Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Best way to learn Yiddish? Does it sound doable?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:08 pm
I know not really a chinuch question, but was wondering if anyone know a good way for an adult to learn Yiddish?

I would be able to get a significant raise at work if I would be able to speak/understand Yiddish (I don't need to be a maven, but need to know the basics and pass a bilingual test).

I'm really not good at languages. When I took a language test in Hebrew in high school I just barely past it (while most girls easily got in the 90s) I didn't have the easiest time reading/learning to read in Hebrew either (although I can if I do it at a slightly slower pace with unfamiliar words) I suspect I may have had/have a slight reading disability, but was never tested.... I do know a good few Yiddish words/phrases just from hearing them around, but not nearly enough to follow a real conversation or speak it.

Does it sound like its unrealistic for me to learn Yiddish? I never tried since I thought it was impossible and didn't want to get frustrated but it would be so nice...The actual work won't be harder and a raise would mean either I could work a drop less for the same pay (I would love the extra time) or I could make more (which although we are not desperate, we could still use the money.... )

And what would be a good way to learn? I think I'd do better sort of "playing a game" with something that starts with easy things and gets harder as opposed to something not interactive at all - like a book or video.... Any suggestions?

Stars

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:14 pm
Dualingo app
It’ll take a while but if you’re committed you can do it.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:16 pm
It’s ironic but you might actually need less yiddish language in real life than on the test.
Most of us speak yinglish.
And although I have a Yiddish speaking home, I wonder if I would ace the test.

Can you get samples of previous tests? Does having conversations with Yiddish speakers help, or is it more about studying words, grammar?

Stars

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
It’s ironic but you might actually need less yiddish language in real life than on the test.
Most of us speak yinglish.
And although I have a Yiddish speaking home, I wonder if I would ace the test.

Can you get samples of previous tests? Does having conversations with Yiddish speakers help, or is it more about studying words, grammar?

This is true but it doesn’t help op. She needs to pass the test in order to get the raise.

synthy

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:30 pm
Do you need to know English just to pass the test? Because if you'll to know it in order to communicate with the yiddish speaking American chassidish crowd, Duolingo or anything online is barely related to the heimishe yiddish, and will have you sounding like Google Translate (which is absolutely terrible in Yiddish translation). A heimishe yiddish can probably only be taught with a private mentor, and it should be pretty easy as there's a ton of English thrown in and its more of a slang, no official grammar rules etc.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:52 pm
Are you talking about the BEA test?

helpful

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:18 pm
If your referring to the Yiddish BEA exam, it's quite different than the typical Yiddish we use today, so driving yourself crazy to learn Yiddish might not be so helpful.
If you have some familiarity of the language, I would suggest taking the exam without practicing beforehand. The curve is pretty decent, so you might just pass. If ch"v you don't pass, you'll have more of an idea of what to study before retaking the exam if you choose to try again. (I believe the wait time to retake the exam is not very long and the test is not very costly.)

ETA: If you are referring to the BEA, feel free to PM me if you need more details about the exam. I can try to be of assistance.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:41 pm
I'm really learning a lot with duolingo. I'm familiar with yiddish and understand quite a bit, but not fully. But I never could form sentences and speak it myself. It's so easy, and I see so much improvement after a few weeks. It's also a chassidish yiddish. Not a yiddishist one.

Batsheva1

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 11:09 pm
I saw they were giving Yiddish classes online at the Yivo institute in NY. If I had time I would take them myself. Google Yivo and you'll get to their website.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics