Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Comparative Monsey schools to Bnos Chaya of BP
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:01 pm
Hello fellow imamothers

I am currently living in Boro Park and send my 3 dds to Bnos Chaya, with the oldest going into 4th grade and the youngest into kindergarten (not writing middle dd age so that I'm not easily identifiable) . I am considering moving to Monsey for September 2022. The problem is, I love my children's school dearly and I'm so happy there. Thus the question for Monsey moms, what school in Monsey would compare to where in sending now? We are middle of the road, non affiliated chassidish. I wear a wig and inch or two past my shoulders, black tights, drive, went to college. My husband wears a short sleeve polo during the week (he works in the construction industry), shtreimel bekitche shabbos, krazeldiga peyos. Both my husband and I have filtered smart phones for work. We have an alternate basic phone as well. I hope this provided a somewhat idea of the kind of people we are.
If anyone would be able to let me know of schools that might be a good fit for me and my family style, I would appreciate it.
Thanks all.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:03 pm
BDY or Munkatch are most similar to Bnos Chaya and in line with how you're describing yourself.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:06 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
BDY or Munkatch are most similar to Bnos Chaya and in line with how you're describing yourself.

Agree. Bais shifra Miriam’s first question when applying is whether you drive and if yes they don’t accept. Otherwise it may have been an option.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:13 pm

I honestly don't want to stir up anything controversial, but from the basic research I did it seems like Munkatch is less chassidish/stringent than we are and bdy even less. Kesser BY sounded like the best fit but they only have till incoming 2nd grade. Can anybody weigh in on the difference between Bais Shifra Miriam, Kesser Bais Yakov, Munkatch and BDY?

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I honestly don't want to stir up anything controversial, but from the basic research I did it seems like Munkatch is less chassidish/stringent than we are and bdy even less. Kesser BY sounded like the best fit but they only have till incoming 2nd grade. Can anybody weigh in on the difference between Bais Shifra Miriam, Kesser Bais Yakov, Munkatch and BDY?

BDY is very very similar to Bnos Chaya. You won't find any other school that's so similar to Bnos Chaya. BDY is stricter than Munkatch. They have a very good name out by now.
If you drive and wear longer wigs, you won't get into mainstream chassidish schools.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There is no school in Monsey that compares to neutral chassidish school in BP. Why? Because in BP there is a crowd that doesn’t exist in Monsey.
BSM has shifted to the right. I went to BSM and my girls are there. Since I’m part of the old crowd, old Monsey, I drive. Not the newcomers.
Kesser is more torahdig families. Simplicity is a good thing.
I don’t know munkatch.
BDY, lots of ppl are happy there. I know a few ppl who send over there, middle of the way.
There is no perfect school.
Would you consider Lakewood? My middle of the road chassidish cousins are very happy there. They did not find their place in Monsey.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:11 pm
I came in here to say bdy but I see other people got here first

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:33 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
There is no school in Monsey that compares to neutral chassidish school in BP. Why? Because in BP there is a crowd that doesn’t exist in Monsey.
BSM has shifted to the right. I went to BSM and my girls are there. Since I’m part of the old crowd, old Monsey, I drive. Not the newcomers.
I don’t know munkatch.
BDY, lots of ppl are happy there. I know a few ppl who send over there, middle of the way.
Would you consider Lakewood? My middle of the road chassidish cousins are very happy there. They did not find their place in Monsey.

So it seemed that BSM was the perfect fit for me till I heard about the new no driving policy. If kesser is simple, then that's great, I'm the kind of gal that shops gap sale, kidichic, the most expensive thing my kids own are their school shoes. We are extremely simple non designer kind of family.
From the people that I know that send to BDY, they seem to be more 'modern' for the lack of better wording. Lakewood is not an option for me because I have no family there, is farther than Monsey, the weather in Monsey is nicer (less humidity) and my husbands often travels to Monsey, Monroe, the Catskills for work, making Monsey an all around great option.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So it seemed that BSM was the perfect fit for me till I heard about the new no driving policy. If kesser is simple, then that's great, I'm the kind of gal that shops gap sale, kidichic, the most expensive thing my kids own are their school shoes. We are extremely simple non designer kind of family.
From the people that I know that send to BDY, they seem to be more 'modern' for the lack of better wording. Lakewood is not an option for me because I have no family there, is farther than Monsey, the weather in Monsey is nicer (less humidity) and my husbands often travels to Monsey, Monroe, the Catskills for work, making Monsey an all around great option.

I know about 8-10 women who send their kids to BDY. All ehrlich,frum and not modern at all. Back in the day there were some ex chasidim that sent there , when the school just started but over the years the parent body changed. It’s my first choice if looking for a neutral Chasidish school for my own daughter .

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
I don’t know munkatch.

This.
So many of us wish there would be.
OP maybe apply to BSM anyway and explain that you’re an old timer driver too.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There are plenty of what you call "modern" parents in Bnos Chaya. It's mamish the same parent body as BDY. It's literally the same type of school. For some odd reason, BDY has a bad name in Brooklyn. I've heard some pretty weird things that Brooklyn people have to say about BDY.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:48 pm
There are plenty of what you call "modern" parents in Bnos Chaya. It's mamish the same parent body as BDY. It's literally the same type of school. For some odd reason, BDY has a bad name in Brooklyn. I've heard some pretty weird things that Brooklyn people have to say about BDY.

The “name” is the same in monsey.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:

That's what I thought. I've been hearing this from people that love in Monsey. I've been told Munkatch is a bit more chassidish but the people I know that send to BDY and Munkatch look the same to me. If there's anybody that can tell me what the differences are I'd appreciate it.

amother
Magnolia

Nope, not anymore. If something, only between the real narrow minded farfrumt that can't stand such a school. They've really built their name lately.

amother
DarkViolet

amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's what I thought. I've been hearing this from people that love in Monsey. I've been told Munkatch is a bit more chassidish but the people I know that send to BDY and Munkatch look the same to me. If there's anybody that can tell me what the differences are I'd appreciate it.

There isn’t much of a difference.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

BDY is more strict with rules than Munkatch. People switched from BDY to Munkatch because BDY became too strict for them. But overall, the parent body is basically the same.
As a side point, Munkatch tuition is higher than other chassidish schools.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:57 pm
This.
So many of us wish there would be.
OP maybe apply to BSM anyway and explain that you’re an old timer driver too.

So where do these "so many" land up? Because that's exactly what I need it seems.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:57 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I know about 8-10 women who send their kids to BDY. All ehrlich,frum and not modern at all. Back in the day there were some ex chasidim that sent there , when the school just started but over the years the parent body changed. It’s my first choice if looking for a neutral Chasidish school for my own daughter .

The problem is that Monsey is full of yonchees ( not clothing, mentality) who are very vocal about others who originally come from very chassidish homes , however they are now middle of the way.
BDY opened to serve that crowd. Ppl from skever/viznitz/satmar who were middle of the way went to BDY. They are still frum and normal chassidish.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 3:01 pm
I live in Monsey and BDY is definitely more regulated and structured.

I think BDY would be a better fit for your daughters

guest2

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 3:06 pm
Kesser will not take you if you have a smartphone
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics