Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New Fantasy Read/ Book Club?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:25 pm
Any suggestions for a new fantasy book or series? Wouldn’t mind reading with some Imas here and discussing! I just finished the entire Grishaverse series (Shadow and Bone trilogy, Six of Crows duology, and King of Scars duology) and liked it a lot (I finished all seven books in like two weeks 🙊). I’d like to read something similar, but only a finished series. Name of the Wind sounds interesting but I’d rather read all three books in a row when the third comes out.

Any ideas?

Aurora

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:27 pm
The Lies of Locke Lamora? I really enjoyed that one.

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:50 pm
Specifically adult, or is YA/middle grade good too?

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 11:22 pm
I love Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 1:08 am
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Specifically adult, or is YA/middle grade good too?

YA is fine, the cleaner the better. The Grishaverse was a little much; I don’t especially like gore or graphic scenes.

Would love to read a new one together!

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:20 am
I'm in the middle of 'a tale of stars and shadow' series by Lisa Cassidy and really enjoying it. There's 4 books to keep you going, and the series is finished so there's no waiting to find out the end.
Before that series I was reading Witchshadow by Susan Dennard. It's the 4th in the witchlands series but the series hasn't finished yet.
Another good series which hasn't finished yet is the black witch by Laurie Forest.
They're all pretty clean series without graphic bedroom scenes.
Sarah J Maas-the throne of glass series is also good and has 7 books to it. I actually liked her court of thorns and roses series better but be warned it does have more graphic scenes in.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:34 am
I just started the Valdemar series from the beginning by Mercedes Lackey, and I'm enjoying it. It is a multi - series. I started with the Heralds of Valdemar, I'm hoping and assuming that as the series develops, it gains more depth. As it's an an older book you might have read it already.

paperflowers

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:00 am
tigerwife wrote:
Name of the Wind sounds interesting but I’d rather read all three books in a row when the third comes out.

So never.

paperflowers

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:03 am
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:

Sarah J Maas-the throne of glass series is also good and has 7 books to it. I actually liked her court of thorns and roses series better but be warned it does have more graphic scenes in.

Is Throne of Glass somewhat cleaner? Court of Thorns and Roses was highly recommended to me but when I looked it up it seemed like some of the books had more graphic and sx-ual content than I'm looking for.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:14 pm
paperflowers wrote:
Is Throne of Glass somewhat cleaner? Court of Thorns and Roses was highly recommended to me but when I looked it up it seemed like some of the books had more graphic and sx-ual content than I'm looking for.

Throne of glass was def cleaner, it's more young adult whilst I think cotar was more adult. I think the later books of throne of glass might have more relationships but don't think it was too explicit.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:20 pm
Coke Slurpee wrote:
I just started the Valdemar series from the beginning by Mercedes Lackey, and I'm enjoying it. It is a multi - series. I started with the Heralds of Valdemar, I'm hoping and assuming that as the series develops, it gains more depth. As it's an an older book you might have read it already.

OOH that's one of my favorite series! She is a really talented writer. She's written several trilogies as well as short stories all set in the same universe. The series do build on each other. (btw be aware that the last herald mage trilogy, the main protagonist is gay if that would bother you.)
I love most of what she's written, in particular also her fairy tale retellings series, particularly her five hundred kingdoms one, as it's a light series which I liked, as a lot of the fantasy books tend to be very heavy reading. There's lots of politics, big questions of good and evil and sometimes I just want more 'fluff' and comedic factor. Her elemental masters series is more historical which is interesting.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:51 pm
Hm, so believe it or not I’ve never read Mercedes Lackey, though I think she’s always mentioned on fantasy threads. Which book or series would you start with?

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:46 pm
So I read the Enduring Flame trilogy and liked it alot.
She has alot of series/trilogies under "Valdemar" world. I just started with the oldest ones she has. It's a trilogy called the "Heralds of Valdemar". It has alot less action then the typical fantasy novel. I hope it will pick up and get more involved as the series moves on. So far it's an enjoyable read, I'm almost done the second book.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:53 pm
Oops! I just googled The Enduring Flame trilogy, and realized it comes after another trilogy she wrote called the Obsidian trilogy. You can totally read it on it's own, but probably makes more sense to start with the Obsidian trilogy first (though I never read it).

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:54 am
tigerwife wrote:
Hm, so believe it or not I’ve never read Mercedes Lackey, though I think she’s always mentioned on fantasy threads. Which book or series would you start with?

If you want to begin the Valdemar series, you should start with the Heralds trilogy which follows Talia's story.
The dragon jousters is also a nice standalone series-basically in a world of slaves and dragon riders, one slave secretly raises his own dragon and wants to set them all free.
But she's got so many different series it's hard to know what to start with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room