Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What to take on our lift
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 9:58 am
Hi! I keep on getting conflicting advice on what we should bring and what we should leave behind.

For example, our beds. My DH and I have 54 inch beds. Originally I thought for sure leave behind because they won't fit. Then other people said bring one and one twin bed. But then I need to bring a supply of linen from the US.

Some people said they bought all new mattresses and then shipped them in their lift. My mattresses are still in great condition but our 10 years old. Does it make sense?

People said if you are paying for a lift anyway you may as well fill it up.

For some context, we are not newlyweds. We are married for a while with a number of older kids. We have plenty of stuff to take with us.

We also don't know exactly where we are living yet. Planning on RBS A if we can find a rental. We have no idea what size an average master bedroom is.

Any advise about what you took or didn't take with you and regrets you have is welcome.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 6:10 pm
Following. I am also wondering whether it's worth it to bring furniture on a lift. I don't have that much but do have a very nice expensive couch that I love which was a gift. And some solid wood bedroom furniture and 2 nice mattresses. I have heard that high quality furniture is very expensive in Israel. In contrast, here you can find lightly used solid furniture very inexpensively. I'm even considering buying furniture at good prices just to bring on a lift. Is that completely crazy?

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jul 25 2021, 7:12 pm
Furniture needs are so different. You may need less furniture and more wardrobes. It's a shame to bring furniture only to have to get rid of it when you realize it makes your home not functional.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 7:32 am
Anyone?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 7:39 am
Not many Israeli bedrooms have room for two 54 inch beds. Ask people who live in the area where you're looking for bedroom measurements, so you can get an idea of what's realistic.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 8:02 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Not many Israeli bedrooms have room for two 54 inch beds. Ask people who live in the area where you're looking for bedroom measurements, so you can get an idea of what's realistic.

That I know.

But what about one 54" bed and one 39"bed?

It's hard to judge by social media groups because people say they brought stuff but they don't say how well off they are and it's not typical to be able to fit.

If we have a 39 inch high riser should we bring it to use in one of our kids bedrooms?

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 8:31 am
Sell your 54” beds and see if you can get a room big enough for 2 48”. That’s what we did.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 8:38 am
My bedrooms in our RBS aleph cottage aren't large.
The kids rooms have 33 inch hirisers or bunk beds with storage underneath.
My bedroom holds 2 39 inch mattresses with 2 night tables

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 8:43 am
We have 2 48 in beds (bought them here in Israel) and most apartments cannot fit 2 of these in the master bedroom. We now own a home and we combined 2 rooms to make a nice sized master bedroom and our beds fit fine but there still wouldn't be room for anything bigger if you also want closets.

A regular twin hi riser you can bring although you can buy that here as well.
I wouldn't bring a couch, it's very likely it won't fit well in a standard apartment.
If you have some well made sentimental pieces like a corner unit or something like that you can bring it, but israeli apartments are not really made for large pieces of furniture.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 8:53 am
found it worked better for us to sell and bring cash and buy locally

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 9:12 am
We brought freezer, ovens, washer dryer and used heavy duty converters. It was worth it for us to have the larger appliances. These are a fortune to buy in Israel.
Also bunk beds if you have a need. All single size beds. They are just a bit wider in general.
Couches, dining room table, Weber bbq grill

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
found it worked better for us to sell and bring cash and buy locally

But selling only works if you have new nice stuff.

Like I said in an earlier post, our stuff is more than 10 years old. We can continue using it happily but nobody is going to buy it. Take it for free maybe but not buy.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 12:37 pm
My parents took their beds, dining room furniture and they didn't regret it. They have huge bedrooms.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 12:50 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
My parents took their beds, dining room furniture and they didn't regret it. They have huge bedrooms.

But did they buy? If you rent you have no clue and move around with stuff that won't fit in most houses.

If you buy an apartment, sure take it all. I know loads of people who bought and did that. But don't do it if you rent, and OP said she is renting.

Honestly OP I'd buy new stuff here. Apartments here are teeny.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 1:01 pm
I have a $5,000 gorgeous couch that someone gave me for free (relative died). I really would love to bring it but maybe I am being stupid. It's a sectional and it's huge

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I have a $5,000 gorgeous couch that someone gave me for free (relative died). I really would love to bring it but maybe I am being stupid. It's a sectional and it's huge

Really deserve where you’re moving to.
I grew up in an “American” neighborhood and everyone had large homes and many many people had American furniture and appliances.
However, that is not standard, but your home in Israel might have a large living room but smaller bedrooms (probably not vice verse).
I think the previous poster who suggested to bring furniture if you’re buying and not to bring if you’re renting is really good advice.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 1:30 pm
You could get big appliances here.
Most bedrooms are designed for 90cm beds.
Get that squeegee for washing cars/windows. I haven’t found a good one here.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 1:33 pm
Ok. So I'm going to list what I for sure want to bring and please let me know your opinion:

A small 3 seater leather couch that is only 2 years old

2 wooden bookcases

7.5 foot buffet from my grandmother. Comes with 2 small glass and wood curios

Dining room table. Leaving my half broken chairs behind

A few judaica paintings.

What I'm not sure about:

A 39 inch high riser

Bring 1 twin bed from a child's room plus one 54 inch bed from my room

A gym quality rowing machine

All of my actual bedroom furniture, besides the beds, are second hand and I'm not taking.

The price difference between a partial and full lift is about $2000-$2500.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 1:34 pm
We are going to be renting in RBS at first. A 3-4 bedroom apartment and planning to buy an apartment in 1-2 years of a similar size.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 1:37 pm
Iymnok wrote:
You could get big appliances here.
Most bedrooms are designed for 90cm beds.
Get that squeegee for washing cars/windows. I haven’t found a good one here.

Are master bedrooms also designed for 90 cm beds?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions