Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Cape may

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:41 pm
Anyone going next week? Looking to make a minyan and can’t find a hotel. Anyone stay in nice hotel in cape may. Prefer a suite so kids in separate room. Want to go whale watching, the zoo, find empty beach and boardwalk, nice park to make a barbque. Anything else to do in cape may?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 4:46 pm
Cape May is a beautiful beach area but one of the most crowded ones I've ever been to, so it's very unlikely you will find empty beach or boardwalk.....
Also, a lot of the hotels are bed and breakfast type in old fashioned historic homes. Last time I was there I was able to get a room in a regular type hotel but it wasn't easy, very few available. And the hotels are mostly old and a bit rundown (albeit well maintained. Not the type with a lobby area where adults or kids can hang out exactly).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:58 pm
Thank you!!

Anything else to do there if beach is crowded?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!!

Anything else to do there if beach is crowded?

Not really unless you drive a bit to get to other attractions. It's a very small town with expensive boutiques and gift shops basically. A grocery store. Etc. I think there's a little trolley ride with a guided tour. But honestly I wouldn't bother going if I wasn't planning on spending the bulk of my time at the beach, your kids will probably be very bored. And it's not just the beach area that is crowded, it's the whole town. And you can expect to see people walking around all over in bathing suits, which may not be something you are comfortable with. It's a classic "beach town" in that sense.

The Cape May Ferry is nice. But you don't need to stay at the beach to do that. And you'd probably have to drive a bit to find a park to make a BBQ in

Also to be aware, I was there once on a solo vacation and while shopping in the gift shops and had a couple of encounters with different store owners /workers who clearly were not pleased an obviously religious Jew was there. I was polite and waited my turn very patiently so there was no reason for the attitude I got (which other customers didn't). That was just me in my long sleeves and skirt, can't imuagine they'd be happy to see a man or boys with a yarmulke.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone going next week? Looking to make a minyan and can’t find a hotel. Anyone stay in nice hotel in cape may. Prefer a suite so kids in separate room. Want to go whale watching, the zoo, find empty beach and boardwalk, nice park to make a barbque. Anything else to do in cape may?

Try Wildwood but almost everything was booked a while ago.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:01 pm
We enjoyed Cape May as a daytrip. We got there early and left after a barbecue dinner. I believe we hit most of the attractions in one day and had a blast!

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Did you end up going?
I'd like to go and would love to know if you found a minyan?
An empty beach area?
What did you end up doing?

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 12:21 am
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:
We enjoyed Cape May as a daytrip. We got there early and left after a barbecue dinner. I believe we hit most of the attractions in one day and had a blast!

What did you do that filled a fun filled day?

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:44 am
And any reviews on any of the dolphin tours?

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:49 pm
BUMP. Any ideas on things to do there and where the quietest part of the beach may be?

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 8:53 pm
There aren't any quiet areas. It is a jam packed beach, where you will have trouble finding an empty patch to spread out a towel even. Wildwood is just as crowded.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 10:50 pm
Thanks, so do you have any suggestions for a quieter/roomier place on the beach along the NJ shore? Also, any ideas of what to do in Wildwood/Cape May besides the ferry and zoo?

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 11:03 pm
There's the cape may lighthouse
Playland amusement park
Go kart near amusement park
It's all next to beach. It's a beach town. Lots of ppl. More pritzes than I thought
Fast dolphin rides if you want more like speedboat type. Thundercat or the silver bullet or the screamer.
On the way down is mainlands. They have ropes course and go kart and zip lines. Fun. But they close if any inclement weather at all and don't refund as far as I know

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 11:48 pm
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Thanks, so do you have any suggestions for a quieter/roomier place on the beach along the NJ shore? Also, any ideas of what to do in Wildwood/Cape May besides the ferry and zoo?

Boardwalk and amusement parks.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 8:12 am
I don't think you will find any quiet/roomy areas of the beach in that area at all, especially this time of year.
If you want to find empty stretches of beach as well as do things like whale watching and lighthouse tours, I'd advise you to travel farther north (maybe Massachusetts) or south (the Carolinas). I've been to many beache areas up and down the east coast and the Jersey Shore is the most crowded one I've been to. Well, Rehoboth Beach is pretty close.
Or you can wait till after Labor Day and things will thin out a bit. (Not on Labor Day weekend itself, I've been to Cape May then and it is packed to the gills.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics