Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Building project for teen - ideas?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:48 am
I'm brainstorming for ideas of a building project for a 13 year old boy and his friend. Something that can keep them constructively busy for a few hours a day over the next week or two.

Not a birdfeeder or a shtender Smile

Ideally some kind of building kit I can get my hands on.
A playhouse would have been good, but I don't have very young kids who would use it...

One idea I had was building a pair of Adirondack chairs.

Any other ideas? They would be considered beginners at this type of thing, but they are a smart pair and would do a good job. Just not looking for anything requiring an electric saw (although that would probably make his day Very Happy)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:04 pm
Cubbies for storage? Bench with storage, maybe under a hinged top?
Look up templates online and purchase materials needed at Home Depot or the like

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:08 pm
depends how handy they are. I have a BIL who built a gorgeous playground in his yard during COVID. Got plans for it online.

A storage shed? Redwood style table and benches?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:08 pm
Treehouse?

simcha2

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:36 pm
Fire pit?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:41 pm
Wooden picnic table with benches. If they have time to stain the wood after it's built, it can really be useful.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:44 pm
FYI, wood is super expensive these days.
They have these kits for nice projects for the sukkah. Some of them involve a little electrical work for the lighting. They do come in kits prepared. Good luck!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:59 pm
Here is a link to a picnic table kit. Only tools needed are an adjustable wrench and screw gun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/72.....43768

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:59 pm
book case
love the bench with storage and picnic table/benches ideas

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:41 pm
Thanks everyone for your ideas so far!

I wouldn't say they are super handy, but the picnic table is a nice idea. I'd love a treehouse, but I can't be that involved in the planning of this, so a kit for something firmly on the ground is really more what I need.

Please keep ideas coming! I'm quite inclined to the table, but we are putting a large table with umbrella on our deck, so it may be a bit superfluous in our yard right now.

Wondering if anyone has come across some kind of wooden yard item - not overwhelming in complexity, but attractive for a 7 yr old and her friends. We have a swingset and a small climbing structure. I would love a nice sized club house but not looking to spend $2000 right now... so entertaining more modest ideas.

Ooh, I'm thinking now in a different direction...
Has anyone got any idea how to set up a small garden? Or planters?
Are we too late in the summer for this?

This kid needs some action Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:12 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
FYI, wood is super expensive these days.
They have these kits for nice projects for the sukkah. Some of them involve a little electrical work for the lighting. They do come in kits prepared. Good luck!

Do you know where I can find such a kit? I'm not in NY.
Or do you have a link to such a thing?

GLUE

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ooh, I'm thinking now in a different direction...
Has anyone got any idea how to set up a small garden? Or planters?
Are we too late in the summer for this?

This kid needs some action Smile

Right now plants are on sale pretty much ever were. There are books and on line that can tell you how to set up a small(or not very small) garden.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:57 pm
OP, did you come up with anything? I have 2 13 year old boys in the same boat.

Though they’d love to make their own shtenders cuz somehow they missed out on doing that. Any kits for that?

rising hero

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:18 pm
Another project they can do besides building is painting. Paint a room in the house, kitchen cabinets, furniture etc. Its fun and therapeutic. Check out diys.

GLUE

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:43 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
OP, did you come up with anything? I have 2 13 year old boys in the same boat.

Though they’d love to make their own shtenders cuz somehow they missed out on doing that. Any kits for that?

https://craftitfun.com/

They sell shtender kits

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:18 am
Thank you for the link but that business unfortunately closed down.
I’ve scoured the internet but hasn’t found any other shtender kits. Where can I get them?

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:36 am
My 12 and 13 year olds have just made a display shelf for knickknacks/school trophies, and a coffee table tray. I got them 2 spare wooden pallets for free from Facebook. They looked online for ideas, watched some youtube tutorials about how to take it apart (I was not letting them use an electric saw, too many kids around and I don't have the time to supervise and teach proper safety for now). We had a regular saw and hammer and electric screwdriver, borrowed an electric sander. Then they painted it. Gorgeous, rustic/beach cottage type of style, kept them busy and they're really proud. Oh, and we ended up with a tetanus shot yesterday as well...

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:51 am
My son just made a stationery holder with different sections for different items. He drilled holes that can fit pens/pencils.
Also looking for more ideas, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children