Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Working remotely- erev yom tov at in laws

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 9:52 pm
So the Yom Tov season will soon be upon us and DH and I are trying to figure out where to spend Yom Tov. We live on the East Coast and relatively close to my parents, while DH's family is in the Midwest.

Right now, we're thinking of flying to my inlaws for the first days which are on a Tuesday and Wednesday this year Banging head . The glitch is that I can't take off Monday, so we would fly on Sunday and I would need to work remotely.

How do I do this? My inlaws house will be a zoo... not a conducive work environment.

Is there a way to make this work? If not I don't think we'll be going to them at all.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 9:54 pm
Could you close the door to the room you will be sleeping , keep it locked and work there, until you are finished working?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 9:57 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Could you close the door to the room you will be sleeping , keep it locked and work there, until you are finished working?

It's going to be very very noisy. Too many married couples and kids and not enough rooms..

A lot of my job is making phone calls.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's going to be very very noisy. Too many married couples and kids and not enough rooms..

A lot of my job is making phone calls.

Can you find a we work near them? Or any other shared work space? I hear hotels have daily (not overnight) rates for this purpose

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:02 pm
Maybe you can work in the car or find a Starbucks or hotel lounge in the area.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:06 pm
Is there a car you can use?

Some public library’s have private rooms that you can rent for a few hours at a time, is that an option were your In-Laws live?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:06 pm
Someone once asked if they could use my house for this purpose. We were going away for Yom Tov and she and her husband needed a place to work (but then COVID hit)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:08 pm
Bring a noise canceling headset and lock yourself into the sukkah.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:10 pm
None on your in laws work? can you borrow there office space? maybe a neighbors basement? shul?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:12 pm
I’d see if you can rent a room somewhere. Many hotels offer this in addition to the traditional coworking spaces (if you go the coworking space, make sure you’re getting a private room not a desk in an open area if you need the phone). You can call up hotels near them, or try a site like dayuse.com.

You can also ask your in-laws to ask around to see if any of their friends can let you borrow a quiet room.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
Maybe you can work in the car or find a Starbucks or hotel lounge in the area.

The car is a good idea, thank you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:56 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I’d see if you can rent a room somewhere. Many hotels offer this in addition to the traditional coworking spaces (if you go the coworking space, make sure you’re getting a private room not a desk in an open area if you need the phone). You can call up hotels near them, or try a site like dayuse.com.

You can also ask your in-laws to ask around to see if any of their friends can let you borrow a quiet room.

Thanks for this idea! dayuse.com didn't have anything too close by. I might try calling up hotels nearby though would really not want to spend extra $$.

Inlaws are not going to be helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics