Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Buying 2nd hand - question

chatz

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:13 am
I was interested in purchasing an appliance 2nd hand. My question is - what do people do for transport? Things like fridges, couches, bookshelves, etc. You can't just put it in a car or minivan. You would need something more. Do people rent a truck? Would a mover do it for cheap enough that it's still cheaper than buying new? What affordable options are there to move an appliance locally?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:17 am
For us it's usually not worthwhile due to transport unless it's something light enough that we can move ourselves. Also you don't know the real condition of the item.
Sometimes it's a high end item that we can't get it's worthwhile if you get the right price and someone to transport it.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:25 am
I have a standing deep freezer I’d like to sell. We just don’t have room for it. It’s in almost-new condition bec it’s so much bigger than we use. I haven’t put up ads yet bec I can’t figure out how someone would transport if. Doesn’t make sense to me. But maybe there’s a freezer shortage?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:45 am
We own a 12 passenger van. Take out the seats and anything goes in Very Happy

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:58 am
What is affordable. You can often find someone with a truck that will move something for a relatively small a,int. Whether that cost is low enough so that buying the object still makes sense 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I have used a service called Lugg which is like Uber for moving and is essentially for moving small amounts of furniture. It isn’t dirt cheap but again depends on what the total cost would be. And many stores charge for delivery even if you buy new.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:02 am
We have a 7 seater car and with the seats folded down flat, we can get most furniture items in-fridge freezer, couch, bed (may take more than one shift though). When we furnished our first house, we hired a van for a few hours to pick up some of the larger items, or paid a courier to transport it for us. We also visited a furniture thrift shop and bought our table, chairs and bookcases from them, and paid for them to deliver it for us.
I would be careful about getting stuff without having seen it first though, especially appliances. We bought most of our appliances new as we were nervous to get them second hand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics