Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Drexel University--good for frum kid?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:12 am
DS is looking at colleges. He is convinced that Drexel is where he wants to go. He likes their co-op programs. This is a very new world to me. It looks like they have strong Jewish life--he isn't looking for yeshivish, but definitely needs easy kosher meals, minyan and Jewish social life. Is this a school with a big Orthodox population? Do frum kids go and stay frum?

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:19 am
I went and had a rough time there and ended up switching out. I was used to NY schools which are waaay more accommodating regarding missing classes bec of yt. I also had a final review on shabbos, I just didn’t feel like they were understanding.
And very small orthodox population. Never saw anyone frum looking around campus (I was commuting)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:34 am
. I would contact the OU-JLIC Rabbi at U of P and find out about the community. (They are across the street and Drexel doesn’t have its own couple). I have gotten mixed answers as to if it functions like one community or 2 very separate schools. Is your son at a MO school with a knowledgeable college guidance department? They should be able to help him tremendously.
When my children were applying to college, it was a hot school to consider but not that many went. Due to the price tag, I never looked into it.
Best of luck.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:28 am
He can contact Drexel chabad (https://www.jewishdragon.com).

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:29 am
Please look into the timing of their academic schedule. From what I remember, since they have a coop program, their academic schedule was different than a traditional university--different weeks of vacation. So, if your son wants to piggyback on Penn's Orthodox student life, it won't be helpful to go their minyanim and eat in their Kosher cafeteria if he is on campus when Penn students are on vacation.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:02 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
He can contact Drexel chabad (https://www.jewishdragon.com).

Best Chabad house ever!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
I went and had a rough time there and ended up switching out. I was used to NY schools which are waaay more accommodating regarding missing classes bec of yt. I also had a final review on shabbos, I just didn’t feel like they were understanding.
And very small orthodox population. Never saw anyone frum looking around campus (I was commuting)

Was this recently? Is it possible things have changed/improved?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics