Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Cbd for kids
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
Yes of course. Why?

Not be patronizing but you are amother so I couldn't take anything for granted. Which is why I'll also ask, and does your psychiatrist think that this is something to recommend without evaluating a child?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 2:47 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
We used CBD for two of my kids too. The psychiatrists were absolutely fine with it. CBD is not a drug! There's no THC in there, sheesh. OP we did not notice dramatic benefits as far as the ADHD went. Like, it seemed to help at first but not long lasting or dramatic. I think DC was on that (for ADHD) for maybe 6 months. It did help one of my children with headache pain and insomnia, and we use it occasionally on an as needed basis. It's dosed by weight, generally. Low doses should not have any drug interactions with prescriptions but higher doses might; a competent pharmacist could help with that question if it arises. The brand I used was NuLeaf oil, liquid dose so I could titrate the dose slowly. I did also try Endoca brand CBD chewing gum. There's a Facebook group that could provide you with more real-life experience of other parents if you are interested. It's called
"CBD For Health #CBD4ADHD"

So why do so many ads say not for under 21?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 2:50 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Also it's disappointing how unsupportive so many of these posts were. Ladies, don't we get enough judgment and not-benefit-of-the-doubt from everywhere else in our lives? Especially with kids who don't fit the norm? If you don't have experience with what OP asked, why respond? Nevermind, don't answer that.

I'm tremendously supportive. Kudos to everyone for acknowledging situations and trying to make them better. I just want to get clarity for myself, and maybe our OP too. And honestly, the other posters who don't have your experience, but do seem to have some experience with out of the box kids, these mothers who are asking questions and sharing their experiences - well, I've seen a LOT more unsupportive around here.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 3:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Not be patronizing but you are amother so I couldn't take anything for granted. Which is why I'll also ask, and does your psychiatrist think that this is something to recommend without evaluating a child?

I’m anon because I have friends who know I like this site and also know I use an integrative psychiatrist (not so common)
I never asked her about that- sounded fairly benign in the way she prescribed it. She first prescribed a spray oil that tasted absolutely disgusting so then she recommended procana gummies (my rabbi said ok. They are vegan)

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 3:20 pm
There are not regulatory controls on the THC content of CBD in order to properly trust that there isn't any in such products consistently. I would be wary of CBD products due to that.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
I’m anon because I have friends who know I like this site and also know I use an integrative psychiatrist (not so common)
I never asked her about that- sounded fairly benign in the way she prescribed it. She first prescribed a spray oil that tasted absolutely disgusting so then she recommended procana gummies (my rabbi said ok. They are vegan)

Cool. Thanks. I support a very generous interpretation of legit amother use but you definitely qualified, even before you explained. Obviously this is personal and sensitive but there's a lot we don't know about you as amother so I'll take the chance of patronizing so as to get things spelled out.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 7:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm tremendously supportive. Kudos to everyone for acknowledging situations and trying to make them better. I just want to get clarity for myself, and maybe our OP too. And honestly, the other posters who don't have your experience, but do seem to have some experience with out of the box kids, these mothers who are asking questions and sharing their experiences - well, I've seen a LOT more unsupportive around here.

True that! Guess I'm feeling extra sensitive today. Have gotten bashed a lot online recently (not on ima). And PinkF I enjoy your posts quite a bit FTR.
As for labeling or ads, I don't know, I don't see those ads. Generally most supplements have CYA statements on the label like 'consult your healthcare practitioner before use if you are pregnant' even if it's a prenatal product, for example.
The brands I utilize use 3rd party testing on their products to assess for label accuracy, presence of mycotoxins, metals, etc. and that's always a good sign if the product you're getting uses 3rd party testing.
Patients and caregivers look into things like CBD or other interventions besides medications particularly for ADHD bc as we all have probably experienced, many of the ADHD meds have side effects or don't work.
ETA: sorry my internet is fritzy so I don't know if this is going to post multiple times

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 7:20 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
True that! Guess I'm feeling extra sensitive today. Have gotten bashed a lot online recently (not on ima). And PinkF I enjoy your posts quite a bit FTR.
As for labeling or ads, I don't know, I don't see those ads. Generally most supplements have CYA statements on the label like 'consult your healthcare practitioner before use if you are pregnant' even if it's a prenatal product, for example.
The brands I utilize use 3rd party testing on their products to assess for label accuracy, presence of mycotoxins, metals, etc. and that's always a good sign if the product you're getting uses 3rd party testing.
Patients and caregivers look into things like CBD or other interventions besides medications particularly for ADHD bc as we all have probably experienced, many of the ADHD meds have side effects or don't work.
ETA: sorry my internet is fritzy so I don't know if this is going to post multiple times

I know some people who are open to CBD. I don't know if they use it themselves but they've tried to school me. Enough that I realize that there's a lot I don't know. I still have my reservations but I realize that there are people who are very informed who are making informed decisions. Such as yourself and I assume OP.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 10:15 am
Gotta love how parents are soooo wary of cbd, that it’s unregulated, that it may contain traces of thc, etc, but psychotropic drugs with pages and pages of known side effects are a-ok for kids of all ages. To be fair, I am not anti meds, there is a time and place for everything, but sheesh, the double standards.

To OP, I think cbd is a great option and no harm in trying it, just keep in mind that going the natural, alternative root, you can’t just throw a single supplement at a kid/disorder and expect it to work the same way as a drug. You are applying the allopathic model to alternative treatments and it doesn’t work that way. You will get much better results if you treat root causes, cbd may be one tool in your arsenal but it can’t be all of it.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 10:23 am
Just keep in mind that it’s not a miracle and doesn’t work for everyone (it did nothing for me and I tried many brands in many strengths and felt nothing)

And like zehava said- you can see how your child reacts and go from there. I have childcalm from zahlers at home- my teenage daughter took it and loved the way it made her feel while my 8 and 15 year old boys hated it- each person is different

ally

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 10:26 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
There are not regulatory controls on the THC content of CBD in order to properly trust that there isn't any in such products consistently. I would be wary of CBD products due to that.
mitzvahs.
There are also forms of CBD that can get you high.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Adhd for sure not...maybe add, again besides for normal kids tantrums every so often, and not having patience to sit by shabbos sueda I dont see anything. But being responsible I made an appointment to hear what a doctor thinks

Sounds like a typical child.
Did the teacher give specific examples of what she sees that leads her to believe he has add?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)