Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you have a trampoline?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:21 pm
If yes, did any of your kids get any serious injuries that they warn you about?

I'd LOVE to get a trampoline for my kids, ages 9 through 3. I want to hear real life stories (Although I hope there aren't any.)

Please only reply if you own or owned a trampoline and someone was injured while jumping on it.

Thank you.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:32 pm
This isn’t what you asked, but at my old work place we used to see patients ALL THE TIME with broken bone injuries from trampolines. I’d never get one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
This isn’t what you asked, but at my old work place we used to see patients ALL THE TIME with broken bone injuries from trampolines. I’d never get one.

Thanks for your reply.

Being that you only saw the kid after the fact, I'm wondering what happened that caused the injury and is it preventable.

Yes, I very much want to buy one but want to hear about personal experiences first.

Thank you.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:54 am
We have a trampoline but we need to get rid of if because our house insurance will go up.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:56 am
I don’t own one but my sister in law does and her daughter fell off and knocked out a bunch of teeth. I think another child of hers was injured too. I also read an article that terrified me. Btw I have a pool and feel safer with that than a trampoline.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:05 am
It's so interesting how we perceive risk. I'd rather the danger of a broken bone chv than drowning r"l. It's a matter of what you're used to I guess.

I don't know anyone who is afraid to get a swing set. I know multiple kids who broke both arms at the same time from one.

We limit risks as best as we can on our trampoline. The amount of kids, no big differences in size of kids, proper netting and springs. And in the meantime, my older kids aren't allowed on my swing set as I feel it's not so sturdy when they swing!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
I don’t own one but my sister in law does and her daughter fell off and knocked out a bunch of teeth. I think another child of hers was injured too. I also read an article that terrified me. Btw I have a pool and feel safer with that than a trampoline.

you see, a pool is a huge no-no for me. I would have OCD if I locked the gate etc. I specifically looked at houses without pools. hmm

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:14 am
You can buy a spring free trampoline.
It doesn't eliminate risk, but it will remove the risk of feet getting caught between the springs ch"v.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:17 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's so interesting how we perceive risk. I'd rather the danger of a broken bone chv than drowning r"l. It's a matter of what you're used to I guess.
A trampoline carries the risk of a tbi or worse r”l. Kids need to be supervised the same way they are around pools.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:21 am
I have a trampoline with a gate and Bh no injuries. We’ve had it for 8 years. Ironically my daughter fractured her leg on my neighbors trampoline. Tiny one, more like a rebounder by jumping and landing on her leg. (On the trampoline, it had a gate)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
A trampoline carries the risk of a tbi or worse r”l. Kids need to be supervised the same way they are around pools.

So do swing sets.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:22 am
When we picked up her crutches from the bikur cholim they told us that it’s one of the most common causes of fractures

banana split

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:33 am
We own a pool and trampoline and Bh no injuries. You have to know your kids. And know yourself- if you’re the type to watch them when they go outside.
If the whole block will come and jump and act wild and there’s no adult supervision then don’t get it. If you’re the type of mom to watch the kids when they Play outside then I wouldn’t hesitate

Miri1

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:38 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I have a trampoline with a gate and Bh no injuries. We’ve had it for 8 years. Ironically my daughter fractured her leg on my neighbors trampoline. Tiny one, more like a rebounder by jumping and landing on her leg. (On the trampoline, it had a gate)

What do you mean by a gate?
You fence around the whole trampoline?

Momima

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:46 am
I have one got it as a gift, I wouldn't have gotten one on my own cause of the fears of the safety aspect. Bh haven't had issues just have rules that kids know, can't be to many kids on and can only have kids of the same size range together. Cause if there are bigger and smaller kids the bigger kids can overpower small ones and cause them to fall and hurt themselves.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:51 am
Momima wrote:
I have one got it as a gift, I wouldn't have gotten one on my own cause of the fears of the safety aspect. Bh haven't had issues just have rules that kids know, can't be to many kids on and can only have kids of the same size range together. Cause if there are bigger and smaller kids the bigger kids can overpower small ones and cause them to fall and hurt themselves.

I'm actually concerned with the big kids falling on top of the little ones. This happened to my son and B"H he just got winded and nothing else.

s c

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:09 pm
Have had one for many years. Its one of the best things we ever bought. It's very large and has a high net all around which I replace whenever there are holes or rips. All age groups love it. But small children cannot be left unsupervised on it nor can there be many kids on at the same time. If you're careful with this then it's as safe as any other play thing in the garden.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:15 pm
Miri1 wrote:
What do you mean by a gate?
You fence around the whole trampoline?

Not a real gate, super tall netting all around the trampoline that closes with a zipper so you can’t fall off

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:21 pm
is 4 kids at once, ranging from 9 oldest to 3 youngest too much at once?

so from what I gather, if they're given proper rules and warnings, injuries ARE preventable. And of course we need a tefilla to Hashem too.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:33 pm
I grew up with a pool and trampoline in my backyard. No issues with the pool- a good gate and swimming lessons- but lots of trampoline related injuries. My sister in laws have trampolines too, and I have several nieces and nephews who have broken arms, feet, spinal injuries, etc. Currently I have two nephews with long term rehab challenges after complicated ortho surgeries related to trampolines. As a pediatric nurse, we see TONS of trampoline injuries as well as long term spinal compression and injuries.

My take: I allow my kids to jump on neighbors trampolines while I watch; but I won’t own one personally, since I don’t want the risk of trying to constantly supervise potentially risky activities. If you get one, make sure to be strict about supervision! Most injuries occur with overcrowded trampolines of diff aged kids
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics