Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Tell me everything about zoloft for 11 year old
Previous  1  2

cream+sugar

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When can I expect to see improvement. Just took his first dose this morning. Stopped the vyvanse. Hoping for a yeshua

It might be a week or two, and improvements might happen gradually, as his brain adjusts. I know, for me, the first change I saw was that, after about four days, I was noticing smells again -- like, grass and trees and things as I walked around. My anxiety tuned down enough that I could appreciate non-essential things around me. Other things took longer.

It's not like flipping a switch, it's more like...you know as you drink your first coffee in the morning, the first thing you notice is the heat and the taste, then you notice you are able to process your kid telling you about the homework they forgot, then you are able to remember to take the lasagna out of the freezer for dinner, and finally as you finish the cup you are able to get yourself out the door? It's like that. Not every change is going to be noticeable to the people outside of him, and everything takes time. In my experience, it is worth it.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 10:42 pm
I had 2 children on zoloft at that age. Was a real miracle drug. Life with them on it went from running a psych unit to running a household. It did take a few tweaks to find the exact dose

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:24 pm
I am crossing my fingers. It's a few days and so far I see tiny improvements. He beats up his brother but only one time and less angrily. He asks to be tucked in. He got dressed pretty easily. He even offered to give away a too small blanket to his brother, something he could never ever do for 3 years now. He was ok when I ended the fast and said we had to put away our chess game.

Hashem is this the answer to my tzaaros for the past decade???
The vyvanse made himcrazy.
Guanfacine did nothing.
Anyone else see that zoloft is literally a miracle.

I'm in tears and super grateful. Let's hope this lasts.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:26 pm
cream+sugar wrote:
It might be a week or two, and improvements might happen gradually, as his brain adjusts. I know, for me, the first change I saw was that, after about four days, I was noticing smells again -- like, grass and trees and things as I walked around. My anxiety tuned down enough that I could appreciate non-essential things around me. Other things took longer.

It's not like flipping a switch, it's more like...you know as you drink your first coffee in the morning, the first thing you notice is the heat and the taste, then you notice you are able to process your kid telling you about the homework they forgot, then you are able to remember to take the lasagna out of the freezer for dinner, and finally as you finish the cup you are able to get yourself out the door? It's like that. Not every change is going to be noticeable to the people outside of him, and everything takes time. In my experience, it is worth it.

Tysm I truly appreciate your perspective.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:32 pm
I suggest going with him to a therapist who's trained and qualified to treat trauma. Perhaps an SE therapist.
Maybe mamamanon.com can illuminate more for you.
Our dd was on Zoloft at age 11 and had quite adverse reaction to it so we stopped. Was hospitalized shortly after. Trauma therapy resolved her problem at the nervous system level. It costed a lot of money though ☹️. and I borrowed it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 8:22 pm
Surprisingly my child has been doing really good. But this morning he had a bad moment- he was chasing his brother and started hurting again - something he had not done since he started zoloft. Is it normal to have a regression - he never missed a dose. Does the zoloft make him less aggressive or calmer? Why would he suddenly revert to the behavior. I thought the medicine would eradicate it.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:46 am
No medication is magic and going to make your child behave perfectly. It can help a child cope with stress better and therefore their behavior can improve - I wouldn't call it a regression if overall he's doing better. It is normal for kids to act out every once in a while ....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 7:57 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
No medication is magic and going to make your child behave perfectly. It can help a child cope with stress better and therefore their behavior can improve - I wouldn't call it a regression if overall he's doing better. It is normal for kids to act out every once in a while ....

ty for this perspective.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 8:13 am
cream+sugar wrote:
I can only weigh in as an adult currently on Zoloft -- I love it. It took a while to find my optimal dosage, but my moods are extremely stable, my anxiety is almost entirely under control, and I feel vastly more energetic. The only negative side effect is it makes internal temperature regulation harder for the body, so I get hotter and sweatier more easily. I agree with the previous poster: 25mg is an incredibly low dose, and as long as everyone is aware of the potential for suicidal ideation, it sounds worth a try to me.

Does it affect your weight at all?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)