Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
15 month old doesn't babble or talk

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:18 pm
Has anyone had any experience?
This child makes no sounds other than eh, ah, oh . Basically vowels. But this DC is able to say the word mama, so I guess one word.

Receptive language is very high, can point to 5 or 6 body parts, follows directions, knows and turns to people when you ask where they are etc. Points at needs and wants.

But no babbling at all and only mama other than vowel sounds. No shaking of the head to indicate yes or no though it is likely because I rarely shake my head. Child copies what I do, is starting pretend play etc.

Has anyone experienced this?

bsy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:22 pm
please have your child evaluated. If he qualifies, you can start speech therapy. It's hard to make up for lost time at this age.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:24 pm
bsy wrote:
please have your child evaluated. If he qualifies, you can start speech therapy. It's hard to make up for lost time at this age.

Would such a young child qualify? I asked around and was told if the child's understanding is good they will qualify omly at 18 months

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:25 pm
If you are in the US you can get tested for early intervention. It's free. Take advantage of that! It may be they will say everything is OK, which will be a big relief. Or it may be they will say that your child qualifies for services- and hopefully that will be a relief also because then you child can get some help.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:25 pm
I would also recommend getting the child evaluated.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would such a young child qualify? I asked around and was told if the child's understanding is good they will qualify omly at 18 months

It's free if you are in the US to get an evaluation. There is nothing to lose at all. You wont know what they qualify for until you get them evaluated.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:28 pm
Thank you all.
I know I can get the evaluation.

I am looking more for people who may have experienced this before with their child. High receptive language with almost no expressive.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:38 pm
My DD was like that at 15 months. Im pretty chilled about these things but I kept hearing from so many friends "get her evaluated, right away!
At her checkup I discussed it with the pediatrician and she told me as long as she was understanding everything and making eye contact, smiling...not to worry until age 2.
Bh, fast forward 5 months and she is more verbal than any of my previous kids at this age. It's like all these words were locked in her brain and once she started to talk they all came tumbling out.

I think people are so quick nowadays to run for evaluations for everything, but the medical doctors don't necessarily see the "rush".
(I am obviously not referring to serious problems)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My DD was like that at 15 months. Im pretty chilled about these things but I kept hearing from so many friends "get her evaluated, right away!
At her checkup I discussed it with the pediatrician and she told me as long as she was understanding everything and making eye contact, smiling...not to worry until age 2.
Bh, fast forward 5 months and she is more verbal than any of my previous kids at this age. It's like all these words were locked in her brain and once she started to talk they all came tumbling out.

I think people are so quick nowadays to run for evaluations for everything, but the medical doctors don't necessarily see the "rush".

Thank you. Of course it is up to hashem but bh DC is like this too. Understands everything and follows along. I was told with a previous child under 18 months they won't give services if no other delay and receptive bh good

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:43 pm
The thing with evaluating early is you have to wait a certain amount of time to retest if you don't qualify yet. I think I would wait until 18 months personally. Or start setting it up at 17 months.

bsy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:44 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Its wonderful to be chilled. I'm serious. But in the event there IS a real issue, it's silly and painful to lose out on precious time. A few months of speech therapy won't harm a child. If the child was really going to develop independently, he will do so even with therapy and then won't need therapy anymore. But if the child is really delayed and needs help, why lose out on time that could have been spent helping the child?!

bsy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm not certain, but any ei agency can answer based on their experience. I always learned the child needs to be at least 2 milestones behind. First word should be 12 months but babbling is like 6 to 8 months.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:47 pm
bsy wrote:
Its wonderful to be chilled. I'm serious. But in the event there IS a real issue, it's silly and painful to lose out on precious time. A few months of speech therapy won't harm a child. If the child was really going to develop independently, he will do so even with therapy and then won't need therapy anymore. But if the child is really delayed and needs help, why lose out on time that could have been spent helping the child?!

The problem is that if they wont give speech under 18 months unless the child has a syndrome, delayed receptive or social skills, there is no reason to go through it and them wait a mandated amount of time before retesting should it still be necessary. The wait time is possibly 6 months? I'm not sure.
I appreciate your input lots! I am just trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

Bh I know what to look out for and this is an expressive language case

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:48 pm
bsy wrote:
I'm not certain, but any ei agency can answer based on their experience. I always learned the child needs to be at least 2 milestones behind. First word should be 12 months but babbling is like 6 to 8 months.

Okay I will call and see. Thank you!

Still looking for others with experience

bsy

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The problem is that if they wont give speech under 18 months unless the child has a syndrome, delayed receptive or social skills, there is no reason to go through it and them wait a mandated amount of time before retesting should it still be necessary. The wait time is possibly 6 months? I'm not sure.
I appreciate your input lots! I am just trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

Bh I know what to look out for and this is an expressive language case

Ask an ei agency, as I am not well versed in their rules and regulations.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:10 am
My son was like this. The not talking didn't scare me, it was the not babbling that concerned me. He would grunt. I may have waited until 18 months, but bottom line 6 months of speech therapy and he was talking full sentences.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics