Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How to cure this rash? Updated with pics on page 3
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 9:16 pm
I’m starting off by saying that I’ve taken my baby to his primary care doctor, four visits to an allergist, and two visits to a dermatologist.

At 5 months old my baby developed a rash on his face that the doctor said was eczema that was aggravated by drool as he was teething pretty badly. He then started eating solids like sweet potato, carrots etc. Within a few days it progressed to a pretty bad rash so my doctor said I should take him to an allergist. The allergist did some skin tests based on the foods he was eating at the time (it wasn’t much because he was only 6 months) and it came out that he’s allergic to eggs and tree nuts, both of which he’s never had. He did test slightly positive for cows milk, but since he’s been on a dairy formula since birth with zero issues, she wasn’t concerned but said to avoid yogurt and dairy foods. She prescribed mupirocin and hydrocortisone. my baby continued to be crazy itchy and miserable so I brought him back to the allergist since the rash wasn’t getting better and was only getting worse. She gave him antibiotics because she said the rash got infected. She also told me not to be feeding him new foods which I haven’t been doing anyway. She said I should continue just with the mupirocin so I did. The rash didn’t get better at all and my baby has been miserable ever since. She told me that there’s not much more for her to do since he’s not allergic to any foods he was eating and I should take him to see a dermatologist as it’s not allergy related. the dermatologist prescribed 2.5 hydrocortisone but said he doesn’t know what’s causing the rash. He said it has “excematic features” but is not typical excema because it’s only on his face and nowhere on his body which rules out detergent, environmental etc. My poor baby is miserable and super itchy. I only use non fragranced shampoo. He’s had bleach baths with no improvement. Even the hydrocortisone isn’t working and it’s such a high percentage for a baby.
Aside from the rash he has no other symptoms, like vomiting, diarrhea etc.
any ideas what could be causing it??

teachkids

Post Sat, Jul 24 2021, 11:53 pm
I would go off milk temporarily to see if it makes a difference

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:04 am
Dan you post a picture of the rash?

Please ask your doctor to look into perioral dermatitis. Very common in young children that use a lot of topical steroids for eczema. If this is what it is then it will not go away unless you get antibiotics AND most importantly stop with the steroids

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:44 am
For sure switch to dairy free formula. Or go dairy free if you're nursing. Oy, refuah shelaima!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:09 am
teachkids wrote:
I would go off milk temporarily to see if it makes a difference

He’s 8 months old, not having any milk yet. Can you develop a milk allergy to formula at 5 months with no other side effects aside from a facial rash?

teachkids

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’s 8 months old, not having any milk yet. Can you develop a milk allergy to formula at 5 months with no other side effects aside from a facial rash?

If he came up positive for a milk allergy and has a rash I would suspect they’re related. Milk based formula is milk. Try soy for a bit and see if it helps

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:15 am
[quote="amother [ Sapphire ]"]Dan you post a picture of the rash?

Please ask your doctor to look into perioral dermatitis. Very common in young children that use a lot of topical steroids for eczema. If this is what it is then it will not go away unless you get antibiotics AND most importantly stop with the steroids[/

he was on an oral antibiotics and no hydrocortisone for 10 days with no improvement. He’s not on a lot of steroids. They started him on hydrocortisone once it got really bad

I don’t know how to upload a picture

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:18 am
teachkids wrote:
If he came up positive for a milk allergy and has a rash I would suspect they’re related. Milk based formula is milk. Try soy for a bit and see if it helps

I really dislike soy formula and the doctor said an allergy would be all over, not just face, and also there would be other side effects and there are none. My question is can he suddenly develop an intolerance at 5 months?

Another thing I want to add, this all started right after he started eating solids but he was tested for everything he was eating and nothing came out positive. We are back to eating only basics, carrots, sweet potato etc, all things he tested negative for. That’s another reason why I’m so hesitant to switch formulas, because it’s really unlikely that that is the issue.

s1

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 2:58 am
Kids who are allergic to milk are also often allergic to soy too.
An allergy rash can start suddenly and just be on the face,
my son had it from 3 months old and I cut out of my diet all dairy, tomatoes,beans, eggs etc. He was on a non milk and non soy formula. The eczema was his only symptom. Eventually it cleared up and now he’s much older and his skin is fine and his allergies have mostly gone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:18 am
s1 wrote:
Kids who are allergic to milk are also often allergic to soy too.
An allergy rash can start suddenly and just be on the face,
my son had it from 3 months old and I cut out of my diet all dairy, tomatoes,beans, eggs etc. He was on a non milk and non soy formula. The eczema was his only symptom. Eventually it cleared up and now he’s much older and his skin is fine and his allergies have mostly gone.

Is soybean the same as soy? Because he’s negative for soybean. Also I’m not sure if I wasn’t clear or not, but the dermatologist said it’s not excema, but has “excematic features” so they’re not sure why it’s not responding to the typical treatments

teachkids

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really dislike soy formula and the doctor said an allergy would be all over, not just face, and also there would be other side effects and there are none. My question is can he suddenly develop an intolerance at 5 months?

Another thing I want to add, this all started right after he started eating solids but he was tested for everything he was eating and nothing came out positive. We are back to eating only basics, carrots, sweet potato etc, all things he tested negative for. That’s another reason why I’m so hesitant to switch formulas, because it’s really unlikely that that is the issue.

allergies can come and go.

s1

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is soybean the same as soy? Because he’s negative for soybean. Also I’m not sure if I wasn’t clear or not, but the dermatologist said it’s not excema, but has “excematic features” so they’re not sure why it’s not responding to the typical treatments

I think soy bean would be the same as soy.
However kids can be intolerant to things which can cause a reaction, but not necessarily by allergic, so it won’t show up on allergy tests.
Even if it’s not officially eczema, IMO it’s worth cutting out all milk and milk products

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:10 am
s1 wrote:
I think soy bean would be the same as soy.
However kids can be intolerant to things which can cause a reaction, but not necessarily by allergic, so it won’t show up on allergy tests.
Even if it’s not officially eczema, IMO it’s worth cutting out all milk and milk products

I may just end up doing that but was wondering one thing. If someone is intolerant to let’s say dairy, and gets a bad rash when they have it, can it sometimes lead to an allergic reaction as well? I’m asking because my baby has gotten allergic reactions that made his rash look extremely severe and needed Benadryl for it. I guess my question is if he’s intolerant or allergic to his formula, then why hasn’t the rash been consistent? Sometimes it’s bright red splotches, sometimes it’s more severe and spreads, and sometimes is just a lighter color all from the same thing. Shouldn’t he be getting the same reaction every time? And shouldn’t it be the same severe all the time?

SYA

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:18 am
I had a baby with egg and milk allergy. As long as the child nursed I had to go off those foods. We found out as the child was very colicky and spitting up a lot.

Another child with the same allergy was just a rash on the back along the top of the diaper. The allergy Dr didn't think that it could be allergies but tested when we insisted. Once we went off the foods the rash went away.

SYA

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:21 am
I know someone who used to do energy healing and "diagnosed" food allergies and intolerances. The severe excema went away once the mother and baby were on a strict diet.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:30 am
SYA wrote:
I had a baby with egg and milk allergy. As long as the child nursed I had to go off those foods. We found out as the child was very colicky and spitting up a lot.

Another child with the same allergy was just a rash on the back along the top of the diaper. The allergy Dr didn't think that it could be allergies but tested when we insisted. Once we went off the foods the rash went away.

But was this rash there from the beginning or started later in life? This rash started at 5 months right when we started solids

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:44 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
For sure switch to dairy free formula. Or go dairy free if you're nursing. Oy, refuah shelaima!

This is what worked for my baby.

Bubby6

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 6:08 pm
If the rash is on his face, maybe switch laundry detergent?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 8:32 pm
Bubby6 wrote:
If the rash is on his face, maybe switch laundry detergent?

If detergent is the problem the rash would be all over his body too from his clothes

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 8:46 pm
Perhaps it is time to get a second opinion?

One of my kids had bad eczema and I had a hunch it was eggs. We tested him and he was negative. However, when we went home and fed him an egg he vomited up very quickly. The doctor explained that though technically not an allergy, he had an intolerance to the egg (and we were told to take him off it again).

Also, I had a baby with terrible eczema on his cheeks, and it seemed to only get worse with the hydrocortisone. I don't recall that he had eczema anywhere else on the body, but it must have been allergy related since it went away when I stopped eating eggs.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics