Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When your boss says you can't
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:32 pm
Go on vacation...

I would love a break between summer and school. I work in a school but one that runs 12 months and I asked my boss for a few days off in the summer and she said no.

Two of my husband's chavrusas are upstate for a week and we wanted to join that week but now that she said no... we are staying home.

She said take a vacation in the winter. But winters far away and we would love a break.

We go away for shabbosim and I don't work Sundays so that's good but still....

Anyone feel me?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:36 pm
What does the employee handbook say about vacation?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What does the employee handbook say about vacation?

Says I have 10 vacation days. I still have 4 days left over. Which is sort of unfair. But I don't want to be on bad terms with my boss

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Says I have 10 vacation days. I still have 4 days left over. Which is sort of unfair. But I don't want to be on bad terms with my boss

The vacation days that we don't use roll over to the next year and mine renews in September.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:41 pm
Definitely feel you. It must be tough “being the only one”
From the schools side, the week before school starts is very hectic so I can understand them too.
How about going away right after the chagim when you can definitely use a break.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
Definitely feel you. It must be tough “being the only one”
From the schools side, the week before school starts is very hectic so I can understand them too.
How about going away right after the chagim when you can definitely use a break.

School starts beginning September. I get it that its hard to go away. It would be hard for me too to come back and have an overload of work. I do alot of the work starting the school year so they would be lost without me.
Funny thing, my director was busy telling me go go go on vacation. My boss otoh was like no you can't go. So I got all hyped by my director to be turned down by my boss

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:44 pm
Yep. Hubby has been working everyday aside from shabbos and Yom tovs. His friend got married recently and when my husband asked if he can leave an hour earlier that day to make it in time for at least the end of chuppah, the boss said no. But that’s different. He also asked last year for a week long vacation out of state but the boss also said no that it’s better to go the next month in the summer. But the next month of that summer wouldn’t have worked for us cuz the people we wanted to see had work and school and the month we wanted to go was their summer break. It’s really frustrating Sad we wanted to go to Arizona.
I need out of Brooklyn. My mother has not seen her grandkid since he was home from the hospital. My sister didn’t see my son since he was born and my family has never met my son in person aside from pics I sent them. And that was 2 years ago. We haven’t been out of Brooklyn since.
And I NEED OUT OF BROOKLYN. Arizona is so…spacey. Not so cramped and noisy like here in Brooklyn…
My husband works full time and I do believe he’s entitled to a vacation at least once a year. Idk how the work vacation works here so I’m not 100% sure how often people who work full time take vacations.

No one is supposed to be a slave.

Last edited by PeanutMama on Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Go on vacation...

I would love a break between summer and school. I work in a school but one that runs 12 months and I asked my boss for a few days off in the summer and she said no.

Two of my husband's chavrusas are upstate for a week and we wanted to join that week but now that she said no... we are staying home.

She said take a vacation in the winter. But winters far away and we would love a break.

We go away for shabbosim and I don't work Sundays so that's good but still....

Anyone feel me?

Is it a very busy time for your boss now?. I was under the impression that vacation days are generally open for a time of your choosing, unless it's during a hectic season for your workplace.

Can you approach your boss and ask for some kind of compromise? Can you add extra hours on the following week, work on a Sunday, etc?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:48 pm
Some places require you to put in for vacation far enough in advance for them to plan around you. And there are times that are in great demand. DH's team can't have more than 1 or 2 people out at once, so who ever puts in first gets it. And nobody can take peak season, unless there's a specific thing like a birth or wedding- and then you minimize and take more later.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:48 pm
Aside this convo that I cant take vacation, they don't pay me overtime when I work overtime. I am due for a raise soon and I have a whole conversation planned in my mind but when I get to my boss I know I'll say something else. I wish I wouldn't freeze up when I need to talk serious to her.
Shes a nice person and we have a good time together but she can also be blunt rude and bossy (she is a boss after all) but I just feel like I want to be recognized see you worked so hard for the summer for sure you can take a few days off.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 1:53 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
Is it a very busy time for your boss now?. I was under the impression that vacation days are generally open for a time of your choosing, unless it's during a hectic season for your workplace.

Can you approach your boss and ask for some kind of compromise? Can you add extra hours on the following week, work on a Sunday, etc?

Its always busy. July aug is planning for September. May June is planning for Summer. Nov Dec is planning for January. That leaves me Feb March April October.

And my coworker is due in Nov. Oh well

Vacation? See you never

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its always busy. July aug is planning for September. May June is planning for Summer. Nov Dec is planning for January. That leaves me Feb March April October.

And my coworker is due in Nov. Oh well

Vacation? See you never

Why don’t you start planning a vacation for the quiet time at work. Put in the request now so you can lock up the days before it’s too late.

ysydmom

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:32 pm
Tell her you already have plans and can't change them it's illegal for a boss to say no when you ask for a vacation as long as you give at least 30 days notice. You are entitled to a vacation anytime you want or need one. Explain to the boss that you enjoy your job and in order to be fully functioning you need a well deserved break. If they don't respect that then please find a new job!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 4:40 pm
Lesson learnt.
Going forward you don’t ask you tell.

I will be taking off from this day to this day.
Thank you

The end.

You have off days and you are an adult. You should have the discretion to apply them as needed.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The vacation days that we don't use roll over to the next year and mine renews in September.

What are the limitations stated in the handbook for those vacation days? If it says you need to give 30 days notice, not take off during busy season, and the stars are aligning for you, then just send an email with the handbook attached and quote
As per section x, paragraph y of the handbook, which states "ABC", I will be taking vacation from August _ through August _.
And leave it at that.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:16 pm
I've been told no so I lie and make something up.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 5:43 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Lesson learnt.
Going forward you don’t ask you tell.

I will be taking off from this day to this day.
Thank you

The end.

You have off days and you are an adult. You should have the discretion to apply them as needed.

op I can totally understand how you feel that you dont want to have a bad relationship with your boss...

I can also understand how it feels when it feels like everyonelse is on vacation and you cant take off....ive experienced this as well

I also understand how it is not to be paid overtime and then be unappreciated and that your boss is being harsh...my boss doesnt pay me overtime and also says no, so although I dont take vacation and miss out, at times, ill take a day and will not ask in advance bec I know theyll say no...here, you couldve said im taking x days as per the director

at the same time you are stuck bec you still need to work with your boss daily

I work with nonyehudim and I personally have no respect for these bosses who dont appreciate your hard work/act harsh and deny you your vacation days even when the director said yes, and take advantage and dont pay overtime(then they should not make us work overtime but they know we will be quiet bec we need the job)

most bosses are disgusting and inhumane...
im sorry...

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 12:41 pm
There are jobs that restrict taking vacation in certain months. I definitely know schools that don't allow anyone to take off in August, Accountants that can't take off during busy season. Those places all put it clearly in their contracts and you know that when you take the job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 12:45 pm
mommyhood wrote:
There are jobs that restrict taking vacation in certain months. I definitely know schools that don't allow anyone to take off in August, Accountants that can't take off during busy season. Those places all put it clearly in their contracts and you know that when you take the job.

Noone told me when I cannot take off

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 1:02 pm
Your boss is a bit of a jerk.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful. But I thought maybe you could use the confirmation that no, it's not just you. This is not good management. She should want you to take your vacation time when you need it, not several months from now. Vacation time is good for businesses, not just workers. Good managers know that.

And a good boss, even if they had to say "no," would at least make an effort and give an explanation. Something like, "I'm sorry, but I'll have to check. A lot of people have asked for that week off. I'll see if I can make it work somehow... If not, would (other time within the month) or (third time) work for you?"

The fact that this is the end of the vacation-days year for you makes it more serious.

It's also never OK to not pay overtime.

JMHO but I think you'd do well to start working on scripts for being polite but assertive with her. Sometimes it helps to talk as if of course the other person is planning to do the right thing - eg to say "I realized I've been working overtime without getting overtime pay. That could create legal trouble for us. In the future, if I see that I'm going to go into overtime, should I just stop working, or do you want me to inform you so that you can decide whether it's worth going into overtime pay?"

It also might be worth one more conversation with her about the vacation, if it's not too late. I wonder if mentioning the director's name would help. Eg, "I know you said you'd rather I wait to use my vacation days, but [Director] is really leaning on me to use them now." If she's just saying 'no' because it's the easy way out for her personally, then that might encourage her to try a little harder.

Also, if the director brings up vacation again, I would totally casually say something like, "yeah, I was hoping to take a vacation, but Boss said now's not a good time."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics