Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Urgent!!! need a Mesivta for my son for next zman
1  2  3  Next

Cindy Stein

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:57 am
Hi I’m desperately looking a small mesivta with a dorm for my 16 year old son for 11th grade.
He’s a brilliant ehrlich haimish boy that thrives on individual attention.

We were just told that he’s not accepted in the Yeshiva that he applied for. Any recommendations would be greatly greatly appreciated.

A small good oot or Lakewood yeshiva with a dorm that still accepting applications.

TIA

hcrbg

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:10 am
You can try FTI IN Cherry hill New Jersey

Cindy Stein

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:28 am
hcrbg wrote:
You can try FTI IN Cherry hill New Jersey

Thanks so much. I'm looking for more of yeshivishe mesvita

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:32 am
Try Rabbi Schlanger's Yeshiva in Baltimore. http://bhmb.edu/

Also consider Scranton. My husband teaches at Schlanger's and has students with brothers in Scranton. My stepson did BH very well in Scranton but it is not for everyone. People are overall pretty happy at Schlangers. Both have a dorm and the Schlangers dorms are pretty new.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:34 am
Shlangers is not that small
Did you try South Bend? Naugatuck? (I'll get the spelling right one day)

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:36 am
Cindy Stein wrote:
Hi I’m desperately looking a small mesivta with a dorm for my 16 year old son for 11th grade.
He’s a brilliant ehrlich haimish boy that thrives on individual attention.

We were just told that he’s not accepted in the Yeshiva that he applied for. Any recommendations would be greatly greatly appreciated.

A small good oot or Lakewood yeshiva with a dorm that still accepting applications.

TIA

I can not understood this sick trend of sending young teens away to dorm. Kids that age need the supervision and care of their parents! They are very impressionable, and you should only know the stories my son heard from his dooming friends about what goes on in dorms, yes, the best dorms too!

Cindy Stein

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:41 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
I can not understood this sick trend of sending young teens away to dorm. Kids that age need the supervision and care of their parents! They are very impressionable, and you should only know the stories my son heard from his dooming friends about what goes on in dorms, yes, the best dorms too!

I appreciate your comments and concerns. dorm is not for everyone. I do believe that my son would greatly benefit from being away from home in a good program.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:42 am
OP, where did your son go last year and why is he not going back? That may help those of us with Mesivta boys give advice as to where you should look.

FYI - Bais Hamedrash and Mesivta of Baltimore (R' Slanger's) referenced above is not so easy to get into.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:43 am

If OP is specifically asking for a dorm, I assume she has a good reason. Maybe there are no mesivtas close to her. Maybe there's something at home that it would be better for him to have space from. Maybe there's something in his personality. And it must be very hard to find out now that all the options they had are closed.

OP, would you look in Passaic? Maybe the Clifton Mesivta.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:43 am
Cindy Stein wrote:
I appreciate your comments and concerns. dorm is not for everyone. I do believe that my son would greatly benefit from being away from home in a good program.

I agree! You know your son best and should trust your instincts. There are many boys who thrive in dorm settings at this age.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:44 am

Not ok to call something a sick trend just because you don’t agree with it.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:44 am
My son is only starting middle school so I am not an expert but I have heard really nice things about eitz chaim in Chicago. They have a dorm.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:45 am
Look into Staten island.
I have nephews there and some of the classes are currently on the smaller side (16-20 boys). Plus they describe a warm, cozy atmosphere where older Bais Medrash boys learn 1 on 1 and take a big-brother interest in the younger boys.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:55 am
Carteret is another option that I forgot about

Etz Chaim is a Philly offshoot, looking for "metzuyanim"

As mother of 2 dorming bochurim (no local option for them) I have to say there are also tremendous benefits to a well supervised dorm. There are cases that boys will grow tremendously in that atmosphere. No need to knock OP

Not sure if Roosevelt is the right track or not but you can try that, in Monsey

yaye

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:26 pm
Telz Cleveland?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:31 pm
Was also going to say cataret - warm oot dorm yeshiva

Rabbi prusansky in lkwd - but not if chassidish

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:48 pm
sm236 wrote:
Telz Cleveland?

Was thinking that too, may work, but not so small. 2 shiurim per grade I think

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 12:49 pm
I have heard from friends with older kids that a lot of telshe chicago boys leave for 11th grade. Maybe the two oldest grades have smaller classes?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:10 pm
I also need something simeler I was wondering if there is someone who has knows boys yeshiva’s and can help guide you to were to send my son. I am willing to pay.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 4:08 pm
Wisconsin Institute of Torah Study (WITS) in Milwaukee. The vast majority of the kids dorm. And Milwaukee is a nice little place, especially where WITS is located.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics