Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Guests may bring the SAME dessert
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 6:21 pm
One guest just brought over a delicious looking, but commonly made cake. Now , I am concerned that the other guests will bring that too because the other said that she is bringing dessert and she has made this cake in the past.
1- what do I do if they both bring the same exact cake? both asked what they could bring but they did not specify.
2- how can I word it next time so does not happen again?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 6:25 pm
Blindfold them both and play guess who's cake you're tasting.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 6:26 pm
1. Thank them both lavishly and serve the cakes in alternating slices on one platter.
2. "Please tell me what type of cake you plan to bring so I can ask the others to bring something else."

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 6:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One guest just brought over a delicious looking, but commonly made cake. Now , I am concerned that the other guests will bring that too because the other said that she is bringing dessert and she has made this cake in the past.
1- what do I do if they both bring the same exact cake? both asked what they could bring but they did not specify.
2- how can I word it next time so does not happen again?

Are you joking? It’s not your business to tell them which dessert to bring. What’s the tragedy if there’s 2?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 7:16 pm
In the future, if the guests know each other, you can ask them to coordinate since they're both making dessert.

For this week, it's too close to Shabbos to make any changes. If they really do bring the same cake, just say "Great minds think alike!" and serve both.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 7:20 pm
I have this fear also. Either ill tell them to bring something specific (one should bring ice cream or cake and the other candy or fruit) or I freak out that I forgot to say anything.
If they bring the same cake you will just have to give everyone 2 slices!

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 7:29 pm
Serve them both. Buy some berries to add on top. Enjoy the delicious cake.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 7:37 pm
Place both cakes on the table, and let guests sample both. Laugh about the fact that both had the same great idea.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 8:55 pm
How about this: cut each cake in half horizontally. spread any flavor of jam or icing on top of the bottom layer of Cake #1; cover with the bottom layer of Cake #2. Spread the same or a different flavor of jam or icing on top of that layer; cover with the top half of Cake #1. Add one last layer of filling, top with the top half of Cake #2. Slice into very thin slices (it's double height, after all) and serve.

Why are you borrowing trouble? Just because "everyone" bakes chocolate cake doesn't mean that both guests will bring chocolate cake. There are shmillions of other kinds of cake that people make all the time.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 8:56 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Are you joking? It’s not your business to tell them which dessert to bring. What’s the tragedy if there’s 2?

She didn't write it's a tragedy. She's asking what other ppl do in this situation.
Not a nice way to respond.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 9:15 pm
I had a few relatives staying over for Yom Tov and all three of us prepared the exact same kale salad! We laughed about it and ate them for three meals straight.

jj1236

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 9:21 pm
We were invited for a Shavuous meal once and were asked to bring dessert. Obviously I made a cheesecake but for wtvr reason, the hosts also made cheesecake. Anyway, it was fine and we just had both cheesecakes and acted as if it was a funny thing. In the future I would typically tell one person to bring fruit or something and another to bring a cake/cookie dessert.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
I had a few relatives staying over for Yom Tov and all three of us prepared the exact same kale salad! We laughed about it and ate them for three meals straight.

Must be a good salad! Please post the recipe.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 9:40 pm
It's something for everyone to laugh about. If it happens just serve them both. Not a big deal. Don't worry about it.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 9:42 pm
Years ago, I had 2 families come over for lunch. Neither asked what they could bring.
Not expected dessert to be brought, I baked brownies. (Mind you, I love to bake, but not when I have company coming and a million things to do and need my kitchen to be presentable).
Gust 1 shows up and hands me a plate of brownies.
Guest 2 shows up and hands me a plate of brownies.

B”H brownies are delicious.

Attention guest, if you are bringing something anyway, please tell your host in advance so she can plan accordingly.

kenz

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 9:45 pm
jj1236 wrote:
We were invited for a Shavuous meal once and were asked to bring dessert. Obviously I made a cheesecake but for wtvr reason, the hosts also made cheesecake. Anyway, it was fine and we just had both cheesecakes and acted as if it was a funny thing. In the future I would typically tell one person to bring fruit or something and another to bring a cake/cookie dessert.

We were once invited as guests for Shavuos and I asked if I could bring dessert, and was told yes. I specifically said a couple of days before, "Don't forget, I'm taking care of dessert," and was assured that dessert was my department. I specifically did NOT bake cheesecake b/c it was the last meal of yom tov and I knew everyone would have been eating cheesecake the whole yom tov. I made an involved caramel pie and went and bought 3 different flavors of ice cream to go with it, plus sauce. It took time, effort, and money. And then, at dessert time, I got a polite smile and thank-you and the hostess proceeded to bring out a full, store-bought cheesecake and barely touched my dessert.
I was not a happy camper. All she had to do with say she wanted to take care of it and I would have just sent over some flowers...

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:52 am
zaq wrote:
How about this: cut each cake in half horizontally. spread any flavor of jam or icing on top of the bottom layer of Cake #1; cover with the bottom layer of Cake #2. Spread the same or a different flavor of jam or icing on top of that layer; cover with the top half of Cake #1. Add one last layer of filling, top with the top half of Cake #2. Slice into very thin slices (it's double height, after all) and serve.

Or you could cut them horizontally and have Cake 1's top layer with Cake 2's bottom layer - and vice versa. "Hybrid cake" - yum!

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 3:18 am
kenz wrote:
We were once invited as guests for Shavuos and I asked if I could bring dessert, and was told yes. I specifically said a couple of days before, "Don't forget, I'm taking care of dessert," and was assured that dessert was my department. I specifically did NOT bake cheesecake b/c it was the last meal of yom tov and I knew everyone would have been eating cheesecake the whole yom tov. I made an involved caramel pie and went and bought 3 different flavors of ice cream to go with it, plus sauce. It took time, effort, and money. And then, at dessert time, I got a polite smile and thank-you and the hostess proceeded to bring out a full, store-bought cheesecake and barely touched my dessert.
I was not a happy camper. All she had to do with say she wanted to take care of it and I would have just sent over some flowers...

I wish you were MY guest!

WhatFor

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 4:04 am
jj1236 wrote:

Where I come from it's totally normal to have a bunch of different cheesecakes on Shavuot. I wouldn't have even thought it was a funny thing. Or maybe I'm biased because in my head there's no such thing as too much cheesecake.

kenz

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 6:18 am
WhatFor wrote:
Where I come from it's totally normal to have a bunch of different cheesecakes on Shavuot. I wouldn't have even thought it was a funny thing. Or maybe I'm biased because in my head there's no such thing as too much cheesecake.

When it’s discussed beforehand though and the guest is told to please bring dessert, if said guest then arrives and finds her dessert is completely superfluous and unnecessary, it makes her feel as if the host wasn’t comfortable with relying on her for this all-important task. At least that’s how it makes me feel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics