Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is this something you would do?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:39 pm
Every morning is a fight to get my 3 yo dressed. I started putting on a YouTube song about getting dressed and it's a race to get dressed b4 the song ends. He gets so excited. I know it's a phase and the motivation will soon stop again. Would you also put a YouTube song on or no?

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:45 pm
I don’t see why not . I just don’t think I would’ve been clever enough to think of it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:50 pm
It’s a game. He only has 1 song. Yes I would do it.
But I would try every few days to get dressed without. Distractions are fine but they don’t teach anything either.

But for your mommy sanity. It’s totally fine! Lol

lucky14

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:55 pm
For sure.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 7:57 pm
Brilliant idea!
Of course I would do it.
Do you have hesitation? Why?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:23 pm
Yeah, sure. That's how my toddler eats every day.

s1

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:15 am
I once learnt that every invention in the world is around because Hashem wanted it to be invented in order to help yidden. I believe Hashem allowed YouTube to be invented to help us with our parenting!

salt

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:12 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
It’s a game. He only has 1 song. Yes I would do it.
But I would try every few days to get dressed without. Distractions are fine but they don’t teach anything either.

But for your mommy sanity. It’s totally fine! Lol

It's not really a distraction, it's an incentive.

And I think it's amazing that he's not doing it to get any prize at the end - just the good feeling of having done it on time.

Aylat

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:36 am
salt wrote:

And I think it's amazing that he's not doing it to get any prize at the end - just the good feeling of having done it on time.

Exactly. Instilling intrinsic motivation.

I'm an adult, and I put on music, audiobooks, or podcasts to help motivate me through boring or annoying tasks (sorting laundry, I'm looking at you. And you're staring right back at me from the sofa Cool) Getting dressed is a pretty boring job for a 3yo.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:57 am
It's not like you're parking him in front of the video while you dress him like a baby, you're playing music to make it more fun. Why not? We have a whole playlist of fun songs on YouTube we listen to during bathtime every day.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 6:37 am
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
It's not like you're parking him in front of the video while you dress him like a baby, you're playing music to make it more fun. Why not? We have a whole playlist of fun songs on YouTube we listen to during bathtime every day.

Yes, this. Just for the fun of it, OP, I'd try singing it one day instead of turning it on. Just so you know you could.

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 6:37 am
I would set a timer.

hodeez

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 6:48 am
Smart solution! Kol hakavod!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics