Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How can you move if no mikvah?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jul 23 2021, 6:11 pm
Jackson has a Mikva in royal grove. Toms River has 2 mid process being built.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 4:39 pm
[quote="cnc"]
Quote:
Shabbos
There are people who just dont live close enough to a mikvah to go on friday night. Thats just how it is for some. Nothing to do. It just has to be pushed off.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 4:40 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
During the many lockdowns in Israel numerous people made mini mikvaos in their homes for like 10k
If you have 600k plus to buy a house , you don’t have another 20 to mekadesh the home

Something to think about
Wait, what? Nobody was building mikvaot in their homes here in Israel.
The mikvaot were never closed at all, not during any of the lockdowns.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 5:09 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
During the many lockdowns in Israel numerous people made mini mikvaos in their homes for like 10k
If you have 600k plus to buy a house , you don’t have another 20 to mekadesh the home

Something to think about

I didn't hear of anyone doing this. Where did it happen?

During lockdown mikvaot remained fully open, mikva ladies were considered essential workers, and going to the mikva was a valid reason for leaving the house. There would have been no reason for anyone to build their own mikva.

To say nothing of the practical consideration that the first and second lockdowns were mainly during the dry season, and getting the required amount of natural rainfall would have been impossible.

banana123

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 5:32 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I didn't hear of anyone doing this. Where did it happen?

During lockdown mikvaot remained fully open, mikva ladies were considered essential workers, and going to the mikva was a valid reason for leaving the house. There would have been no reason for anyone to build their own mikva.

To say nothing of the practical consideration that the first and second lockdowns were mainly during the dry season, and getting the required amount of natural rainfall would have been impossible.

I heard of it for men. Not for women.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 5:35 pm
I've just had a further thought on this. While women's mikvaot remained open right through, men's mikvaot were closed during the strictest parts of lockdown, and were only allowed to accommodate a limited amount of men during the initial phases of opening up. So maybe there would have been some logic in building a men's mikva.

Though I didn't hear of anybody doing that, and the rainwater issue would still remain.

amother
RosePink

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:55 pm
It’s not considered a place without a mikva. There places in Toms River that r just a few min drive from Lakewood. Just because it has a diff name/ township doesn’t make it a place with no mikva.
About Friday night - many rabbanim are ok with pushing off if both spouses r ok with it. If you and your husband won’t be then that’s something you need to discuss I guess

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:04 pm
Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread.

I stayed by a relative's house for a shabbos in Tom's river 2 summers ago. Their pool is a kosher mikva, and some men in their shul came to use it shabbos morning.

Also, I live in Brooklyn and I'm married for 8 years. I have only beeded to go twice on Friday night in all these years, so it's not really an everyday issue for most. Additionally, many people in Brooklyn sort of group Lakewood, Tom's River and Jackson into one category, and most people moving there are coming from Brooklyn. So they aren't viewing it as a neighborhood without a mikva.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:09 pm
There’s 2 being built now in Jackson
I live in Jackson. It’s a 40 min walk to Lakewood Mikva
So there’s definitely options out there!

amother
Charcoal

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:32 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
The seventh day. My rav who holds that this is acceptable oversees our local mikvah so you can make an appointment Friday afternoon to accommodate (we’re a small community, so appointments are always needed for the mikvah). I was actually surprised about this when we moved here, but we go by him and our community standards, so I go with it. It really is way more convenient, and means that I don’t push off the way I otherwise probably would.

Same same. But we have to pay more lol because the mikvah opens special

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:30 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'll be moving to a place where the nearest mikvah is 4 hours away. We'll be building one!

That’s amazing! Tell us more Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 8:18 am
banana123 wrote:
I heard of it for men. Not for women.
In israel?

banana123

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 10:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In israel?

Yes. Men's mikvaot were closed during the first seger, unless they opened illegally. Many men who go to mikva every day "built their own mikva." I don't know exactly how it works, but there were kits sold, and it seemed to be a very lucrative business.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 10:33 am
For all those who say Fri nights are uncommon, and you can push off, keep in mind there's also YT. I've gone numerous times on Pesach, Sukkos, etc. Pushing off on YT can mean 2 (or even 3) days delay. I'm grateful that my local mikvah is walkable, even though Fri and YT nights are always complicated.

Also, though this may come up only rarely if you're at a stage where you are often pregnant or nursing, it may be much more frequent when you're no longer having babies (or have longer breaks).

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
For all those who say Fri nights are uncommon, and you can push off, keep in mind there's also YT. I've gone numerous times on Pesach, Sukkos, etc. Pushing off on YT can mean 2 (or even 3) days delay. I'm grateful that my local mikvah is walkable, even though Fri and YT nights are always complicated.

Also, though this may come up only rarely if you're at a stage where you are often pregnant or nursing, it may be much more frequent when you're no longer having babies (or have longer breaks).

The two times I got permission from my rav to go earlier in the day was on erev chag, when we wouldn’t be home and I was not comfortable going in the city where we would be. Both times it would have meant pushing off for a three day chag. It happens to be that in 15 years, I have only had to go on a chag those two times.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread.

I stayed by a relative's house for a shabbos in Tom's river 2 summers ago. Their pool is a kosher mikva, and some men in their shul came to use it shabbos morning.

Also, I live in Brooklyn and I'm married for 8 years. I have only beeded to go twice on Friday night in all these years, so it's not really an everyday issue for most. Additionally, many people in Brooklyn sort of group Lakewood, Tom's River and Jackson into one category, and most people moving there are coming from Brooklyn. So they aren't viewing it as a neighborhood without a mikva.

Same disclaimer: didn't read all this either.
In case no one said this yet: halachos for construction of a kosher women's mikva are complicated and there are no compromises allowed. Almost anyone can build or have someone build for them a men's mikva, many pools qualify. They're not the same and you don't want to make that mistake. No rabbi, sephardic, ashkenaz, chabad or whatever you choose, will say it's okay for a woman to dip in the type of pool a man can use.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:32 pm
If there's a mikvah within an hour's walk, you're not moving to a place with no mikvah. It may be unpleasant or even unrealistic on a Friday night, but this isn't a case of moving to a town without a mikvah.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

I lived in a community a few years ago where it was not walkable to the mikvah. So if I ever had to go on yuntif or shabbos, I had to push it off.
Its just the way it was. I didnt like it, but I had no choice.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries