Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Making entrance hall dramatic w Black Granite floor tiles?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:56 pm
I love granite tiles and the only color thats available now in NY is solid black.

What would make an entrance hall thats about 250 s.f. (not big) modern and dramatic looking, with a black granite tiled floor and gold colored spotlights?

Can I use some companion tiles and make some kind of pattern mixed with some other tile on the sides of the granite or the center of the floor?

What should walls look like?

Any dramatic decorator-y ideas or links or photos, are truly welcome.

tia

funkyfrummom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 4:09 pm
Can you checkerboard it with a white porcelain (or marble) tile?

http://jpdschoolofdesign.blogs......html
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/.....9845/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 4:33 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:

These are really classy photos.

I really love the idea of contrast, but if the thickness of the two tiles isnt identical I may have a mess.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 4:39 pm
Thickness of the tile is a big deal; make sure the mm match. I think black could be really cool. Can you trim in white smaller tile? Something like this:

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 5:13 pm
Only go with this kind of idea if you have a full time maid who will be washing the floor multiple times a day. Every day. Especially for an entrance hall.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Only go with this kind of idea if you have a full time maid who will be washing the floor multiple times a day. Every day. Especially for an entrance hall.

Just the opposite! Im looking for a little contrast thats more practical than what the stores are saying everyone is buying now.

Whichever store I went to, in or near BP, theyre selling the same Carrara Marble-look Porcelain tile, thats almost solid white, and telling me thats what EVERYONE is buying now. Theyre selling very little of anything else. And these tiles are glossy and slippery to the bargain.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:07 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

This.
My mom did black.
It looks perpetually dirty

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
This.
My mom did black.

Dirtier than almost all white, that everyone is buying (Im hearing in the stores)?

If she were redoing her entrance hall floor tiles, what would she do now?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:58 pm
If you go with a white marbleized tile, the more marbleization the less noticeable the dirt will be.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dirtier than almost all white, that everyone is buying (Im hearing in the stores)?

If she were redoing her entrance hall floor tiles, what would she do now?

You're right to avoid slippery white tile!

Speaking as an Israeli: the most successful floor tiles here are a marbled dark-cream/pale gold colour, and large so there isn't so much grout to worry about. Too white - every speck shows. Too dark -- can make the room feel small and dirty. A good colour balance goes a long way to peace of mind.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:08 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
This.
My mom did black.

I love granite and I just saw solid black granite floor tiles near the entrance to the Primark store in Kings Plaza, where hundreds of people go in and out in an hour... it didnt look bad.

But Id have liked to do a contrast kind of job and there are no other colors available in granite tiles.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:09 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:

Ohhhh, I have such a passion for a classic checkerboard!!! But you must have high ceilings to complete the look.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I love granite and I just saw solid black granite floor tiles near the entrance to the Primark store in Kings Plaza, where hundreds of people go in and out in an hour... it didnt look bad.

But Id have liked to do a contrast kind of job and there are no other colors available in granite tiles.

Outdoor lighting? Wide open space? Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:23 pm
Rappel wrote:
Outdoor lighting? Wide open space? Smile

The entrance to Primark was a very high traffic area and indoors.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:28 pm
I have a black with white marbalized porcelain (no buffing or maintenance) it is 15 years old, and I still love it.
It might be dated, as I said it is 15 years old, but It wears well.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:52 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
I have a black with white marbalized porcelain (no buffing or maintenance) it is 15 years old, and I still love it.
It might be dated, as I said it is 15 years old, but It wears well.

Thanks.

Did you do a checkerboard pattern with 2 contrasting colors (black and white), or all tiles the same?

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just the opposite! Im looking for a little contrast thats more practical than what the stores are saying everyone is buying now.

Whichever store I went to, in or near BP, theyre selling the same Carrara Marble-look Porcelain tile, thats almost solid white, and telling me thats what EVERYONE is buying now. Theyre selling very little of anything else. And these tiles are glossy and slippery to the bargain.

Believe it or not, black shows more dirt than white. Light specks of dust that are barely visible on a white floor will stand out on a black one.

If you have full time cleaning help, or never actually use the front hall, go for it. If not, I would advise against black tiles. You can go for very large grey tiles if you want a modern look.

Houzz is a great website and you can search entry halls by floor color.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
Believe it or not, black shows more dirt than white. Light specks of dust that are barely visible on a white floor will stand out on a black one.

If you have full time cleaning help, or never actually use the front hall, go for it. If not, I would advise against black tiles. You can go for very large grey tiles if you want a modern look.

Houzz is a great website and you can search entry halls by floor color.

Im well aware that many are using grey tiles but unfortunately I dislike grey.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:23 am
Glossy marble is dangerous. Too easy to trip.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:25 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Glossy marble is dangerous. Too easy to trip.

This. And when a kid falls on glossy marble s/he will get a bloody lip or gums. Been there done that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics