Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
New reality show debuting! Post your funniest hospital stor
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:03 pm
Hug Hugs and love OP; to you and your little one! Your attitude is amazing. Hashem should send you strength and should send LO a huge huge Yeshua and Refuah Shelaima!

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:04 pm
Ok I just got out of the hospital (gallbladder) and seriously- no one knows how to take temperature.
Every 4 hours someone would stick a thermometer somewhere random in my mouth.
Sometimes I would crane my neck to try to put it into a more normal place under my tongue, leaving my neck in uncomfortable positions.
Or I’d wait till they started to give up on getting a good reading and would sweetly offer to do it myself.

I cannot understand this - why does no one actually make an effort to put the thermometer in the right spot?
Was it just me or does it happen to everyone?
I thought it was hilarious.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:14 pm
rikkik wrote:
I went to visit my grandmother who was in critical condition. When I walked into the hospital, I got confused when they started running to me with a wheelchair, and asking me how I felt. Turns out they thought I was there to give birth (I was 8 months pregnant).

Lol. This reminds of my oldest's birth. I came in on a Friday night. They told me nothing doing and sent me too the bikur cholom house a few blocks away with a sleeping pill. Early in the morning I was walked back in full throes of back labor. I don't know if any of you ladies do this, but I'm the group Lamaze classes, the instructed taught us a "dance" to ease back labor in which you sway from side to side with your backside sticking out. Think slow, ungraceful, jerky twerking. In class, we women were so embarrassed to try it out on front of each other. But in that moment, in the parking lot of hospital, instincts took over and I was bent over with my derriere out and practically lunging from side to side. My husband says "your blocking traffic". I was. Anyway, half way across the parking lot, I was met by two nurses with a wheel chair. They told me they noticed me from the fifth floor (maternity ward) windows and the came to get me. I was in so much pain that I didn't feel the least bit of shame.

rachel0615

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
I officially do not sleep when I'm in the hospital. So for the 3 days I was there after a c-section, the same night nurse came at different timings to try to catch me sleeping.
When I had gallbladder issues after having that baby, and I was stuck in the hospital for a whole week, every time there was shift change, I overheard the nurse telling the new nurse on call: in bed B we have Mrs so and so, she's post partum and very weepy about not being with her baby, treat her nicely.
Then there was the time by a different birth that the Dr actually forgot to come and discharge me. I was crying the whole day that it's not fair, I'm always the lucky recipient of peoples forgetfulness.

Are you me????

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:55 pm
Omg Hawthorne-
You had me laughing so hard with that one!

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 9:16 pm
I mentioned before my DD was constantly hospitalized in the first two years of her life. She’s a medical kid. Once, we were there for about a week with her. The next week, her older sister came down with pneumonia and needed hospitalization. She was put in the same room her younger sister had been in the week before Smile The docs and nurses in peds were the same ones and they were like “you were just here!”

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 9:29 pm
Another one... I gave birth via c section on erev shavuos. My DD was in the NICU that was on a different floor. Rav told us that we can use the elevator but try to ask a non Jew to do the buttons on Yom Tov. We went to the nurse with the most Italian last name and asked her to do it for us. She gladly agreed. On the way to the elevator we were shmoozing and she’s like “oh, is this the cheesecake holiday?? My mom is Jewish...”

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 10:01 pm
Went to the bathroom 1 day postpartum, nurse came in needing me for something, my husband was there holding the baby so he told her, "she's in the bathroom." Obviously thinking that she would wait or come back later...well...she took that as helpful information for her to know where to go Laugh and barged right in! I heard her coming so quickly threw the garbage can in front of the door and she pushed it right into me (my phone just autocorrected that to pished which is apropos). We still laugh about it. The best part is that the information she so desperately needed from me, my husband was perfectly capable of providing and she knew that!

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 10:07 pm
I've had more than 1 doctor walk into my room, notice me sitting up in my robe reading, apologize, and walk back out. After checking the room number these doctors would come back in looking for the really ill patient my records had led them to expect. 'Are you SURE you're Mrs. X? ' (Nope. I actually hid her under the bed and am sitting here just to confuse you.)

After a surgery I was out of bed, walking perfectly steadily to the bathroom. A nurse scolded me, 'there is NO WAY you can walk yet! Don't let me catch you doing it again!'

I was once receiving a transfusion and the tubing detached so I was lying in a pool of blood. My nurse's first response was "oh, but didn't we already change your linen today?"

One afternoon the babies in the NICU were mighty active. The nurses had to replace several ng/og s over the course of the afternoon. Then a nurse took a 15 minute break and returned to find that 3 of these tiny mischief makers, including my dc, had managed to pull their tubes out again in the short time she'd been gone. She said she didn't think she'd need to be a disciplinarian in the NICU. Mind you, this was in the Level III section where the babies were REALLY tiny and struggling. Apparently they still had enough energy to coordinate their mischief.

A baby was admitted to the NICU with seizures and blood sugar issues because his mom had uncontrolled GD. He was a 'real sugar baby', over 12lbs, while the other babies in that section ranged from 2 to 4lbs. One resident or fellow wanted to know when they started admitting toddlers to the NICU. When the mom heard that she said 'toddler? compared to the other babies mine looks like a hulking teen!"

When my grandmother a"h was in the hospital she had her siddur and the book 'All For the Boss' on her bedside table. An aide must have noticed that she'd kiss the siddur before putting it down. Next time she was in the room the aide respectfully kissed 'All For the Boss' because 'I see it's a holy book with the rabbi's picture.'

My mother was wearing a long tichel while visiting my grandmother, whose roommate was a nun. The nun wasn't in the room when someone came looking for her and asked my mother, "are you Sister?"

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 10:56 pm
My DC was in the PICU over holiday season.
One of the nurses put a x-mas themed hair clip into my DC hair. It really bothered my father, who was there with her, so he removed it and put it aside. The nurse came in later, and put the clip back into her hair. So my dad removed it, and dumped it. The nurse was so mad and insulted, so she avoided my father whenever she entered the room.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:29 am
N

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:17 am
I moved away from E”Y close to 10 years ago, a few years ago, we went for a summer and my mazel I fell down the steps at the kotel and got badly injured and taken to the ER (so much for once in a lifetime vacation ). Anyways, I get to S.Z. After not having been there in years and the doctor who comes to meet me at the entrance says “You again ?! , we were just talking about you at our last meeting, we thought you didn’t like our hospitality any more, it’s been so long since you were here”. I guess I am that memorable 🤣. (The last time I had stayed there there had been a whole political situation where they misread my MRI , told me I was fine when I had discitis, and then got insulted when I ended up switching hospitals to Hek and not trusting them after that). But not too many choices of hospitals and I didn’t expect everyone to still remember that.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:12 am
rachel0615 wrote:
Are you me????

Well there's that theory out there that everyone has a twin somewhere in the world.....so..... Hi

One of the other posts reminds me: at one of my c-section births I was so sick I couldn't see straight. Literally for 24 hours after my eyes were going around in circles and as suddenly as the dizziness started it stopped. So I was up and about walking around my room when someone dressed in scrubs walks in, looks around, walks out and I saw him checking the name plate by the door and walks back in confused as ever. He asks me if I'm so and so and I answer him yes I'm her. He introduces himself as head of anesthesia and according to what he heard he wants to know if I wanna come jogging with him in the mornings since I seem to be doing fine and not suffering from the after effects of anesthesia. I don't sit after surgery, I'm up and about even if it's pacing the room I feel restless so jogging sounds like a wonderful idea especially since I don't sleep anyway.
Im still waiting for the guy to call me.....(it's been about 4 years ago!)

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:26 am
My son was in the burn unit when he was two. Real mischief maker.
He kept pushing the buttons on the machines, and they came running each time. While he was on morphine & kukoo he was running on the waxed hallway floors, they were yelling at me, "can't you take care of him?" He can fall!" He nebech was so bored locked into a hospital room for a week. Then he saw playroom open at night & grabbed a pull dog and walked it across the hallway, they came running that he is waking up all the patients. He grabbed a doll carriage out of another toddlers hands & pushed it straight into her chest where her burn was.
Being so bored I took him outside. He was jumping on the grass/flowers. I told him look at the sign, it says no stepping on the flowers, he right then pulled out the sign from the ground saying" now it doesn't say anymore!"

They were trying to make a child abuse case when I arrived, about the burn. They asked me a random question if he is a righty or lefty, I didn't know where they were going with that, I just responded he uses both hands, it's impossible to know by two what they are. Then I asked why they needed to know, they told me, his burn is on his right hand but not in Palm but outside, we wanted to verify if you said he grabbed the hot thing with his hand, how is that possible if he is a righty. I responded that, my child has a burn, do you want me to know exactly how it happened? He was crying he got burned, I just grabbed him to the sink to run water over the burn with one hand & with the other hand I called an ambulance.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:36 am
My son was in the hospital very sick with crazy hi fevers. Sleeping all week. They wanted to check if his mind is all there. They asked him" how old are you? He responded, in midst of his sleeping phase, you don't need to know everything! They asked him who is your teacher? He answered the garbage truck man! They seriously thought that it affected his brain, that he can't give a cohesive response! At that point, I knew he is ok, because he didn't lose his sense of humor, and responded in a way so that they should stop bugging him! I don't know if he remembered the correct answers in his sleep, but he was acting himself!

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:48 am
When I gave birth, I once wasn't feeling well & ran to nurse station, to get a nurse to take my bp & sugars to see why I was feeling that way, but they refused saying it's not on schedule now. I said it's emergency, they told me if you were dying, you wouldn't be running! Then the nurse was very rude to me in room, she said she won't do anything, because I am hysterical. She left room & I started crying. My mom arrived & apprised the situation. All of a sudden same nurse came back being overly nice to me. I was confused, like what happened, that she had a change of heart? When my mom left, the nurse slips $20 into my hands, saying "go buy something for your baby, your mom gave it to me, but I am not allowed to take it."

English3

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:50 am
I had a C-section by my first child, in my notes it says that I have to have a cannula at each following birth. At another child's birth I came in pushing, I delivered the baby right away. A few minutes later I see a midwife trying to put a cannula in me, she said it says you need a cannula in case of C-section. I looked at her in shock and told her "well it doesn't look like I will have a C-section in the near future, so please don't put it in"

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:01 am
When my son was isolated in a hospital room for a long while, the nurse asked him "What can I get you? He responded "an apple tree" (he was dying to get out).
She then went & printed out an apple tree & colored it & hung it in his room.

They also called him the most tangled patient because he would twirl/ climb/ and spin on the swivel chair with his IV pole attached.

Once when he heard he will need to be admitted before Simchas Torah, he blurted out, " Doesn't the doctor know that Simchas Torah, you belong by Rebbe and not in a hospital? He was 5. The volunteers ended up dancing hakafos around his hospital bed & him as the rabbi.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:20 am
My son had a hernia in his diaper area, and his doctor told us if he throws up or has fever before the surgery we need to bring him in to the ER. So one night found us in the ER doctor on call came in, opened his diaper and examined him. Then he turned to me and asked me - is this a girl or boy? My mouth just hung open until he suddenly realised and burst out laughing

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:20 am
Once when I gave birth on shabbos, I told nurse to call my mom, she told me she can't do that till I sign a release form. Lol!

My mom was very curious & anxious what happened to me as she knew I went in erev shabbos for monitoring but didn't hear from me after that. I was early, not due yet. She then walked from Brooklyn to Manhattan to find out. When she arrived to hospital, they didn't want to share info where I am, because of privacy. Finally they relented & told her, I gave birth. When she is asked" What did she have? They said they are not allowed to release that info" lol

In maternity ward, hospital removed all patients names in front of rooms, because of privacy. I was there Shabbos & Yom tov, and when I asked if there are any other Jewish patients, so we can celebrate together, they didn't want to release the info. So I Shabbos'ed & Yom tov'ed all by myself.

Next time around, they built a family room, all of us, heimishe new moms, who were there for shabbos, gathered in the family room, to have a seuda together . Singing zemiros. We stayed hours shmoozing till they threw us out of there saying that it's not fair that we are occupying the room for so long, others want to use it too.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics