Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name Perel in Israel
1  2  Next

LAmom97

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 9:53 am
Hi! We found out I'm expecting a girl and we have a Perel who we would like to name after. Although it's not exactly a popular/common name my husband and I think it's nice (we agree on Perel over Penina or Margolit or another variation.) We only have one concern, we are thinking about moving to Israel and are curious how the name would be received there. Does anyone know about how the name would be viewed there? (Is it old ladyish? Also wondering about Yiddish names in general causing difficultly integrating...?)

Any insights would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 10:00 am
Perel might work among chassidim, but even in yeshivish circles (and certainly in DL ones), Penina and Margalit have replaced Perel.

There are always a few outliers with Yiddish names, but not many. You need to decide what matters to you.

I made aliyah as an adult. I have a Yiddish name that is perpetually misspelled here. I don't mind, but some people would.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 11:07 am
Everyone will assume you are Chassidish or that you were when you gave the name. That's not necessarily a *bad* thing (you might be Chassidish!) but just think if you want it or not.

It doesn't even sound old ladyish to me because non-Chassidish old ladies are Penina or Margalit.

IMO if the girl grows up to be a "cool girl", the uniqueness of her name will add to her "coolness". If she is awkward, it will add to her awkwardness.

I kinda like it. I wouldn't do it myself, but if a friend did I'd say "I love it!" and genuinely mean it.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 11:36 am
Agree with aconite- unique names can be cool, it depends on the girl. A bigger problem with the name Perel in Israel is the way they pronounce it might sound weird. Try it out on a couple of Israelis and see what they do with it. There are other yiddish names that could work but the "r" in middle and the "el" at the end of Perel- I can hear them ruining your pretty name.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Everyone will assume you are Chassidish or that you were when you gave the name. That's not necessarily a *bad* thing (you might be Chassidish!) but just think if you want it or not.

It doesn't even sound old ladyish to me because non-Chassidish old ladies are Penina or Margalit.

IMO if the girl grows up to be a "cool girl", the uniqueness of her name will add to her "coolness". If she is awkward, it will add to her awkwardness.

I kinda like it. I wouldn't do it myself, but if a friend did I'd say "I love it!" and genuinely mean it.

It’s funny you should say that, I think of alp the Perel’s I know, only one is chassidish!

LAmom97

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:04 pm
Thanks for responses so far!

Seems most think she'd do better with a name other than Perel... Pronunciation and ppl thinking she's chassidish were definitely some of our concerns before, now more so Confused

Ema of 4 wrote:
It’s funny you should say that, I think of alp the Perel’s I know, only one is chassidish!

Ema, how many Perels (IN ISRAEL) do you know who are not chassidish? That's exactly the data point I was looking for Smile

Based on a link posted in another thread showing popularity of names in Israel, seems overall Perel is on the rise there (although very possibly just in chassidish circles).

And if anyone has any other thoughts, please share!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:06 pm
LAmom97 wrote:
Thanks for responses so far!

Seems most think she'd do better with a name other than Perel... Pronunciation and ppl thinking she's chassidish were definitely some of our concerns before, now more so Confused

Ema, how many Perels (IN ISRAEL) do you know who are not chassidish? That's exactly the data point I was looking for Smile

Based on a link posted in another thread showing popularity of names in Israel, seems overall Perel is on the rise there (although very possibly just in chassidish circles).

And if anyone has any other thoughts, please share!

Oh right, I forgot in Israel….I know one who is Israeli/sfardi and lives in America….I’m trying to think if I know any that actually live in Israel….

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:09 pm
My very chassidish aunt moved from Israel to the US. Her daughter is Penina, she registered her to school as Perri but at home she still calls her Penina.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 2:22 pm
I know tons girls named perri in Lakewood. It’s such a cute name

ROFL

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:23 pm
A freind of mine has a daughter named Dar דר
Which is mother of Pearl in Hebrew.

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:29 pm
One of my two names is Perel (I go by both names) and I like it Smile I happen to be chassidish and live in NY bit I had quite a few (at least 10) totally not chassidish friends who were also Perel but I cannot speak about Israel. Would you give her a nickname penny or Perry or pearlie? I can hear the point about Israeli peiple butchering the name with the pronunciation...

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:30 pm
You can definitely get away with Perry. Super cute name anywhere

ImmaBubby

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:33 pm
Another vote for Peri.

First Lady

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:13 pm
We have the name Perel in the family, but lots are Lubavitch where Yiddish names are more common.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:17 pm
Perri will be kind of awkward in Israel, it's spelled/ sounds like fruit

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:19 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
I know tons girls named perri in Lakewood. It’s such a cute name

My daughter is Perri (short for Perel). It must be a name in some parts Israel too, because I’ve found personalized items I can bring back for her in chareidi shopping areas.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:20 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Perri will be kind of awkward in Israel, it's spelled/ sounds like fruit

פערי

LAmom97

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 6:02 pm
Smiling at all the votes for Peri/Perry/פערי, a lot of ppl love that nickname. Me and my husband actually really like Perel, in it's original form (we also have weird associations with Perry - know a non-Jewish man with that name- so we agreed against it). That's why I was specifically asking about PEREL in Israel.

We'd also consider adding another name before Perel. Any ideas of what might go, Israel-friendly? (Not old lady names LOL )

Once again NOT Penina or Margalit - we've ruled those out already.

Thanks Smile

Last edited by LAmom97 on Mon, Aug 09 2021, 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 6:21 pm
Yakira Perel
Temima Perel
Rinat Perel
Orit Perel

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 2:27 pm
I know one woman named Esther Perel. She uses both or either. I've noticed that Israelis tend to address her as Esther, while Americans use both names.

I also know two little girls who have Perel as a second name, but they don't use it regularly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names