Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Fast metabolism diet and vacation

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 7:26 pm
Has anyone on this diet it done it over vacation? I’m going on a road trip and thinking of how to keep off the weight I lost without being on such a strict diet. Right now I’m thinking of allowing dairy, corn, whole wheat, meats and deli that aren’t on the plan and not being super careful about sauces, but staying completely off junk food. We’re doing a ton of walking, hiking and biking everyday so I can’t really be off carbs and I need easy breakfast/lunches like cheese and corn thins. We’re BBQing every night so I can’t be too strict about that either.
What are your thoughts?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 10:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone on this diet it done it over vacation? I’m going on a road trip and thinking of how to keep off the weight I lost without being on such a strict diet. Right now I’m thinking of allowing dairy, corn, whole wheat, meats and deli that aren’t on the plan and not being super careful about sauces, but staying completely off junk food. We’re doing a ton of walking, hiking and biking everyday so I can’t really be off carbs and I need easy breakfast/lunches like cheese and corn thins. We’re BBQing every night so I can’t be too strict about that either.
What are your thoughts?

I’m just curious as to why you think you need carbs to be active? Unless you are needing to sprint competitively, there’s no reason you ‘need’ them.

Basically, endurance activities are just fine on low carb and even for people who do ( let’s say) marathons to finish but not trying to win. I’m pretty sure that ‘ a lot of walking around, hiking and biking isn’t really enough to cause a ‘bonk’ in a tourism setting.

Do what works for you but make sure you make decisions for the right reasons.

As an example: our favourite Shabbat walk is nearly ten miles long. Even if I did a ten mile race, since I’m not even close to being at a pace I could win, fat as the fuel substrate my body would use would pretty much provide endless energy given how much of it I have.

If I was working hard to improve my times, then there would be a possibility that replenished glycogen ( if the race was over four hours) could make a difference, but since it takes me less than four hours to walk the ten miles, what I’d have at the beginning would be enough to get me through even if I are not before I started the race because of gluconeogenesis. Our bodies always make enough glycogen out of What we eat initially.

If I ate immediately before the race or during the race, a) the food would not actually have time to digest and become glycogen and b) the actual amount a person would eat in a long race ( think marathon over four hours, iron man) is about 30-60 g per hour of carbohydrate and it would pretty much need to be eaten constantly every 15 minutes not to overwhelm the digestive system. I have a friend who does ultra marathons with a beer at mile 80 ( doing 100 miles is nuts) and there have been numerous documented completions of ultra races with out using carbs.

Tons of walking is definitely not the same as what I’m saying here. I’m addressing this because you mentioned it specifically and if it concerns you, then don’t do it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 12:21 pm
I get weak very quickly without carbs. On this diet, I’ve noticed the no carb days I have a lot less energy.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 2:19 pm
I don't know much about the diet you're on, but rice/corn cakes seem to be a diet food. Also oatmeal (you can do instant and all you'll need is hot water). You mentioned grilling for supper. I don't eat meat right now and when we bar b-que, I throw on some chicken cutlets on the grill. You can have that instead of meat.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get weak very quickly without carbs. On this diet, I’ve noticed the no carb days I have a lot less energy.

People who do low carb consistently find that that evens out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 4:10 pm
andrea levy wrote:
People who do low carb consistently find that that evens out.

I know... I’m on the diet just to lose my baby weight. It’s pretty strict in terms of what days you can eat specific foods. It’s not consistently low carb. It’s just two days a week. I think I’m just going to stick to foods allowed on the diet mostly and skip the phases. I say mostly because I’m planning on allowing foods like corn and dairy which aren’t really allowed. Even if I don’t lose this week, as long as I don’t gain it’s ok.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know... I’m on the diet just to lose my baby weight. It’s pretty strict in terms of what days you can eat specific foods. It’s not consistently low carb. It’s just two days a week. I think I’m just going to stick to foods allowed on the diet mostly and skip the phases. I say mostly because I’m planning on allowing foods like corn and dairy which aren’t really allowed. Even if I don’t lose this week, as long as I don’t gain it’s ok.

In my experience, you have to do what is sustainable for you. There are simple answers and there are complicated answers but ultimately no one can really tell you what works for you. Only you know. The truck is being honest with yourself about what works and doesn’t.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise