Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financial Assistance for $$$$$ Deductibles and Copays

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:04 pm
Is there financial assistance for medical bills that are in the tens of thousands due to co-pays and insurance? This is for someone who has good insurance, but unfortunately very high hospital bills.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:09 pm
Contact Rccs

We have high deductible, out of pocket.
Right now we have a payment plan for surgery from beginning of year so can pay it slowly.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:16 pm
Some hospitals have a financial assistance department. They ask for some income documents and they give you a discount.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
Some hospitals have a financial assistance department. They ask for some income documents and they give you a discount.

Thanks! This hospital has other criteria as well, therefore they are not offering even a penny discount

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
Contact Rccs

We have high deductible, out of pocket.
Right now we have a payment plan for surgery from beginning of year so can pay it slowly.

I thought they are for cancer?
Do they offer financial assistance for other illnesses, too?

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:43 pm
I have a very high deductible plan and the hospitals would never lower the bills. They never even agreed to look at financial documents. I think the hospitals will only negotiate with you if you don't have insurance and are paying entirely out of pocket. If you have insurance I think their feeling is that when you signed up for the plan you knew what your out of pocket expenses would be and its not their problem. The only thing they ever agreed to do was send the bill to collections if I don't pay within a month Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
I have a very high deductible plan and the hospitals would never lower the bills. They never even agreed to look at financial documents. I think the hospitals will only negotiate with you if you don't have insurance and are paying entirely out of pocket. If you have insurance I think their feeling is that when you signed up for the plan you knew what your out of pocket expenses would be and its not their problem. The only thing they ever agreed to do was send the bill to collections if I don't pay within a month Sad

Most hospitals I have dealt with have some financial assistance program.

This one has very specific criteria (I'm addition to income)

However, all the bills add up.. so the lowered bills from the other hospitals plus this...

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought they are for cancer?
Do they offer financial assistance for other illnesses, too?

They help for many things

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:50 pm
Medical bills now account for the major portion of debt in the US so there is clearly a problem.

However even with a high deductible plan your total out of pocket expenses are capped annually. That is why hospitals don't negotiate in general with people who are insured because the amount they are negotiating down to with uninsured people would be equivalent to the out of pocket caps for someone with health insurance.

Also medical bills come from different sources so it is not as if the only medical bill is from a hospital.

I am not defending the US health insurance system as we have the highest per capita costs with no better results than other western nations. At least health insurance - even with high deductibles limits the annual out of pocket expense to something that is not catastrophic.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
Medical bills now account for the major portion of debt in the US so there is clearly a problem.

However even with a high deductible plan your total out of pocket expenses are capped annually. That is why hospitals don't negotiate in general with people who are insured because the amount they are negotiating down to with uninsured people would be equivalent to the out of pocket caps for someone with health insurance.

Also medical bills come from different sources so it is not as if the only medical bill is from a hospital.

I am not defending the US health insurance system as we have the highest per capita costs with no better results than other western nations. At least health insurance - even with high deductibles limits the annual out of pocket expense to something that is not catastrophic.

how is this helpful to the OP?
I'm asking for resources for assistance, not a rundown on our Healthcare system, which I am quite familiar with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics