Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
At What Age?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:03 pm
At which age can I leave my children home alone for 10 to 15 minutes? Can I leave my 7 and 8 year old alone together if they know safety rules and have a phone and a neighbor down the block available? What is considered age appropriate?

keym

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:23 pm
1) first find out state and country laws.

2) I start leaving them alone during the day at around 11 for short amounts of time, at 12 with a younger sibling over 3, and starting at 13 I let them babysit at home.

But different children are different, and I have some that I didn't let babysit u til even later

Please don't leave a 7 and 8 year old alone.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 10:27 pm
I have an 8 and 6 year old. I have left them alone for like 15 minutes but I always okay it with my next door neighbor first and my kids know if they need anything they should knock next door.

lk1234

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 8:40 am
It is very much child dependent however an 8 year old I would not leave for more than 10 minutes and only if I am going somewhere less than a 1 minute drive (eg corner grocery) and only if they are indoors with the door locked and I was on the phone with them the whole time.

It's annoying because they are on the cusp of being able to be left alone but not really.

I'd feel fine leaving a 11 year old alone without all of the above for 15 minutes at a shot. But again still child dependent.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At which age can I leave my children home alone for 10 to 15 minutes? Can I leave my 7 and 8 year old alone together if they know safety rules and have a phone and a neighbor down the block available? What is considered age appropriate?

No, does not sound safe at this age.

More like 10, 11....

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:19 am
During the day I leave an 8 & 9 year old home alone for 10-15 minutes. They know how to use a phone and to not open the door if anyone knocks.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:34 pm
No matter what the age don't leave kid alone before telling another adult that you left and will be back in x amount of time!
And of course you have to be reachable by phone at all time.

behappy2

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:35 pm
Depends on the kid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children