Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do u feel uv found ur community?
1  2  Next

zebra111

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 5:57 pm
If u made aliya (or even just moved to a diff country/area than where u grew up I guess) do you feel u have found a community that matched what you dreamed of?

I have bH lived here for around 15yrs now..and I still feel like im 'making do', albeit in a great neighbourhood, but def not my dream..cant help thinking somewhere better exists and im missing it.

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:02 pm
What does uv mean? Is it a new word for you've?

zebra111

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:05 pm
Just a lazy way to type you've

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:18 pm
Yes, we have found our community. And very happy with it.
Been in israel for 18 years and in this community for just over 14 years.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:01 pm
When I came home from seminary determined to make aliyah, my parents asked me why I wanted to live in Israel. My reply was that I had found a community there that I would never be able to find anywhere else, and that was where I needed to be.

I've lived here now for 25 years. I don't know that I had a dream community when I came here, but I knew the kind of environment I was looking for. We are very happy with the community we chose to live in.

We do hope one day to buy, and I doubt we'll ever be able to afford Yerushalayim. So hoping one day to find an equally wonderful, if different community somewhere else.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:27 pm
Here also 15 yrs and hate it

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:53 pm
Yes, we're in the right place. Op, what kind of community are you hoping to find?

(Btw, please don't use texting spelling here. It's hard to read )

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:58 pm
Yes, but sadly it is prohibitively expensive.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:32 am
So happy living in Israel, moderately happy where we currently live, can't move at the moment for various reasons. Yet seriously looking into different places to live.

To add: the majority of my neighbors feel that our community is their forever home, just not the best fit for our family.

salt

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:35 am
Yes, I live in a community I feel very comfortable with, b"H.
I made aliya as a single, been married 25 years, living in current place ~15 years.

Last edited by salt on Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:46 am
We’ve lived in this community for 8 years. It’s perfect for us.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:47 am
Yes, though I sometimes wish there were more olim in our yishuv - after all those years I still find it easier to connect to them than to sabras. It's a mentality/cultural thing, I suppose. But we've bought here and are going to stay, and the place has definitely grown on me over the last decade. And it's a great place for raising kids. I like the mixed levels of frumkeit and the tolerance.

zebra111

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:16 am
I also moved as a single, first few kids raised in one neighbourhood which we loved but wasnt good for the kids, now we moved to an area great for the kids but we the parents its not the best fit.

We're in yerushalayim too, and it is so expensive I dont know we'll ever be able to buy here..

Have you all lived in the same place since your kids were young or have you moved older kids?

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:24 am
zebra111 wrote:
I also moved as a single, first few kids raised in one neighbourhood which we loved but wasnt good for the kids, now we moved to an area great for the kids but we the parents its not the best fit.

We're in yerushalayim too, and it is so expensive I dont know we'll ever be able to buy here..

Have you all lived in the same place since your kids were young or have you moved older kids?

I also came single and married someone with kids. DH and the kids have lived in the same city since they made aliyah when the kids were small. Our youngest from his 1st marriage is in HS and we are not moving til that child graduates. The older kids don't care where we live at this point, they are busy with post HS life.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:51 am
We don't feel we've found our place and pessimist me doesn't think we'll ever find it.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:17 am
I've always felt that Efrat was tailor made for us in terms of community and mind-set (and weather!).
We have been extremely happy here and I am so grateful that we had the privilege to raise our family here even though there were difficult years, especially in the early 2000's and you never know what lies down the road (literally in the case of Efrat Sad ).
Anyway, we are older now and the kids mostly have their own lives even though they still come home for weekends and one is currently still living at home full time.
So we're beginning to feel that at some point in the not too distant future we might think about moving back to Jerusalem. Efrat is very child-centric and although we live in one of the older neighborhoods with people our age, we still feel that at some point we might like to return to the city.
Thing is, last summer my father moved from Jerusalem to the apartment right across from us.
B'H it's a wonderfully convenient set up but it also means that we're here for now.
I suppose that I'm a bit relieved that the issue is closed for now cause we still really do love the Gush which is also developing nicely in terms of conveniences and services, and Jerusalem has become somewhat less attractive to us at the moment with all the crazy construction.

zebra111

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:23 am
We have family that sort of ties us to yerushalayim probably for a long time. Or at least very close by.

In my dreams id live on my own farm Wink
In reality, we need chareidi schools for the kids. The nearest place I know that could potentially fit is yesodot but after much research im not sure its for us in terms of population, and it is stretching the term 'close to jerusalem'!

salt

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:35 am
zebra111 wrote:

We moved when oldest kid was going into 2nd grade.
But it in the same city so he was able to stay in the same school - just different part of town.
Other kids were in gan, so that kind of changes every year anyway so wasn't a bit upheaval.

grace413

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:39 am
Moved here 20 years ago with 2 small children. I wanted to live in Jerusalem but the cost was prohibitive. We were looking for a place with both small children and older people which isnt always easy to find. BH we are very happy here.

Some of the older people (our age) are now downsizing and moving to Jerusalem but we are far from ready to downsize and Etky said Jerusalem is a major construction site now.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:57 am
My oldest is in elementary school. We LOVE where we live b"H. I like to say it's like a shidduch. You can describe what you're looking for but until you find it you can't know exactly what it is. It took us about five years and three communities to find it. I knew after about two weeks that this was a great place for us. I thought it would be too American, but there are plenty of Israelis so we have a nice mix of friends, as do the kids (they were born here and never lived in America, but I love that they can be a friend and help the new Olim in their classes).
I'm not sure if we'll stay here forever. We own our apartment but would like more space, and our city is very expensive, so I'm open to the idea of moving somewhere cheaper one day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions