Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How 3 fully vaccinated Texans got Covid?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:47 pm
Does anyone have thoughts on how this may have happened to 3 people in one area, if it happens, but its rare?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:53 pm
Its happening more often. Isreal is reporting that the pfizer vaccine is only about 60% effective with the delta variant. I am going to assume this number will drop as cases spread. The media doesn't want to share this, but its happening.

The hypocrisy of those people is another story. Saying everyone should wear masks on airplanes and then they don't do it themselves.

s1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:06 pm
If a vaccine is 95% effective, then for every 100 people who get the vaccine, 5 of them may still catch Covid , most probably it will be milder and most likely they won’t need hospitalisation. So if 1000 people in one area have had the vaccine, 50 may still catch Covid, so it’s very likely that 3 of them in one area get it. In addition, real life doesn’t follow statistics, so if in ten areas 1000 people have the vaccine, in one area 100 people may get Covid and in another area only 2.
This doesn’t mean there’s no point getting the vaccine, or that the vaccine doesn’t work. It does work, it works well and even though it’s not 100% effective, it is still working to break the chain of transmission and reduce serious illness and death.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
The media doesn't want to share this, but its happening.

What do you mean the media doesn't want to share this? It's being reported everywhere.

Forbes

Fortune

CNN

Wall Street Journal

NBC

Reuters

Al Jazeera

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:30 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
What do you mean the media doesn't want to share this? It's being reported everywhere.

Forbes

Fortune

CNN

Wall Street Journal

NBC

Reuters

Al Jazeera

They don't want to publicize that the vaccine isn't working as well as hoped for the delta variant.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:39 pm
Who are "they"? All of those media sources (and more, those were just the first ones that came up on google) are publicizing that it isn't working as well for delta.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:56 pm
Also it depends on what you mean by "works"

In Los Angeles where there is an upsurge driven by Delta, those who are dying or hospitalized are 99% unvaccinated.

In Israel, based on what I have read they do a lot of testing of people who are asymptomatic versus other countries which essentially test only if one is exhibiting symptoms or if one needs a test for some reason. But in general those who are feeling well don't get tested.

I am vaccinated because I don't want to die or get very sick or get long haul COVID. Otherwise I don't particularly care as the odds of a vaccinated person getting very ill or dying are so much less than my odds of dying when I drive to the market.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 1:16 pm
2 of Pelosi's aides, fully vaccinated, who were in contact with them, just tested positive too.

agreer

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 1:29 pm
Why is anyone surprised?

In the beginning, when they were working on the vaccines, they clearly said that if you get Covid-19 while vaccinated, your symptoms should be minimized. The vaccine was meant to prevent serious illness and death.

When it began to work so well, people started saying, "Oh, see, this is just like other vaccines where you get the shot and you don't catch it at all." And it was like that for a bit. Covid rates went down.

But then the virus mutated. Of course the vaccine isn't as effective for a mutation. But B"H it seems like it does prevent serious illness - and that is WONDERFUL.

If someone catches Covid-19 and doesn't get sick, isn't that a good thing? I think it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics