Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Does anyone have an anxious 6 year old?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 8:38 am
What did you do? My daughter was asked to leave school after the end of pre1a/primary/kindergarten/year before first grade. They said she’s disruptive and likely borderline autistic. I went through the motions of bringing her to schools that might be a better fit. And they said she’s just a bit anxious and hyper. What do people do for this age? CBT? Meds? Stimulants for the hyperactivity? I have another anxious child, but she wasn’t nearly as young.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 9:02 am
Since you mentioned another child can I assume that either you or your husband are dealing with this as well? What are you doing as adults to be role models? It sounds like you Would all benefit from family therapy and individual therapy. After a few sessions the therapist may be able to assess if he thinks you should go to a psychiatrist and try medication.
Not sure where you are located.
There is an agency in Brooklyn that can assign you a care manager and help you find a therapist and extra help after school for children and adults with anxiety.
Comfort health 7184085400

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 9:11 am
My 6 year old was similiar. He also has adhd. His anxiety has gotten so much better after being on ritalin for a half a year. He feels more in control of himself and the situation that he is in and therefore less anxious.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 9:54 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
My 6 year old was similiar. He also has adhd. His anxiety has gotten so much better after being on ritalin for a half a year. He feels more in control of himself and the situation that he is in and therefore less anxious.

Has school been a problem for you?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
Since you mentioned another child can I assume that either you or your husband are dealing with this as well? What are you doing as adults to be role models? It sounds like you Would all benefit from family therapy and individual therapy. After a few sessions the therapist may be able to assess if he thinks you should go to a psychiatrist and try medication.
Not sure where you are located.
There is an agency in Brooklyn that can assign you a care manager and help you find a therapist and extra help after school for children and adults with anxiety.
Comfort health 7184085400

I am a more anxious person. Both I and the older child manage well without medication or therapy. This child may need both. I’m in Lakewood, not Brooklyn. School is enough of a problem here, that having a child kicked out of school is a major problem. The school is not willing to reconsider their position. Every place we’ve had her evaluated has tried to talk to the principal about her not being special needs. Alas.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has school been a problem for you?

Very much.
I didn't know how he would survive in a regular classroom. The ritalin has really been a miracle for us. He is building confidence that he is also able to succeed.
I tried to get some guidance how to help him and was told that he didn't have adhd and it was emotional. However I I took him to a great doctor and since he began medication his teachers are telling me that he's a different kid.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Very much.
I didn't know how he would survive in a regular classroom. The ritalin has really been a miracle for us. He is building confidence that he is also able to succeed.
I tried to get some guidance how to help him and was told that he didn't have adhd and it was emotional. However I I took him to a great doctor and since he began medication his teachers are telling me that he's a different kid.

And the anxiety was helped by Ritalin? Usually anxiety meds are anti-depressants.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:40 am
Take the child to a neuropsychologist to get evaluated. It doesn’t matter what “people do”. You need to find the right path for this child.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:43 am
My DD is on cotempla for ADHD which may be making her anxiety worse. So we just halved her dose. She's has a clonidine patch which is to help with a little of the anxiety and emotional regulation. Still figuring things myself, but I'm sharing my experience.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:44 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
Take the child to a neuropsychologist to get evaluated. It doesn’t matter what “people do”. You need to find the right path for this child.

I’ve been on a waiting list at multiple places all year. I’m not stupid. I just haven’t been able to make any progress and it’s almost August. As I have no certainty that I will be able to get her evaluated in time, I’m having some serious palpitations about her being home all next year.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve been on a waiting list at multiple places all year. I’m not stupid. I just haven’t been able to make any progress and it’s almost August. As I have no certainty that I will be able to get her evaluated in time, I’m having some serious palpitations about her being home all next year.

I’m sorry 😞
The brutal truth is that it’s hard living in Lakewood with a child like this. In nyc or even very oot you might have had more options. We are kind of stuck in Brooklyn because of a child similar to yours. Not special needs but not NT either.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
I’m sorry 😞
The brutal truth is that it’s hard living in Lakewood with a child like this. In nyc or even very oot you might have had more options. We are kind of stuck in Brooklyn because of a child similar to yours. Not special needs but not NT either.

The school said that established schools like Bais Faiga have a better set up for kids like her and do I have any pull. Obviously they will be dying to take my child who is such a ‘problem’ she got kicked out of school.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The school said that established schools like Bais Faiga have a better set up for kids like her and do I have any pull. Obviously they will be dying to take my child who is such a ‘problem’ she got kicked out of school.

Like I said, brutal to live in Lakewood with a child like this.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And the anxiety was helped by Ritalin? Usually anxiety meds are anti-depressants.

No his adhd was causing his anxiety.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's baloney. Your school just doesn't want to deal with it. I send to Bais Faiga and my daughter has severe ADHD Inattentive. They aren't set up for her either. B"h they have caring teachers and administration so they do what they can for her. I haven't heard that there are great options in Brooklyn either so I'm not sure what the above posters are referring to.

How is she academically? Maybe you can send to a self-contained classroom. My daughter is too advanced academically for that to be an option.

The one option that the school did offer us was a shadow for part of the day.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 11:02 pm
I am getting my child evaluated in lakewood now. I called in june and got a july appointment. Maybe call other places? What about the vaad would they help get her into a school? Also did you offer to have a shadow in her original school? Maybe that would be good enough for them to keep her?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 10:05 am
Anxiety, disruptive, hyperactive, dysregulated, autistic like behaviors, sounds just like pandas or pans to me. Find a functional medical doctor who will help you treat root causes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)