Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How to cure this rash? Updated with pics on page 3
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 9:22 pm
*It is definitely possible to develop allergies at any time, even if the food was tolerated before.
*Tests for allergies are often inaccurate in very young children.
*Sometimes an allergy doesn't show up on tests. My DC tested negative for a certain food multiple times but I kept insisting that the test was wrong. DC is extremely allergic to that food group, it's literally banned from my house due to airborne and contact reactions.
*Is it possible your child is having an airborne reaction? Like are you maybe preparing eggs and then notice a flare-up?
*Maybe stop all solids and dairy/soy formula for a couple of weeks and see if there's any relief. If there is, you know that there's a food issue. If everything stays the same, obviously something else is causing this rash.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 9:27 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
*It is definitely possible to develop allergies at any time, even if the food was tolerated before.
*Tests for allergies are often inaccurate in very young children.
*Sometimes an allergy doesn't show up on tests. My DC tested negative for a certain food multiple times but I kept insisting that the test was wrong. DC is extremely allergic to that food group, it's literally banned from my house due to airborne and contact reactions.
*Is it possible your child is having an airborne reaction? Like are you maybe preparing eggs and then notice a flare-up?
*Maybe stop all solids and dairy/soy formula for a couple of weeks and see if there's any relief. If there is, you know that there's a food issue. If everything stays the same, obviously something else is causing this rash.

Would an airborne reaction happen suddenly at 5/6 months? And simultaneously when starting solids for the first time? I don’t really notice flare ups because it’s always really red and looks bad. Especially when he wakes up after a nap or in the morning because he’s been rubbing is face against the sheet in his crib to itch it.

How can I stop all solids and formula? What would he eat?

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would an airborne reaction happen suddenly at 5/6 months? And simultaneously when starting solids for the first time? I don’t really notice flare ups because it’s always really red and looks bad. Especially when he wakes up after a nap or in the morning because he’s been rubbing is face against the sheet in his crib to itch it.

How can I stop all solids and formula? What would he eat?

Yes, any allergy can happen suddenly. But you keep saying that this started when he started eating solids, including carrots, and you're still giving him carrots. You mentioned that he tested negative but it may have been a false result. My child was allergic to carrots and I know of quite a few more people who are highly allergic to carrots, some of them can't even be near carrots.
There are a few different brands of formula that are free of soy and dairy. Neocate, Elecare, alimentum (I think) and at least 1 more.
If you can get someone to explain how to post a picture, it might be helpful to see the rash.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He hasn’t gotten “eczema” or this rash that has excematic features, as the dr says, until we started food so I’m hoping it will disappear once we stop food

What I mean is that once you've stopped the offending food, it can still take a few weeks to clear.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:33 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
Yes, any allergy can happen suddenly. But you keep saying that this started when he started eating solids, including carrots, and you're still giving him carrots. You mentioned that he tested negative but it may have been a false result. My child was allergic to carrots and I know of quite a few more people who are highly allergic to carrots, some of them can't even be near carrots.
There are a few different brands of formula that are free of soy and dairy. Neocate, Elecare, alimentum (I think) and at least 1 more.
If you can get someone to explain how to post a picture, it might be helpful to see the rash.

Testing this out to see if it works

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:37 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]Testing this out to see if it works

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:38 pm
Op I fixed it for you.
Once you get the link you paste it to the post image box. And that smile is precious!
I hope experienced mommies can help you figure out the rash.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:44 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
Op I fixed it for you.
Once you get the link you paste it to the post image box. And that smile is precious!
I hope experienced mommies can help you figure out the rash.

Can you please delete ur post? I need to upload without the other images on the bottom of his whole face.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:47 pm
Is it possibly a fungus?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:51 pm

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 10:54 pm
[quote="amother [ Alyssum

Please delete

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 26 2021, 11:14 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Is it possibly a fungus?

Idk. The allergist told me it’s bacterial but either way he was on a course of antibiotics because it got infected but the rash didn’t improve

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Idk. The allergist told me it’s bacterial but either way he was on a course of antibiotics because it got infected but the rash didn’t improve

Topical antibiotics? And oral antibiotics that cover a skin infection?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:19 am
Are you still taking the hydrocortisone cream or not ?

Also contrary to popular belief a reaction to detergent or Any contact allergy would not necessarily affect the whole body or where his clothes are. The skin near the mouth is thin and that’s where it’ll often happen .

I still think you should ask your doc about perioral dermatitis especially since your child was on topical steroids

losingweight

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:24 am
can your pediatrician culture the skin to determine what it is? If its's a bacteria, get the exact name of it so you can give the correct medicine. Someone I know had a terrible rash that was strep! Was cultured after months of misery. Btw, his smile is precious!!

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:42 am
Thank you for posting photo. Definitely ask your docs to consider candida (fungal) w/that redness and what looks like satellite lesions (typical candida spread). They need to take a scraping and check the source of the infection.
Mupirocin is anti bacterial, not antifungal FYI

Ma3

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m starting off by saying that I’ve taken my baby to his primary care doctor, four visits to an allergist, and two visits to a dermatologist.

At 5 months old my baby developed a rash on his face that the doctor said was eczema that was aggravated by drool as he was teething pretty badly. He then started eating solids like sweet potato, carrots etc. Within a few days it progressed to a pretty bad rash so my doctor said I should take him to an allergist. The allergist did some skin tests based on the foods he was eating at the time (it wasn’t much because he was only 6 months) and it came out that he’s allergic to eggs and tree nuts, both of which he’s never had. He did test slightly positive for cows milk, but since he’s been on a dairy formula since birth with zero issues, she wasn’t concerned but said to avoid yogurt and dairy foods. She prescribed mupirocin and hydrocortisone. my baby continued to be crazy itchy and miserable so I brought him back to the allergist since the rash wasn’t getting better and was only getting worse. She gave him antibiotics because she said the rash got infected. She also told me not to be feeding him new foods which I haven’t been doing anyway. She said I should continue just with the mupirocin so I did. The rash didn’t get better at all and my baby has been miserable ever since. She told me that there’s not much more for her to do since he’s not allergic to any foods he was eating and I should take him to see a dermatologist as it’s not allergy related. the dermatologist prescribed 2.5 hydrocortisone but said he doesn’t know what’s causing the rash. He said it has “excematic features” but is not typical excema because it’s only on his face and nowhere on his body which rules out detergent, environmental etc. My poor baby is miserable and super itchy. I only use non fragranced shampoo. He’s had bleach baths with no improvement. Even the hydrocortisone isn’t working and it’s such a high percentage for a baby.
Aside from the rash he has no other symptoms, like vomiting, diarrhea etc.
any ideas what could be causing it??

You can PM me and I can give you a number for a doctor that helped with my allergic, eczema kid when allergist/dermatologist wasn't helpful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
Topical antibiotics? And oral antibiotics that cover a skin infection?

He was on oral antibiotics and also mupirocin

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:11 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Are you still taking the hydrocortisone cream or not ?

Also contrary to popular belief a reaction to detergent or Any contact allergy would not necessarily affect the whole body or where his clothes are. The skin near the mouth is thin and that’s where it’ll often happen .

I still think you should ask your doc about perioral dermatitis especially since your child was on topical steroids

That’s interesting. The doctor specifically said it’s not detergent because then would be everywhere. I will be taking him to pediatrician to discuss taking him off food and will mention perioral dermatitis to him, but I only did 1% hydrocortisone mixed with mupirocin for two weeks and then stopped. I then had a few week break before the derm prescribed the 2.5% for four nights a week for two weeks and then three nights a week for two weeks. I stopped after the second week since there was no improvement and he hasn’t been on hydrocortisone for a week now

I will be switching to a free and clear detergent anyway just in case

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:14 am
losingweight wrote:
can your pediatrician culture the skin to determine what it is? If its's a bacteria, get the exact name of it so you can give the correct medicine. Someone I know had a terrible rash that was strep! Was cultured after months of misery. Btw, his smile is precious!!

I will be making an appointment with him and will ask him to culture it. Thanks
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics