Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Cockroach hidden in bathroom. Please help!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:41 pm
A couple of nights ago we spotted a cockroach in the bathroom though it then disappeared before we were able to get rid of it.

The past two nights, we've been hearing incessant chirping noises from inside the bathroom though we can't trace the source. By day it's quiet.

How do we find it??? And does this signify a bigger infestation problem?

(We live in Israel if that makes a difference.)

Success10

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:47 pm
Depends on the type of cockroach. Is it small or BIG? Big ones live in the sponga hole (lift up the lid). Little ones can be a true infestation, need a professional to get rid of them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:04 pm
Success10 wrote:
Depends on the type of cockroach. Is it small or BIG? Big ones live in the sponga hole (lift up the lid). Little ones can be a true infestation, need a professional to get rid of them.

Hmmm, the one we saw wasn't overly big, but not tiny either....

What is considered small?

Will get dh to check in the sponga hole!

Teomima

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:06 pm
They live in the sewers. The bathroom is the most common place to find them. They come through the pipes. It's that time of year. The best thing to do is hire an exterminator to come and spray directly into the sewer manholes all around your building. If you're in an apartment building, speak to the va'ad, this is their turf. If you haven't got a va'ad bayit, ask your neighbors, likely they've had roaches, too. Everyone should go in on the cost of an exterminator together. They'll spray the stairwells and basement but most importantly, all the sewer lines leading out of the building.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:07 pm
Was it blackish or chestnut brown? The black bigger ones are the drain dwellers, they come for the water. The smaller chestnut colored ones are worse - they come for the food and cause infestations.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:09 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Was it blackish or chestnut brown? The black bigger ones are the drain dwellers, they come for the water. The smaller chestnut colored ones are worse - they come for the food and cause infestations.

I didn't see it properly but I think it was more chestnut colored Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:13 pm
Does the fact that we're hearing this noise make it more likely that there's more than one around?

Success10

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does the fact that we're hearing this noise make it more likely that there's more than one around?

Honestly, I don't think cockroaches make any noise at all. For sure not the small kind, which I've had my fair share of.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:47 pm
Success10 wrote:
Honestly, I don't think cockroaches make any noise at all. For sure not the small kind, which I've had my fair share of.

I also didn't think so, but I googled and seems they do sometimes make noise. It's the only explanation of what this noise is...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:06 pm
Has anyone else had cockroaches making noises at night?

Success10

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:13 pm
Seems like you've got a cricket in your bathroom. They kind of look like roaches if you only took one short glance before you screamed and ran for the hills.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:30 pm
Success10 wrote:
Seems like you've got a cricket in your bathroom. They kind of look like roaches if you only took one short glance before you screamed and ran for the hills.

You might actually be right. Just googled images of crickets and looks like it could be that. Is that better or worse than a cockroach??

Scotty

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:32 pm
Sounds more like a (harmless) cricket. At first glance it may be mistaken for a roach, but I’d you look closely the two are very different (and only a cricket rhythmically “sings” as far as I know.)
While roaches get a bad rap, crickets are adorable! They aren’t “gross” at all, and we love to listen to them chirr and coo for a mate.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone else had cockroaches making noises at night?

Sounds like it's probably a cricket.

Jukim are pretty silent.

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:04 am
Boric acid pour around every night. There are roach powders with boric acid the best thing

Brownies

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:09 am
If it's chirping it's a cricket. Still not fun for insect-phobes like me but unlikely to have its extended mishpacha living with it, which is a big bonus!

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:23 am
Spray windex all over the place in every corner

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:30 am
If it's a cricket, you're fine. They get in by accident but don't infest houses. Try to get to the source of the noise, catch it in a jar and throw it out... problem solved.

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:36 am
After you exterminate caulk around all plumbing, especially around the toilet

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:46 am
Yuk!
Hugs OP!
I ran for the hills until you find it! Please Lmk Director
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions