Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
United Refuah HealthShare - Can you share your experience?

Raw

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 12:57 pm
Hi,

Our current healthcare is not working for our family. We spend an obscene amount monthly and have a huge deductible. We end up having to pay for most things anyway out of pocket and just have insurance for the "what if, g-d forbid" scenario.

We are 2 young, healthy (no pre-existing conditions, no medications) adults and 4 small (healthy except for regular kids' stuff) children, thank g-d.

I've read the information about Refuah and it looks like a great option for us as it can potentially save us thousands of dollars a year but I'm hesitating because I don't know anyone using it who can tell me the cons.

If you are on Refuah HealthShare, can you please share your opinions on here? I would love to hear anything and everything you have to say.

Thank you!

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:06 pm
We are on it and love it actually went through one pregnancy on it, our kids qualify for ny insurance through marketplace we pay very little for around 50.
Had we had insurance as a couple it would cost us almost 1000 !!

Raw

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:31 pm
Thanks. I would love to hear more information. Please!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:15 pm
Bump

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:42 pm
Anyone have it in Lakewood? How does it work?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 2:41 pm
Hi,
I'm on it and I live in Lakewood.
So far, I'm having a great experience.
You need to be on top of the paperwork and have easy access to a computer.
If not it can be a pain.
It's definitely not as easy as having regular insurance, but I'm saving thousands of dollars a year, so for me it's definitely worth the inconvenience.

Refuah Healthshare is very on top of the game and I get my reimbursement check really quickly. They're also great and super helpful with any questions I have.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Hi,
I'm on it and I live in Lakewood.
So far, I'm having a great experience.
You need to be on top of the paperwork and have easy access to a computer.
If not it can be a pain.
It's definitely not as easy as having regular insurance, but I'm saving thousands of dollars a year, so for me it's definitely worth the inconvenience.

Refuah Healthshare is very on top of the game and I get my reimbursement check really quickly. They're also great and super helpful with any questions I have.

Do you have a number?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 5:09 pm
I thought about it a couple years back but had a few friends on it who all had bad experiences. Doing research it seemed that they don’t always approve claims and you could be out thousands of dollars that you thought would be reimbursed..

Also one thing to keep in mind is that there’s a few states (like NJ) that will make you pay a large fee when you file your taxes if you did not have health insurance during the entire year. The fee depends on family size and income, but is usually around the amount that you would have paid for a basic insurance plan through the marketplace for the year.

(Ex from nj: family with 2 adults and 3 kids earning under 200k annually would be between 2,300-5k total as a fee)

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:07 pm
Can I get it if I am on insurance? I would like to use a doctor that doesn’t take insurance and my plan doesn’t have out of network.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:28 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I thought about it a couple years back but had a few friends on it who all had bad experiences. Doing research it seemed that they don’t always approve claims and you could be out thousands of dollars that you thought would be reimbursed..

Also one thing to keep in mind is that there’s a few states (like NJ) that will make you pay a large fee when you file your taxes if you did not have health insurance during the entire year. The fee depends on family size and income, but is usually around the amount that you would have paid for a basic insurance plan through the marketplace for the year.

(Ex from nj: family with 2 adults and 3 kids earning under 200k annually would be between 2,300-5k total as a fee)

When the ACA was passed, being enrolled in a Healthshare satisfied the requirement and no one was liable for any penalties.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:34 am
bump

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:50 am
I was on it, it was pretty good.

We payed for the security of ‘if anything happened’ we’d be covered. One year we didn’t use at all, another year we did.

I did have to negotiate a birth with them, but they came through (80/20).

In general what I’ve learned was that they’d rather I’d say to doctors or hospitals that I’m uninsured, get the cheap rate, and then give them the bill or receipt for reimbursement.

They have a yearly well visit that they pay for fully up to a certain amount, but they were very strict with how it was billed (as wellness) in order to get it reimbursed or payed for.

In general they came through for us and it worked for us for a few years.

(Covid was a hard year so we ended up getting back on Medicaid.)

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:51 am
Double post

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:53 am
I have a child with a pre existing condition. Would I qualify?

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:32 pm
Is the marketplace better than Refuah?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 5:23 pm
For preexisting conditions, they don't cover anything that has to do with the preexisting condition... so I was applying, and I have asthma. They said they would not cover any ER visits etc that were for asthma.

I think Refuah is great for healthy non-pregnant adults (and their children). That will cover a lot of people in their 20s and 30s. The reality is its rare to have someone in their 40s with no health condition whatsoever.

I think there's also a BMI requirement but I don't know what it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics