Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Does bike riding help reduce hip fat ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:49 am
I'm young, eat healthy some walking daily.. the added weight is more of a slow buildup over the years
Unfortunately my body fat likes to congregate around my hips Confused No patience for any form of exercise but biking I might be willing so wondering if it would really help or not really?? Thanks !

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:52 am
There are no exercises that can target fat from a specific area. You can only target where you will build muscle.

Fat building up in specific areas can be due to a hormonal cause. I don't know offhand the specifics but you can Google hormones and hip fat...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm young, eat healthy some walking daily.. the added weight is more of a slow buildup over the years
Unfortunately my body fat likes to congregate around my hips Confused No patience for any form of exercise but biking I might be willing so wondering if it would really help or not really?? Thanks !

I did biking for a while and the only thing I saw an improvement on were that my thighs got thinner. I don't think it helps for hips though. Hips would probably benefit brisk walking the most. But do it consistently.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:05 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
There are no exercises that can target fat from a specific area. You can only target where you will build muscle.

Fat building up in specific areas can be due to a hormonal cause. I don't know offhand the specifics but you can Google hormones and hip fat...

Of course there are exercises that target fat from specific areas! You work on toning the area, so that the fat thins out (for lack of better wording). You don't have to build muscle if you just want to slim down a specific area.

Buildup in hip fat or width is very much pregnancy/childbirth related, but exercise can help somewhat. If there's an easier, quicker fix then I'd love to know about it but unfortunately there ain't.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 3:26 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Of course there are exercises that target fat from specific areas! You work on toning the area, so that the fat thins out (for lack of better wording). You don't have to build muscle if you just want to slim down a specific area.

Buildup in hip fat or width is very much pregnancy/childbirth related, but exercise can help somewhat. If there's an easier, quicker fix then I'd love to know about it but unfortunately there ain't.

"Toning" just means building muscle. You can target where you build muscle. But you cannot target where you lose fat.

Some people seem to believe that when you build muscle you're actually turning fat into muscle. It's nonsense.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:14 pm
You don't turn fat into muscle. Muscle burns calories more efficiently. Biking is good for cardiovascular health. Any exercise burns some calories.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:48 pm
Spot reduction is a myth.

Librarian

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 5:02 pm
I actually have found that swimming reduced my hip fat. If nothing else works and you can afford it you might want to try CoolSculpting. The area you would want to do it on is called the Flank

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 6:46 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:

Exactly as amother banana explained.

Non such a thing as spot reducing fat.

But you can try to build more muscle in the area to give it more shape and it may appear a little firmer.

Btw toning and building muscle is basically the same thing.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 7:12 pm
I have a theory

With the right posture and activating the core muscles properly when you walk will result in slimmer hips.

I observe the slim from birth people when they walk, in my unscientific opinion, they seem to have the mechanics right.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 8:12 pm
I lost 7 inches from each thigh when I started taking spin class!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You’re very lucky that it accumulates in your hips. Belly fat is dangerous. Hip fat isn’t.

Genetics decide where fat will be stored on your body. There’s really not much you can do about it. As you lose weight, the fat comes off where it comes off ( partially dictated by what macronutrients you eat.) for example, visceral fat can be resolved easily without a huge weightloss by eating low carb. But someone can have a lot of visceral fat even if they are thin and that is also metabolically unhealthy regardless of weight.

Pear shaped is good. Apple shaped not so much.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:49 pm
Any suggestions of exercise to work on hip weight loss?

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Clear wrote:
Any suggestions of exercise to work on hip weight loss?

As mentioned before, spot reduction is a myth. You can't target a specific area.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 5:16 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....pc2Vz

Do it a week straight, you’ll feel the difference. Keep it up you will see the difference
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise