Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby sleeping on stomach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:05 pm
Am I terrible? My 2 month old baby has acid reflux and colic and out of desperation because she screams all night I put her on her stomach. She loves it and is sleeping better but I always have to wake her up for a feeding because she sleeps a long time. I know the drs. say not to and I keep checking on her.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:09 pm
I would never do it. Not worth the risk to me. Also I couldn’t live with the guilt chas vshalom

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:10 pm
My 3 month old has been sleeping on her stomach since we got home from the hospital. She is my sixth child to do so, including a preemie who I once found choking when she was sleeping on her back and her food had come up. You need to do a risk-benefit analysis, and with a reflux baby, the benefits outweigh the risks if this is the only way the child will sleep.

Why do you wake your baby?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:10 pm
I feel for you because I know what it’s like to be sleep-deprived and desperate. But the stats are not on your side Sad because babies sleep more deeply that way, they are also at a much higher risk for SIDs, cv. This isn’t a controversial piece of
medical advice, it’s clear across the board. I wouldn’t do it.

amother
Maple

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:14 pm
Some of my babies slept on their bellies. It was the only way they would sleep. You can't just stay awake all the time, so sometimes you have to do what works.

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:20 pm
I put my babies on their stomachs by that age. They sleep much better and can reliably pick up their head at that age.
A few important rules though:
Use a very well fitted/tight sheet, with nothing extra in the crib and no blanket.
Baby cannot be swaddled.

Full disclosure: I am an OT. Babies who sleep on their stomach reach gross motor milestones earlier. Also, the Back to Sleep campaign aligned with other improved factors affecting SIDS such as decreased smoking in mothers. It's unclear if the back to sleep part actually made a difference, as the research studied correlations, not causation.

(Also, I was always nervous a baby might spit up or throw up and choke if they were on their back. I used to out them on their side until they slept on their stomachs. )

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:27 pm
One of my babies cried through the night. One night I literally reached the end of my rope and put her on her stomach. She promptly fell asleep and slept very well that night. From then on, she slept on her stomach. It was the only way she would sleep. She was the only one of my kids that liked to sleep on the stomach.

amother
Phlox

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:33 pm
SIDs stats go down dramatically for nursing babies and pacifiers, even when sleeping on their stomach.

clowny

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:51 pm
All of my 8 children slept on their stomach from day one, including my currently 2 1/2 month old. That’s the only way they sleep. Sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do and the rest we leave up to the one above. I say an extra techina before going to bed and I beg Hashem to keep my child safe.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:53 pm
She was a preemie and she sort of lifts her head. Problem is that she can sleep for hours and not wake up to be fed. How long I wait between each feeding ( I bottle feed) before I wake her up?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She was a preemie and she sort of lifts her head. Problem is that she can sleep for hours and not wake up to be fed. How long I wait between each feeding ( I bottle feed) before I wake her up?

That’s a question for your pediatrician. My preemie needed to be fed every 3 hours but he has no issues waking Me up for it

amother
Crocus

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:03 pm
It really depends on their weight gain. If baby is gaining really well and sleeping through the nights don't wake them!! If not gaining well when then you need to wake every 3 hrs.

amother
Ballota

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:08 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
SIDs stats go down dramatically for nursing babies and pacifiers, even when sleeping on their stomach.

My first three children would only sleep on their stomaches. (Child number 4 I was successful on getting to sleep on back. I tried at least a few weeks with each child.) With my oldest, I remember admitting to the pediatrician that she was sleeping on her stomach. Dr of course says something that it is advised to but to sleep on back. But he kind of says it in a neutral tone. I then get all emotional and tell him how difficult it was and I thought I had ppd because of the lack of sleep and how horribly guilty I feel now that she sleeps on her stomach. And I feel like an irresponsible mother. The pediatrician, who is somewhat old school, (was my pediatrician) says quietly. "You know that babies who use pacifiers are lower risk for sids?" I say yes and mention that baby does use a pacifier. He then says, "if a baby refuses to take a pacifier, does that make his or her parents irresponsible?"

P.S. Let the baby sleep. It's entirely fine for a two month old to sleep through the night. Most of my children, including the back sleeper, did.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:17 pm
Not all two month olds can sleep through the night- mine needed to be woken up to eat (and she was not a preemie! Huge baby actually but not a great eater.)

Especially with a preemie check with your pediatrician how often she needs to eat. Also obviously depends on how often she’ll eat by day…

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 10:28 pm
my babies sleep on their tummies and I never wake them up. it makes me happy, not worried, when they sleep for long stretches. they gain weight well and are happy.

I agree with other posters--tummy sleepers reach milestones faster, you have to do a risk benefit analysis, etc. like others, once I started tummy sleeping I never went back. used to make myself crazy trying to get the baby to stay asleep after being put down. but when I put them on their tummies, it's natural and comfortable and they stay asleep. they also are more likely to start getting themselves to sleep without too much upset in that position. my kids at least.

I think a lot of parents still do it and don't want to admit it.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 11:19 pm
My kids all slept comfortably on their stomachs - until the one, who died of SIDS!!!

Just because most kids do OK on their stomachs (as did my older children), doesn’t mean they all will (as evidenced by my child, who did not wake up one morning.) PSA: Most children will do OK on their stomachs, but how do you know if your child is one, who won’t? (My child had no warning signs, and my pediatrician had given me a green light to put him on his stomach.).

It’s true it’s a relatively small risk - but, given that the potential consequences are devastating and irreversible- is it worth taking the chance???

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 3:21 am
There is no way to prove that sids is connected to tummy sleeping. Unfortunately many babies have died of sids on their backs too. To add it says in the vaccine insert that it can cause sids too.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 3:55 am
Stomach sleeping is correlated with SIDS, this has been proven time and time again. Yes breastfeeding and not smoking decreases the risk but the risk is still much higher for stomach sleepers without these risk factors. SIDS numbers have decreased dramatically since the back-to-sleep campaign. This is crystal clear in studies done. Everyone is going to give you their anecdotal evidence of “my baby was fine” and “babies sleep better on their stomachs.” If you’re just looking for a little reassurance in that form, you’ll find plenty of it. If you want the hard truth, it’s that it’s very clearly not a risk-free option. Preemies are at higher risk for SIDS to begin with, I hope you are aware.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:02 am
I hear both sides. I thank you all for your insight.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:18 am
My baby would only sleep on stomach. I used an owlet device for months to monitor heart rate and breathing and for peace of mind.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics