Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
WWYD dirty diaper
1  2  Next

WWYD dirty diaper
Go back in and change  
 79%  [ 51 ]
Leave it for the babysitter  
 20%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 64

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:13 am
You are finally ready to leave the house in the morning, pick up the baby and start walking out to the car to drop him off at the babysitter on your way to work. You are running on time, maybe a drop late, certainly not early. As you walk out you notice he smells and has a dirty diaper. Do you go back in to change him or continue walking and tell the babysitter I’m sorry, I think he has a dirty diaper right when you arrive? It’s just a few minutes in the car, not a long trip.

Teomima

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:16 am
If you can afford the extra minute, better to change him yourself. If you're really tight on time, and this is a once in a blue moon occasion, then it's fine. But I certainly wouldn't make it a habit of dropping off a dirty baby.

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:33 am
I'm a babysitter, always try your best to drop off your baby with a clean daiper but if once in a while a baby comes in with a dirty daiper its not so bad, we understand that it can happen as you are leaving the house or in the car already.
What is extremely annoying is when a parent pretends they dont know (cummon it smelled up your car!) and just hands over the smelly baby without saying "I'm so sorry he/she went as we were running out/in the car"
Sometimes you can even tell babies been sitting in dirty daiper for way longer than just car ride!

Another option is changing your baby once you get to the babysitter. Usually when a parent offers I'm so appreciative of the offer that I just say you can go I'll take care of it.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
I'm a babysitter, always try your best to drop off your baby with a clean daiper but if once in a while a baby comes in with a dirty daiper its not so bad, we understand that it can happen as you are leaving the house or in the car already.
What is extremely annoying is when a parent pretends they dont know (cummon it smelled up your car!) and just hands over the smelly baby without saying "I'm so sorry he/she went as we were running out/in the car"
Sometimes you can even tell babies been sitting in dirty daiper for way longer than just car ride!

Another option is changing your baby once you get to the babysitter. Usually when a parent offers I'm so appreciative of the offer that I just say you can go I'll take care of it.

Same and I agree with all of this!

For the past 7 months I've not smelt a thing since having covid so maybe the mother didn't smell, but it does/did bug me a lot when they brought their child dirty, without letting me know. The mother should really change her child quickly.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:59 am
Go back and change him.

clowny

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:05 am
The only time I would leave it for the babysitter is if I’m running very late and it’s a short car ride away. I’m afraid of leaving a baby with a dirty diaper too long because baby can develop a rash.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:09 am
I'm definitely guilty of this. I live on the third floor of an apartment building, the sitter lives next block to me. If the baby makes as I'm strapping her into the stroller I am not walking back up all those stairs with the baby. Would definitely make me late to work.

(It only happened once or twice, but it happened. If the baby spits up or vomits I would go back up because then they need a new outfit. )

tweety1

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:35 am
I did it once or twice. I still remember many yrs later because personally I don't think it's the right thing to do.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:

I would rather change it as soon as I get to the sitter, because it's the getting OUT of the house that's the hassle for me..

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:44 am
If you have time, go back and change, or do it in the car/ stroller. If no time apologize to the sitter and offer to change it there.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:54 am
If it's just once, I'd apologetically tell the sitter, and get to work on time.

Because if DC had dirtied the diaper a few minutes later, they'd be dealing with it anyway.

If it happened a second time within a few months, I'd think about arranging my morning schedule differently.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:

Another option is changing your baby once you get to the babysitter.

My husband usually does daycare drop-off and this is his preferred option. Easier than dropping everything to change the diaper at home.

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 1:23 pm
Like some of the other posters, I would wait until I got to the babysitters and change them there. Sometimes the babysitter will just offer to change for me which I would be very grateful for, but I wouldn't take them up on it that often.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:19 pm
I have a playgroup and it is actually in my contract that a child must be dropped off clean. On my part though, if a parent apologizes and offers to change the child I always tell them it's okay and do it myself.

sarahph1

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:21 pm
I'm confused, no disrespect to the babysitter as they are MUCH appreciated! But why is it so bad to bring them with a dirty diaper, isn't it part of there job to clean and take care of the baby's?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:25 pm
sarahph1 wrote:
I'm confused, no disrespect to the babysitter as they are MUCH appreciated! But why is it so bad to bring them with a dirty diaper, isn't it part of there job to clean and take care of the baby's?

Their job is to change diapers that were soiled by the child while the child was in care. Just like I wouldn't appreciate it if they repeatedly handed me a child at 5pm pickup with a poopy diaper.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:38 pm
sarahph1 wrote:

No not when the baby is in the care of the mother!

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:16 pm
sarahph1 wrote:

It's just not nice, we are paid to take care of your baby while in our care.
I've had (mostly fathers) drop off their baby with major leak that I've had to get baby completely undressed and washed down. No way parent didnt notice the crazy smell and see the leak but not even a comment when dropping off.
Lol once a father was like "but what was I supposed to do!? My wife wasnt home"

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:

Lol once a father was like "but what was I supposed to do!? My wife wasnt home"

Ugh! An embarrassment to his sexx.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 11:05 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:

I worked in a preschool and oh yes this is all so true- especially the part about the sitting in the dirty diaper and the parents pretending not to notice it....

and for sure most definitely change it once you get there unless you really can NOT be late to where you are going. It's just the decent nice thing to do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics