Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What’s the point of high school (girls)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next

small bean

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 3:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think the other school that was going to open was targeting a particular type.
Perhaps the 80 girls needing a school don't fit that particular box. And apparently there was not enough interest in their target audience.

But we definitely need more schools - of all types.

We really need more schools because the classes are way too big in the current schools. And there are way too many parallel classes. It's hard to reach every student like this.

I have another daughter next year and I feel like all the schools will be too big for her. I'm hoping another school opens or maybe for her I will be okay withe meiras, eventhough it's opening with more than 50 girls.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 3:27 pm
Bruria seems a bit different, based on the curriculum.

Would a Lakewood family send there?

small bean

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 3:48 pm
sequoia wrote:
Bruria seems a bit different, based on the curriculum.

Would a Lakewood family send there?

Many lakewood families go. Lakewood is a big place.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 3:55 pm
small bean wrote:

Many do. But many of the girls who were still noy accepted anywhere wouldn't go there

small bean

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 4:13 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Many do. But many of the girls who were still noy accepted anywhere wouldn't go there

Of course. Me included. I have no intention of sending my daughter out of town.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 4:15 pm
small bean wrote:

Okay.

I understand it’s not an MO school, but it does seem quite pro-Zionist.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 4:37 pm
Another problem with Bruria is that it's physically and emotionally draining to travel 3 hours a day for school.
And it's exhausting in a different way to board for high school.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 4:39 pm
sequoia wrote:
Okay.

I understand it’s not an MO school, but it does seem quite pro-Zionist.

That’s totally not the issue involved here. If the families lived in Washington heights they would probably have no problem sending there. It’s sending out of town when there are already 10 local high schools that’s the issue. It would involve 3 hours of traveling each day or having a young girl find a place to stay when she really just wants to be in her own home, living in her own neighborhood.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 4:51 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
It’s sending out of town when there are already 10 local high schools that’s the issue. It would involve 3 hours of traveling each day or having a young girl find a place to stay when she really just wants to be in her own home, living in her own neighborhood.

This.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DD is still not in a high School, don’t tell me it’s a numbers game that's why she is not in anywhere. If that is the case why did “Leah Fried” get in when non of her parents are from Lakewood and have nothing to do with the school, when this is the school I and my sister, not to mention my cousins and their kids went there. Why don’t they want my Daughter? Why can’t they give me a reason why they don’t want my DD?

Now I understand why high schools would have their big fundraiser before acceptance season. So people would send nice checks in hope of getting their DD in school. Afterwords the school would just get letters saying that we have no Hakours H’atov you did not take our kid.

I am starting to wonder why I am fighting to pay a few 1,000’s a year plus all the miscellaneous expenses that come along with having a girl in High School. I am sure I learned something in high school, now if I can remember what it was that would be nice. I don’t keep up with anyone from high school so it is not like I got friends for life.
So what is the point of high school?

PS in a very affluent neighborhood is looking mighty nice

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:03 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
PS in a very affluent neighborhood is looking mighty nice

Huh?

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:11 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
I don't know how far you're willing for her to travel, or how she would be there, but have you looked into Reenas in Edison? RW OOT type of school, certainly every student there is from a very frum family.

Most area schools feel that Lakewood has done this to themselves, and don’t want Lakewood students. This extends up and down the east coast in both directions.

I have a different problem. My rising 9th grader is going to the school her sister went to. I have a younger elementary school child though who is not accepted back for behavior issues. While the school promised they wouldn’t leave her without a school, they have changed their minds and her lack of school is not their problem. She doesn’t even know she’s in danger of not going to school at all next year, and I don’t have the heart to tell her yet.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:34 pm
small bean wrote:
OP my daughter and I have plans for things to do if she's not in school once school starts. We will have time while everyone else is in school. Like sixflags, just me and her. We should all meet up in september. Can be so much fun.

Small bean you sound like an awesome mother!
I'm not one of those who thought skipping high school was a good idea. I'm all for girls getting a good education and I hope your daughter gets into a hs that's a great fit for her. Meanwhile she's learning a great lesson from her mother without setting foot in school. Rejection happens to all of us at one point or another and how we deal with it makes a big difference in our lives. Just something for you to think about while you're flying down the dark knight coaster.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Most area schools feel that Lakewood has done this to themselves, and don’t want Lakewood students. This extends up and down the east coast in both directions.

I have a different problem. My rising 9th grader is going to the school her sister went to. I have a younger elementary school child though who is not accepted back for behavior issues. While the school promised they wouldn’t leave her without a school, they have changed their minds and her lack of school is not their problem. She doesn’t even know she’s in danger of not going to school at all next year, and I don’t have the heart to tell her yet.

The two BY schools in Baltimore have been welcoming lakewood girls without schools the last few years. Yes, they have to board.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:42 pm

How has lakewood done this to themselves?

1000s of families from outside lakewood move here yearly. I have friends who live in Florida snd they complain about 30 new families a year.

The streets are crowded. Real estate has become so expensive no one local can afford to buy. Families who started schools no longer get in.
The lkwd community didn’t ask for this.
What other community opens a new high school every year with 50+ incoming students?
The situation is out of control.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 5:58 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Huh?

PS = public school

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
How has lakewood done this to themselves?

1000s of families from outside lakewood move here yearly. I have friends who live in Florida snd they complain about 30 new families a year.

The streets are crowded. Real estate has become so expensive no one local can afford to buy. Families who started schools no longer get in.
The lkwd community didn’t ask for this.
What other community opens a new high school every year with 50+ incoming students?
The situation is out of control.

It isn’t me saying this. This is what other schools told me. “We don’t take Lakewood girls. Period.”

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 7:06 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
I actually think it's just under an hour, and all the local schools have teachers driving in from Lakewood daily. Boarding is probably also an option.

Also to be frank, many girls are on the school bus over an hour each way, so time wise it’s not that different....

My dd goes to elem in Lakewood and the drive there is about 30 mins. I live in Lakewood just other side of town.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 7:54 pm

Im so sorry. Do you have anyone helping you? Are the self contained classes an option for her?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 8:41 pm
Coming from the MO world I can never understand the Lakewood phenomenon of people not getting into schools. My DH works in admissions in a boys high school and at the end of admissions season all of the community schools get together and discuss all of the boys who didn't get into a School. They then all have to take some of the boys who didn't get in until every local boy has a school as the Rabbanim in the community have said that we cant just leave local kids without a school. Why can't Lakewood do something similar?
Page 4 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries