Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Granite Tiles Conundrum, WWYD?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 1:37 am
I located a store in Brooklyn that can get granite tiles for me.

He has a few samples of granite tiles in his showroom.

The thing with granite tiles is that the colors can vary a lot from one lot to another, so I asked for samples of the current lot.

Im deciding between 2 colors of granite.

Store owner says this supplier doesnt offer samples, Id have to order a whole box of tiles for $130 and pay $30 shipping, bringing the total to $160. Then when I see the tiles, if I dont like the tiles Im stuck with the box, he cant return it.

Being that

1-Hes the only place in Brooklyn that can get granite tiles in colors other than black,

2-I read on another thread how porcelain tiles can scratch and chip, and may not be made as well now as they used to be, Im more determined than ever to get granite tiles.

WWYD?

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 2:44 am
How much do the colors vary from lot to lot? Enough for you to care if your floor is covered with tiles from lot A vs lot B?

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 2:54 am
I'm sure there are stores in Manhattan and Staten Island (and other places) that sell granite tile. Why not use a different supplier?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 6:24 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I'm sure there are stores in Manhattan and Staten Island (and other places) that sell granite tile. Why not use a different supplier?

Trust me, definitely not. Granite places on the east coast only do countertops now and cant get granite tiles. After looking for many months, this is the only place on the east coast that can get granite tiles in a color other than black.

There are places on the west coast, but shipping prices are very high. Granite tiles weigh a ton.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 10:14 am
b u m p

If anyone knows how to locate dealers in or near NY/NJ who sell granite tiles (not counters or slabs) please let me know. They seem to be very rare these days on the east coast, and for some reason are plentiful on the west coast (but hard and expensive to ship to NY).

iluvy

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 10:46 am
Not sure if you mean specifically granite or natural stone in general, but I got marble tiles from Artistic Tile. I went to their Manhattan location

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 11:55 am
iluvy wrote:
Not sure if you mean specifically granite or natural stone in general, but I got marble tiles from Artistic Tile. I went to their Manhattan location

Thanks.

From what I hear granite needs almost no maintenance (unlike marble).

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 12:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.

From what I hear granite needs almost no maintenance (unlike marble).

That isn't necessarily true as some granites do require maintenance periodically.

Maintenance for marble is really over stated in my experience. Think of European cities in which there has been marble for hundreds and even thousands of years.

Marble is easily maintained. If need be, you hire someone to polish it and clean the grout as necessary. It's really not that much of an issue. I know people with marble floors and they have no issues. I have marble marble tile floors and marble counters in my master bath and have no issues.

I am not even understanding what you will gain from looking at a box. Once you order you need to make sure that they are all from the same lot anyway.

If absolutely no one is carrying granite tiles, perhaps there is a reason for it. At one time they were used as a cheap way to get a granite counter but almost no one wants anything other than a solid surface counter in any material at this point which is why granite tiles are such a rare thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics