Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Money for registration

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:59 am
So I was presented with registration of a few hundred dollars per kid. Is this normal? In addition to tuition. Yeshivish school in Brooklyn.

keym

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:03 pm
I don't know about Brooklyn.
But in Lakewood, I get a yearly registration fee of between $150 and$300 per kid depending on the school.

lfab

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:05 pm
I don't know of it's normal but the school my kids go to charges $600 per kid for registration Mad

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:05 pm
Totally normal. There is a cost to processing applications, not to mention that a fee keeps families from applying to ten schools and deciding where to go at the last minute. (Yes, there really are such people.)

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:10 pm
Yeshivish school in Chicago $150 per kid grades pre1a-8 and $100 for kids going into nursery. If you register early you get $50 a kid as a tuition credit. There are other fees too. You can roll it into your monthly payments if you cant pay it all at once.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
Totally normal. There is a cost to processing applications, not to mention that a fee keeps families from applying to ten schools and deciding where to go at the last minute. (Yes, there really are such people.)

We pay a registration fee every year. These reasons don't apply. Noone is applying to various schools on a yearly basis. It's just a way to get more money.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
We pay a registration fee every year. These reasons don't apply. Noone is applying to various schools on a yearly basis. It's just a way to get more money.

Yup. I just add up all the registration fees and the family building fee and consider that my real tuition cost.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:23 pm
I pay registration fees every year ($100-$250), but they are then applied toward the next year's tuition. The tuition statement clearly shows the amount already paid, which is that fee. I do not think it is a way to make more money, but rather make parents commit to sending the following year. I have this in two different schools.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:23 pm
I pay 750 per kid per year. 1-200$ I’d understand. 750 is insane.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:24 pm
Totally normal here in Lakewood.

The schools say that it is because by breaking up bills more parents pay. Even parent who don't always pay their tuition usually pay their registration fees

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:25 pm
For $750 I would expect that to be a credit on my tuition like making a deposit.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:38 pm
mha3484 wrote:
For $750 I would expect that to be a credit on my tuition like making a deposit.

You would think, but no.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:48 pm
I pay $500 for registration (Monsey)

mommy12

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:41 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Our school does it that way. It's $100 per kid and then it gets taken off our tuition.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:52 pm
Our school has a nominal registration fee with most applied to tuition of the next year if done in time. This is used to start getting classes setup with an expectation of that student being there (desks, books, personnel, etc). If you're last minute because you didn't want to commit, the school has a harder job preparing properly. If you don't come to school, we still had to buy supplies when you told the school in the spring your kids was coming...

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:39 pm
My son's school in Brooklyn charges $250 registration fee on top of tuition. they charge it every single year so its obviously not about discouraging us from applying to other schools because were not switching schools every year. just another way to suck every penny out of us...

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:50 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
My son's school in Brooklyn charges $250 registration fee on top of tuition. they charge it every single year so its obviously not about discouraging us from applying to other schools because were not switching schools every year. just another way to suck every penny out of us...

Yup, and the kids name hasn't changed either lol

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 4:04 pm
its a way to make money. if they want to stop parents from applying and canceling, I understand, but then let it be a nonrefundable fee to go towards tuition if they stay.

but I live in quns. they charge arnd 600 per kid for registration and it increases around 50 each year.(one child is 850 a yr) you cant tell me it takes that much to register my kids who have already been in school. furthermore, im the one who has to take my time to use their "not" user friendly website and put all the information in again or read everything and click thats its correct. I also have to spend time to call them about why their system doesnt let me click etc as there are so many glitches.

its not part of my tuition and I have to put aside my tax refund to pay these crazy fees. this is also why I opted out of the advance child tax credit. I cant use the $ now. I need it next april when the schools start charging me the "reregistering exorbitant fees".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics