Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you have a trampoline?
Previous  1  2

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:35 am
I send my kids to the trampoline parks with camp and I sign a 4 page waiver. I daven the whole time they are safe. I dont sign one for the water park or swimming pool. There has to be a reason. IF they were equally dangerous wouldn't they require one also?

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
A trampoline carries the risk of a tbi or worse r”l. Kids need to be supervised the same way they are around pools.

Yes! I've heard that it's not just orthopedists that can't stand trampolines, but also neurologists! That honestly terrifies me more (I do personally know of my friends child that had foot or leg injury on trampoline...don't remember details, but did need a cast.)

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:09 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's so interesting how we perceive risk. I'd rather the danger of a broken bone chv than drowning r"l. It's a matter of what you're used to I guess.

I don't know anyone who is afraid to get a swing set. I know multiple kids who broke both arms at the same time from one.

We limit risks as best as we can on our trampoline. The amount of kids, no big differences in size of kids, proper netting and springs. And in the meantime, my older kids aren't allowed on my swing set as I feel it's not so sturdy when they swing!

Unfortunately I’ve heard of a lot worse than broken bones - people becoming paralyzed, brain injuries as others have mentioned…
With a pool, people are hyper vigilant and would never allow children to swim unsupervised. Also, if a child knows how to swim and there is an adult watching, it is highly unlikely they will be injured. Unfortunately most drownings are because someone took their eyes off the child. With a trampoline, even with supervision, someone can get terribly hurt in an instant. Obviously it’s up to Hashem, but I feel that trampolines are more dangerous.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:17 am
banana split wrote:
We own a pool and trampoline and Bh no injuries. You have to know your kids. And know yourself- if you’re the type to watch them when they go outside.
If the whole block will come and jump and act wild and there’s no adult supervision then don’t get it. If you’re the type of mom to watch the kids when they Play outside then I wouldn’t hesitate

This is us as well. We have a baby guard fence around the pool and do not let others use the pool
We have set rules for the trampoline- only one person on at a time and no flips. Also, very important that you have a net around the trampoline as well as the padding over the springs. Follow all guidelines given for set up.

I had asked our pediatrician before we purchased the trampoline (the pool came with the house) his thoughts and he said go for it but follow the given guidelines.

Accidents happen all the time- you could sprain your toe just taking out the garbage or break and arm riding a bike. The above poster said. You need to kn ow your kids and always supervise. The trampoline, the swing set etc. is not a babysitter.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:17 am
We've had a trampoline for about 10 years now
At one point we had 2 that the kids placed facing each other and would jump from one to the other. They can spend hours out there. We have netting all around, bh so far no injuries at all.
But I have a question, how far do we go with these things. Eg I know a few kids who've broken arms from roller blading, some who have been injured while bike riding, like pp mentioned swing sets are also scary, what about park playgrounds? I've witnessed kids falling off the climbing frames and such. Where do we draw the limit?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:40 am
mha3484 wrote:
I send my kids to the trampoline parks with camp and I sign a 4 page waiver. I daven the whole time they are safe. I dont sign one for the water park or swimming pool. There has to be a reason. IF they were equally dangerous wouldn't they require one also?

Interesting, I sign for water parks and rafting, etc

tweety1

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 11:19 am
I have neither. And I'm not planning to ever get either one.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:46 pm
I have a 12' wide trampoline. I allow my neighbors and family to come jump. BH no injuries and I daven we should never have any. I think the rectangle shape allows for the kids to have more space and they don't tumble. whoever is jumping is happy. And the energy release works for my kids.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:52 pm
I have a good quality, spring/coil free indoor "rebounder" with a handle one child can use at a time.

I never saw an actual injury but I was freaked out by watching a couple of kids (not mine) in one trampoline session jumping together who almost banged heads together, & one boy's leg nearly was injured (not scraping skin, but going in wrong direction kind of thing) going into the gap by the spring.
I don't judge those who have, it's normal to have them, but I wouldn't ever want a large one where multiple kids will inevitably jump together

wifenmother

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:10 am
My daughter broke her foot on the trampoline. The break was so bad, that the Hatzoloh volunteers prepared me to expect surgery. The bottom of her foot was connected to the top literally only with the skin...

Contrary to what others think, she did NOT fall off the trampoline, so lack of a net is not the issue. She fell on the trampoline while jumping. In the ER, and at the orthopedists, no one was surprised. They said that they see trampoline injuries ALL the time.

We have a strict 'no one goes on any neighbor's trampoline' rule since...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics