Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Is it true that some people don’t flush toilets on Shabbat?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:45 am
Why is that?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:49 am
Sorry, its not our business either way.
What if yes, if not...

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:54 am
When my mother was becoming frum, there was a sign up in her dorm, "It is permissible to flush the toilet on Shabbos!" Many girls were understandably nervous about pulling a lever and causing a noisy activity to take place on Shabbos.

So option A would be ignorance. If you don't know how a toilet works, you might rightfully be concerned that it is a melacha.

Option B would be that in some homes, there actually IS a melacha concern. There are homes which have electronic sewer pumps, and although they generally do not turn on immediately, or even after each flush, there is a possibility of grama, and possibly some choose to be strict with it.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:55 am
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Sorry, its not our business either way.
What if yes, if not...

these posts are so dumb
why do u have an issue if the OP is curious?
seriously. this website is all about respectfully learning about others customs and minhagim.

OP, we flush. never heard not to

heidi

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:27 am
My friend asked us to host her niece and nephew in law for Shabbat for her family simcha. They do not flush the toilet on Shabbat. I told her no.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:32 am
There is one type of toilet that's assur to flush on shabbos/yom tov. Most people don't have them. My in laws happen to have one in their loft so when we stayed there we used the main bathroom, or for number 1's in the night we just did it in the loft and didn't flush until after shabbos. Gross I know!!

We don't go anymore, no one uses the loft because my in laws can't host us any more. For years already which I'm glad about Smile

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:34 am
This post made me laugh. When we were little kids I had a friend who believed it was not allowed to flush the toilet on Shabbos, no matter how many times her parents assured her it was ok

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:36 am
we had non frum guests ask us this, but its a legitimate question since some toilets are indeed electric. If installing a toilet, make sure its shabbos compliant.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 7:53 am
There is also an issue with some of those cleansing things that people hang inside the toilet. The simplest solution is to take them out before Shabbos.

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 7:56 am
Some people don't use water coolers or they put a timer on the fridge for when they would be opening it.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:00 am
Of course, the frummest thing is not use the bathroom the whole of Shabbos. How can you contaminate the kedusha of the day with such base bodily functions!?!

Self control, ladies!

Hypnotized

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:10 am
I think I heard there might be issues with homes that have plumbing through some type of pump. It seems that they discovered that when there’s a power outage the toilets don’t flush. This is not the typical kind of plumbing. Most homes are not made like that. When I heard about this I also heard that there was a leniency to allow for flushing. I don’t know enough about it. I overheard people talking around 15 years ago. Op, everyone I know flushes. I’m from a very right wing/machmir community and we all flush on shabbos.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:40 am
I'd rather like to know why some men don't flush ever after #1 during the week! Happens a lot at my place if work, where there's only one toilet for all. Exploding anger

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I think I heard there might be issues with homes that have plumbing through some type of pump. It seems that they discovered that when there’s a power outage the toilets don’t flush. This is not the typical kind of plumbing. Most homes are not made like that. When I heard about this I also heard that there was a leniency to allow for flushing. I don’t know enough about it. I overheard people talking around 15 years ago. Op, everyone I know flushes. I’m from a very right wing/machmir community and we all flush on shabbos.

Yes so this is the type of toilet that my in laws have in their loft, they said it can't be changed but I'm sure it can. Either way no one uses it anymore. They can't downsize bc my fil is disabled and has everything nearby etc.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:44 am
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
Some people don't use water coolers or they put a timer on the fridge for when they would be opening it.

Sure, but those things are electric and deploying them can make motors or lights turn on and off. Most toilets are mechanical and work by gravity.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Yes so this is the type of toilet that my in laws have in their loft, they said it can't be changed but I'm sure it can. Either way no one uses it anymore. They can't downsize bc my fil is disabled and has everything nearby etc.

my fil was told that is the only type of toilet he can install in his basement. So it could be true.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
I'd rather like to know why some men don't flush ever after #1 during the week! Happens a lot at my place if work, where there's only one toilet for all. Exploding anger

Maybe because they're used to urinals which aren't flushed; urine just goes down a drain. Or else they're very very conscientious about water conservation. Or inconsiderate slobs. Any or all are possible.

hodeez

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 9:35 am
My husband once told me the issue is carrying from one domain to another, but doesn't apply for some reason

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
my fil was told that is the only type of toilet he can install in his basement. So it could be true.

Could be. I guess the people who buy their house next will either work something out, or have the same issue. People are desperate for their house, they're 2 people in a big house, extremely popular area but they're staying put Smile

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 9:56 am
I never heard of this but if there’s a toilet that’s halachikally problematic to flush I’d definitely change the toilet before moving in. Gross!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note