Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Detroit - Bais Yehuda vs Darchei Torah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:01 pm
I understand that the parent body is fairly similar in both schools. How does it differ? What are strong points of each school? Why would you choose one over the other?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:18 pm
Well it depends what’s important to you.
YBY is an older, more established school. (That’s not a major knock at YDT- the oldest graduating class of darchei is probably 37 now). It has bigger classes and the funding for new building, new classes and extracurricular activities and such. However, YBY does not have a monolithic parent body. Girls from this year’s graduating class are going everywhere from Sharfman’s to BJJ. Every wave of new parents from Lakewood and Monsey bring the school more to the right, but the locals are already there and some of them chafe at the new rules. YDT has more of a very yeshivish parent body with a bunch of newer Baal Teshuva parents. The high school is maybe 25-30 kids. They are very academic, with strict structure, and there isn’t much place for kids who are different or have learning disabilities.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:22 pm
In short, both schools are nice. The hanhala of both schools genuinely care about kids. If there are special needs or learning issues, definitely pick YBY over Darchei. Otherwise, it depends what your list of needs and wants are. If you have boys, after 8th grade, most of the boys from both schools go to the local yeshiva gedola, so the kids will be together eventually.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:56 pm
There is a new program in town designed to help kids in all schools. I hope YDT kids are benefiting from it.

Both schools are preschool - 12 for girls and - 8 for boys. It's great to have kids in one school, one administration, one tuition committee. You might find that you like one more for your girls and the other for your boys.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:00 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
but the locals are already there and some of them chafe at the new rules. .

Are there more "rules" in either of the schools?

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What are the differences in
technology
dressing outside of school
mothers dressing in and out of school?

I'm done with schools. YDT had the name as the no TV school. Besides that what rules are there?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
What are the differences in
technology
dressing outside of school
mothers dressing in and out of school?

I'm done with schools. YDT had the name as the no TV school. Besides that what rules are there?

YBY has a no TV rule at this point. Not everyone follows it, but it’s there along with no radios, smartwatches or phones. Both schools officially expect everyone to follow the same school guidelines Lakewood schools have in and out of school. YBY don’t have so many rules about mothers out of school. I don’t think they are makpid beyond how a mother shows up at schools.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Some people thrive on rules. The new people moving to town want both schools to mirror in town rules. Detroit is not Lakewood. The locals don’t really appreciate the push. They’re coming anyway, since a good portion of the new hanhala is from in town. But it seems poor taste to import in town to the Midwest.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:53 pm
Some people thrive on rules. The new people moving to town want both schools to mirror in town rules. Detroit is not Lakewood. The locals don’t really appreciate the push. They’re coming anyway, since a good portion of the new hanhala is from in town. But it seems poor taste to import in town to the Midwest.

I'm a former parent. We had no problems with the rules but we're somewhat yeshivish. I don't knw how things have changed the last few years.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:55 pm
I'm a former parent. We had no problems with the rules but we're somewhat yeshivish. I don't knw how things have changed the last few years.

I’m a former parent as well. I never had a problem with the rules, but I knew plenty of people who agonized over of them. I had enough kids in enough grades to hear just about everything. Some even switched their kids to Farber.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:00 pm
Well it depends what’s important to you. … The high school is maybe 25-30 kids. They are very academic, with strict structure, and there isn’t much place for kids who are different or have learning disabilities.

YDT high school has around 50 girls in the high school.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:01 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
YDT high school has around 50 girls in the high school.

My bad. That’s still around 12-13 kids per grade. As opposed to 40ish per grade in YBY.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:02 pm
Huh? We're a parent and I have never heard of these rules. I have several neighbors in the school with TV and pretty much everyone I know has regular internet. Definitely some principals have smartphones. I really hate this focus on externals and wish everyone would just appreciate each other's qualities. (Btw when my husband went to the school he had a couple classmates who didn't keep kosher at home. It moved a lot to the right since then)

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:05 pm
My bad. That’s still around 12-13 kids per grade. As opposed to 40ish per grade in YBY.

12 kids in a class is still considered a smaller class in YDT. But the incoming 9th grade has over 20 girls. Definitely smaller classes in YDT and only 1 or 2 grades have parallel classes.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
Huh? We're a parent and I have never heard of these rules. I have several neighbors in the school with TV and pretty much everyone I know has regular internet. Definitely some principals have smartphones. I really hate this focus on externals and wish everyone would just appreciate each other's qualities. (Btw when my husband went to the school he had a couple classmates who didn't keep kosher at home. It moved a lot to the right since then)

The rules about TV are in the handbook. Not everyone follows them. The smartphone rules are only for students. The internet rules in the handbook suggest TAG filtering. I went to YBY as a kid and it went from no tv on a school night to this. And I had a not yet frum girl in my class as well.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:11 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:

I hope parents are careful and have filters. In my time there were regular mandated gatherings talking about technology. I remember a RY who said he'd loved to just ban it all but knows it's not possible so sit back and learn how to be responsible.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:12 pm
The rules about TV are in the handbook. Not everyone follows them. The smartphone rules are only for students. The internet rules in the handbook suggest TAG filtering. I went to YBY as a kid and it went from no tv on a school night to this. And I had a not yet frum girl in my class as well.

Yes, my kids time was no TV on a school night. Not an issue for us.
My understanding is that TAG will NOT work on a smartphone for kids in high school or younger. That means kids need to get kosher phones.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 3:12 pm
I hope parents are careful and have filters. In my time there were regular mandated gatherings talking about technology. I remember a RY who said he'd loved to just ban it all but knows it's not possible so sit back and learn how to be responsible.

There still are. Maybe not mandated. The uninterested parties don’t come. Or care.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics