Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Laundry Room on Main Floor

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 10:55 pm
If you live in a duplex and have your laundry room on your main floor, please give me tips on how you do your laundry, I.e. shlepping up & down, keeping hampers upstairs, etc.

It will be a new thing for me and not sure how to make it work in the best way possible.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:34 pm
I would put laundry in big bags and toss bags down stairs, drag them full of clean laundry back up. NOT carry laundry baskets down or up stairs, accident waiting to happen either way.

Hampers, underbed laundry baskets or camp-style laundry bags can be in hallway and/or in each bedroom, whichever works best depending on size, age, responsibility of family members.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:40 pm
Forgive me, but how is this different from living in a ranch with laundry room in basement?

yalixoxo

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:44 pm
I have a laundry basket that has a lining and take out the lining part and bring that downstairs

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:55 pm
zaq wrote:
Forgive me, but how is this different from living in a ranch with laundry room in basement?

I currently live in a flat.

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:55 pm
yalixoxo wrote:
I have a laundry basket that has a lining and take out the lining part and bring that downstairs

Do you have one hamper upstairs? In the kid's bathroom?

yaye

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:24 am
I or kids or dh bring laundry down from second floor to basement laundry room. (Hampers in each room and bathroom, get combined to come down)

Cleaning lady brings up clean baskets and folds 😃 (and brings down whatever dirty laundry is left in hampers when she’s there. But I usually try to bring it all down before so it’s washed and she can fold)

Hanging stuff is a pain, I have to remember to bring up…. My dh never has shirts in his closet.

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:53 am
sm236 wrote:
I or kids or dh bring laundry down from second floor to basement laundry room. (Hampers in each room and bathroom, get combined to come down)

Cleaning lady brings up clean baskets and folds 😃 (and brings down whatever dirty laundry is left in hampers when she’s there. But I usually try to bring it all down before so it’s washed and she can fold)

Hanging stuff is a pain, I have to remember to bring up…. My dh never has shirts in his closet.

That's not encouraging Sad

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:04 am
I have my laundry room on main floor right beside my kitchen. I love it.

Upstairs I have two hampers outside the bathroom - a white one for whites and a black one for coloreds. I take them down when full and do laundry (often dump a load in before I go to bed, process in the morning. Put in another load, and process while supper's cooking.)

I have two drying racks in the laundry room for hang-up stuff. I find that it's easy to do laundry while something is simmering, etc....I'll hang up a load. I take things up when I go up.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:04 am
Our laundry room is actually in the basement- cry.

We have a laundry sorter hamper- it's a stand with 4 bags to sort laundry- in our room plus a hamper for kids laundry in the hallway. When a bag is full, I carry the bag downstairs, wash etc. When it's done, it goes in a basket that my husband brings upstairs and folds when he has time.

yaye

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:34 pm
ShirleyTemple wrote:
That's not encouraging Sad

Sorry!!!!

But I always remind him that there are clean shirts downstairs and he can go get Wink

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:16 pm
I have a triple hamper in the master bedroom. Small hampers in each kids bedroom. Every few days, I take the kids hamper to my room and sort it in to the triple hamper.

I bring down one bag from the triple hamper to wash. I have a collapsible hamper that I keep folded between the washer and the wall. I put the clean clothes in there and bring it up.

Laundry gets folded on a bed, or hung on a drying rack that’s in the corner of my bedroom.

bunchagirlies

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:28 pm
I grew up with laundry room in basement. bedrooms and kitchen/dining were on the first floor. we had a laundry chute under a sink (right off kitchen) that dropped laundry into the hamper downstairs, which is near the washing machine. Also a hamper near the main bathroom. my mother/cleaning lady would carry armfulls of laundry from the hamper to the chute every morning. So since half the laundry went straight down the chute, the laundry in the other hamper didn't amount to much, so was usually just 1 armload.

ShirleyTemple

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:27 am
Thanks all for sharing your way of dealing with this.

My husband also suggested a triple hamper so we can sort upstairs and take down one load at a time. gotta see where I place such a big hamper.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:43 am
ShirleyTemple wrote:
Thanks all for sharing your way of dealing with this.

My husband also suggested a triple hamper so we can sort upstairs and take down one load at a time. gotta see where I place such a big hamper.

Ours fits perfectly at the foot of my bed.

Girl@Heart

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 1:22 pm
I have hampers in all the bedrooms. Take them down to laundry room (one floor down) one at a time. Bring the laundry back up in laundry baskets. I found square ones on Amazon that are much easier to maneuver IMO.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:26 pm
teachkids wrote:
Our laundry room is actually in the basement- cry. e.

Top of the heap first world problems, people.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:43 pm
zaq wrote:
Top of the heap first world problems, people.

Totally. But when I wrote this I was dealing with some nerve issues in my legs making stairs very difficult. BH They’ve been resolved now

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:53 pm
teachkids wrote:
Totally. But when I wrote this I was dealing with some nerve issues in my legs making stairs very difficult. BH They’ve been resolved now

Ah. My apologies, then. Refuah shleimah.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:30 pm
zaq wrote:
Ah. My apologies, then. Refuah shleimah.

All good. I only told half the story in the post and was lying down in extreme pain after putting in a load of laundry when I wrote it.
BH a good chiropractor is with her weight in gold and we seem to be getting it under control now
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics