Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Septic tanks

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:23 pm
I’m looking at houses that have septic tanks I know nothing about it. Can you tell me all the cons? Would this be a reason not to buy the house?

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:11 pm
Definitely not a reason to not buy a house. They are very common in upstate NY. You need to pump them annually or bi annually depending on the system.

How old is yours? If it's new they are literally amazing.

You need to add some chemicals to some systems. Get it inspected to make sure it's functioning.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:33 pm
Thank you! Do you find that you need to worry about showering, laundering and having a dishwasher run at the same time?

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
Thank you! Do you find that you need to worry about showering, laundering and having a dishwasher run at the same time?

No why would you?

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 9:49 pm
Septic systems are very simple. When you have it inspected ask how often it needs to be pumped The tank lasts forever, you may want to find out how old the septic field is.
Some say not to do too much laundry on one day if you have a top loader machine, a front loader use much less water and isn't an issue.
One thing to know is not to flush tissues, only toilet paper. My neighbor learned the hard way.
Otherwise I don't know the difference except I don't have a sewer bill :-)

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:35 pm
Forgive me - no tissues?? What about wipes??? Oy….

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:42 pm
In Jackson, nj it is very common.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:49 pm
We just had to replace our seepage tank for close to $8000
If you need to replace both septic (for waste) and seepage (for the water) it’s about $15,000
However, that usually only happens once in many years. We bought our house ten yrs ago. We never had septic issues till recently. The previous owners had replaced the septic but the seepage was probably 40 yrs old.
So make sure you find out how old it is, get it checked out well, and make sure it’s the correct size for your size family. If it’s too small, you will have issues.
Other than than that, you cannot flush wipes (even flushable ones) and only septic safe toilet paper. The septic guy told us Aspen tissues (the boxes with pix of mountains on it) are good also, and we use them for shabbos with no problems.
I have never limited the loads of laundry or showers, but I don’t have a tremendous family. If you have a lot of kids you probably do need to think about that.
Your septic should be cleaned out approximately every 2 years or so.
It’s nice not to have a water bill.
If you never have problems it comes out cheaper with septic.
If you have problems it can cost a lot more.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:26 am
Thank you all so much. Have learned a lot.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:30 am
If a septic tank is old, it does bring down the value of the house. I bought my house 4 years ago, am looking into getting connected to city sewer since it's available in my area. But when we bought our house, they didn't disclose about the septic, and my lawyer was able to get them to come down on the price of the house because of this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating