Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Day camp counselor tips
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:06 pm
Live in Lakewood. I normally always give something small to my kids daycamp counselors. Even if all I can afford is $5 sprinkles gift card.
This year just today I got a note letting the parents know when the first half counselors last day working will be and “a tip would be appreciated “ in actually turned off now from giving anything. I just found it so off putting!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:07 pm
And this is a “big” backyard daycamp…never sent before so maybe they do this every year but I’ve never had that anywhere else…

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:14 pm
That is off putting. Reminds me of my experience last night at a restaurant that automatically charged us an 18% tip an son the receipt that had a spot if you wanted to tip even more. And it was just me and my husband-not a huge party at all.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:14 pm
They always send the notes home in day camps. Only place that never sent home was playgroups.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:23 pm
While it may be of putting, and I think it is, please remember your issue is with the camp not the child who has been working hard to give your child a great summer. Please don’t punish the counselors. I have no issues with you taking up with the camp that they either should not charge so much or that they need to pay the counselors better and have a no tipping policy (or at least expectation)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
They always send the notes home in day camps. Only place that never sent home was playgroups.

Really? In Lakewood in backyard daycamps? They always send home notes like that? Never had that until now nor have I ever had that when I was a counselor in a big daycamp in town

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
While it may be of putting, and I think it is, please remember your issue is with the camp not the child who has been working hard to give your child a great summer. Please don’t punish the counselors. I have no issues with you taking up with the camp that they either should not charge so much or that they need to pay the counselors better and have a no tipping policy (or at least expectation)

I said it was a backyard daycamp that means that there are like 3 counselors and the one who sent home the note owns the camp. Don’t worry I’ll end up giving I just am really turned off by that note!

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I said it was a backyard daycamp that means that there are like 3 counselors and the one who sent home the note owns the camp. Don’t worry I’ll end up giving I just am really turned off by that note!

You never need to tip an owner. Same for hair salon……
If she is a woman, just tip the 15 year olds. If they are all women, no need to tip. If they are all 15, they are splitting the pot, as my 16 year old did last summer when she made a camp with her friends.

I was referring to a camp which hires kids as counselors and pay them about $200 for a month/$50 a week.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:49 pm
so for you sure the big camps have tip recommendations.
I don't recall backyard camps as it's been a while since I sent there, but it does make sense. it isn't like she asked you to tip her, just her counselors/assistants, I assume. it's pretty standard in camp. as someone mentioned, they don't make much.
my son worked as a JC last summer and didn't get paid much. the tips added up to about the same as his pay and makes it more worthwhile.
of course, for a person who finds it difficult, just a token of hakaras hatov. but if a person is able to tip, it is also hakaras hatov

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:55 pm
Ok it may be a newer thing then. If it’s normal to send home a note reminding parents to tip if they can in a backyard day camp then in a way I’m happy for the hired counselors! When I was a counselor I got maybe one tip out of 22 girl bunk and I worked for 6 summers.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
You never need to tip an owner. Same for hair salon……
If she is a woman, just tip the 15 year olds. If they are all women, no need to tip. If they are all 15, they are splitting the pot, as my 16 year old did last summer when she made a camp with her friends.

I was referring to a camp which hires kids as counselors and pay them about $200 for a month/$50 a week.

In Lakewood no one gets paid 50/weeks as far as o know
Coming out of 8th makes 80, 9th makes 90 etc

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:

in brooklyn, JCs get paid $100-$200 a month (going into 9th gr, I guess)

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:18 pm
I have a backyard camp in lakewood. Girls get paid $100/wk. I usually send a text telling parents when is assistants last's day ! A treat or a card works just as well as a $5 tip!! I think those teenagers need to feel appreciated for their hard work.
As much as it is off putting to be told to give a tip you have to realize most parents will not give anything (not even a "Thank you, my kid was so happy!!")unless they are told that assistants are leaving!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:39 pm
My girls have been working in Lakewood backyard daycamps since 6th grade and big camps through high school. Maybe 5 kids "tip" each year and that is usually a chocolate bar/danish my graduate said she got $5 gift cards maybe twice in her life. She did get lots of notes.

My daughters are image councious but told me to give chocolate bars, even to twelth graders who they are friendly with. She actually went to buy chocolate bars herself. I wanted to give cash/gift cards but it was going to be a hassle and my girls said not to bother, no one is expecting.

Truth is little kids (elementary) are making enough for their age. I feel bad for the HS girls but they could choose better paying jobs, they just prefer camp. (I do not let my daughters be counselor after 12th because of the pay. I'm sorry offices are no fun. Too bad). If the girl really "needs" money she will get a different job. In lkwd the girl knows she's earning almost nothing and is taking the job because it's fun and all her friends are doing it.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:01 pm
Wow, I guess things are different in Lakewood... In Brooklyn, this sounds typical

fleetwood

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:

My Brooklyn 15 yr old.. literally makes pennies...about 1.50 an hour..

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:11 pm
I'm in Flatbush. I got notes from the big day camps but not the backyard one. I just give everyone a $5 gift card to an ice cream store, with a personal thank you card

I know counselors work hard and are underpaid. I spent many summers as a counselor. But camp costs a fortune and this is all I can afford.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I'm in Flatbush. I got notes from the big day camps but not the backyard one. I just give everyone a $5 gift card to an ice cream store, with a personal thank you card

I know counselors work hard and are underpaid. I spent many summers as a counselor. But camp costs a fortune and this is all I can afford.

Would u consider giving 5$ vs a gift card to an ice cream store?

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:28 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Would u consider giving 5$ vs a gift card to an ice cream store?

I would. I just feel like $5 looks so cheap. As opposed to a gift card, they can get a sundae or milkshake with it. Do you think counselors would just prefer the cash?

I really do feel bad giving so little...its just that if I give the full amount the camp suggests it would be approx $150 per kid. And with back to school/holiday season coming up it's really hard to lay out so much money

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 9:27 pm
I think $5 is very nice! I actually don't expect parents to give more than that!!
(If 10 parents give $5 that's $50 in tips, it's a very nice amount!!!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics