Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Keto stores in Flatbush

shaindeldevora

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:45 pm
DH advised me today that he's going keto when I get back from the country! I've heard a lot about it and have noticed some stores have sections of low carb items but I never really paid much attention. Please advise of the best stores that have keto products, breads, pastas, sauces. Who has largest selection? Who have best prices? Any advice heartily welcome!

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:53 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
DH advised me today that he's going keto when I get back from the country! I've heard a lot about it and have noticed some stores have sections of low carb items but I never really paid much attention. Please advise of the best stores that have keto products, breads, pastas, sauces. Who has largest selection? Who have best prices? Any advice heartily welcome!

All junk not really Keto
Anyone can slap that label on anything
Keep it simple
Go on diet dr.com for help
Basically
Fatty protein - the fattier the better
Low carb veg- under 5g of carb per 100g
Extra fat - olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, butter, home made mayo, mct oil

Use sparingly and carefully- nuts and nut products, avocado, olives, berries

shaindeldevora

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 3:55 pm
If I want to make him a roast what sauce could I use, just realizing now all my sauces and marinades are very high carb

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:21 pm
All or most sauces have sugar . Baby Rays makes a no sugar added version of BBQ sauce but you can only have a tiny amount like a Tbsp in order to keep within the allowed carbs for the day.

It pays to rather make a savory sauce with wholesome ingredients , and if you need to sweeten it , there’s a brand of erythritol sweetener called Swerve and they have a brown sugar version . Good luck .

shaindeldevora

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:26 pm
What about Walden farms sauces. I'm looking at what they sell and everything is carb free, looks great!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:45 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
If I want to make him a roast what sauce could I use, just realizing now all my sauces and marinades are very high carb

Marinate the roast overnight in a paste of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Lay it over sliced onions and add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan. It will make its own juices.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:47 pm
I am trying to be gluten free until rosh hashana to see if it helps my stomach. Someone told me about a bread called base culture its also keto. I didnt get to try it yet but target sells it. Its supposed to be delicious.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:54 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
What about Walden farms sauces. I'm looking at what they sell and everything is carb free, looks great!

They don’t taste good . It would ruin a good roast .
I’ve used the strawberry sauce and chocolate sauce on cheese cake and caramel sauce on pancakes when I did a different low carb diet. I have not used any of this while on Keto . I never bothered with their other sauces because I prefer a natural tasting roast than a chemical flavored one (you can’t compare it to the sugar laden ones).

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:56 pm
I have done keto. One of the ways I like to make a roast is to place it on a bed of mushrooms with garlic and a nice dry rub of herbs. You can also marinate the roast in olive oil and some red wine.

As far as ingredients go, you can try nuts.com if you will use an ok hechsher. Bob’sred mill also has an excellent selection of products. Coconut flour, chia seeds, ground flax meal, flax seeds, hemp seeds, all can be used to make “coatings” for fish and veg and even chicken. Macadamia nuts are good when ground up and used like a flour or finely crushed and used as a coating. I have made keto zucchini bread, coconut squares, and even a pareve ice cream that doesn’t even require anything more than putting it in a container after the ingredients are mixed and sticking it in the freezer. Lay in a stock of coconut milk and coconut cream. Roland’s is the best brand to use. Don’t make it harder than you have to. Enjoy!

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:57 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I am trying to be gluten free until rosh hashana to see if it helps my stomach. Someone told me about a bread called base culture its also keto. I didnt get to try it yet but target sells it. Its supposed to be delicious.

Also the Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Wraps are 3 net carbs each. Great for Keto. (I find them at Target)

shaindeldevora

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 4:58 pm
Anyone in the midwood area can recommend local supermarkets that have decent selection of products?

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 5:47 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
I have done keto. One of the ways I like to make a roast is to place it on a bed of mushrooms with garlic and a nice dry rub of herbs. You can also marinate the roast in olive oil and some red wine.

As far as ingredients go, you can try nuts.com if you will use an ok hechsher. Bob’sred mill also has an excellent selection of products. Coconut flour, chia seeds, ground flax meal, flax seeds, hemp seeds, all can be used to make “coatings” for fish and veg and even chicken. Macadamia nuts are good when ground up and used like a flour or finely crushed and used as a coating. I have made keto zucchini bread, coconut squares, and even a pareve ice cream that doesn’t even require anything more than putting it in a container after the ingredients are mixed and sticking it in the freezer. Lay in a stock of coconut milk and coconut cream. Roland’s is the best brand to use. Don’t make it harder than you have to. Enjoy!

My question to you is
How successful were you eating these products
Maybe it’s just me, but I would gain weight if I touched any of these treats

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 3:09 am
I’ll be happy to send you the PDF of a good basic way of eating that is low carb. Eat real food.

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 6:24 am
Actually, I was very successful at losing weight. It came off quickly and I maintained it for a long time. Then COVID came, I couldn’t go to the stores to get items, in fact I still haven’t gone into a store, and the weight came back. But I am starting again because I just ordered a ton of those items and I am determined to lose it all. I don’t know why you feel you would gain weight. All the items I mentioned have a tremendous amount of fiber which reduces the net carbs to almost nothing. Remember, you can have up to 20 grams of carbs a day. At times, the diet can get boring, but you have to be creative.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:00 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
Actually, I was very successful at losing weight. It came off quickly and I maintained it for a long time. Then COVID came, I couldn’t go to the stores to get items, in fact I still haven’t gone into a store, and the weight came back. But I am starting again because I just ordered a ton of those items and I am determined to lose it all. I don’t know why you feel you would gain weight. All the items I mentioned have a tremendous amount of fiber which reduces the net carbs to almost nothing. Remember, you can have up to 20 grams of carbs a day. At times, the diet can get boring, but you have to be creative.

Many people are triggered to binge by eating things that are highly processed and sweetened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise