Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Decorator @ Living Quarters

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:53 am
I heard that they have decorators there to help out. I’m sure some are more experienced/professional than others.
I can call and ask for them. I need someone to help with layout of furniture and to help figure out style of the rooms and choose furniture accordingly.
Who do you recommend I speak with to decorate my living-dining room project?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 3:51 pm
I think that Pessy Friedman is their in house decorator. If you follow them on Instagram you might be able to see some of the work She’s done (they reference her).
I’m curious if anyone here has ever had her come to their home. I’d like a decorator to see my space in person.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:55 am
Did you end up using any of the decorators there?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:32 pm
No haven’t done it yet. Nervous to just let anyone whose at the desk be the one assigned to me.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No haven’t done it yet. Nervous to just let anyone whose at the desk be the one assigned to me.

Please post if you find someone you’re happy with.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:09 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I think that Pessy Friedman is their in house decorator. If you follow them on Instagram you might be able to see some of the work She’s done (they reference her).
I’m curious if anyone here has ever had her come to their home. I’d like a decorator to see my space in person.

Stores used to offer this service if you bought a certain amount

You could always call and see if they could work out an arrangement.

However it is unrealistic to expect someone to spend several hours without you paying them or committing to purchase a significant amount of merchandise.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:15 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Stores used to offer this service if you bought a certain amount

You could always call and see if they could work out an arrangement.

However it is unrealistic to expect someone to spend several hours without you paying them or committing to purchase a significant amount of merchandise.

I would pay to have the person come to my home and pay for their time - of course.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:29 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I would pay to have the person come to my home and pay for their time - of course.

Then it makes more sense for you to get a recommendation for a designer who is independent and would come to your house and provide you with a design plan.

There are designers who will work on an hourly basis and provide as much or as little as you want.

She would be able to source from multiple places and a good designer probably knows vendors that might have furniture you like better than Living Quarters and/or is a better value.

They would also be able to advise other other aspects such as paint, accessories, etc.

Having a designer in your space is actually a very good thing. I used a designer and she made decisions based on her "inhabiting" the space periodically

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:12 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Then it makes more sense for you to get a recommendation for a designer who is independent and would come to your house and provide you with a design plan.

There are designers who will work on an hourly basis and provide as much or as little as you want.

She would be able to source from multiple places and a good designer probably knows vendors that might have furniture you like better than Living Quarters and/or is a better value.

They would also be able to advise other other aspects such as paint, accessories, etc.

Having a designer in your space is actually a very good thing. I used a designer and she made decisions based on her "inhabiting" the space periodically

Can you provide the name?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:15 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Can you provide the name?

I am not in New York 🤷‍♀️

If you start a new thread asking for designer recommendations in New York someone I am sure will have a good recommendation.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 11:53 pm
Not in New York but I've heard great things about Krasee Benedek in Lakewood. Also I loooove shopping for home furnishing and decor at Living Quarters. Furnished my entire house there. Great selection and fabulous customer service.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:28 am
Amarante wrote:
I am not in New York 🤷‍♀️

If you start a new thread asking for designer recommendations in New York someone I am sure will have a good recommendation.

There were several threads like this, and hard to get recommendations for Brooklyn (unless you’re doing very high end or a whole house).

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 2:36 pm
Bump

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 3:51 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
There were several threads like this, and hard to get recommendations for Brooklyn (unless you’re doing very high end or a whole house).

It depends on the arrangement as designers have different ways of charging.

The classic business model is for a designer to make money from the markup between their trade price and what you agree to pay as a markup. My designer marked up 15% or 20% depending on what it was - I.e. custom designs that she did were a 20% markup over cost and stuff that was ordered was 15%

Designers who operate like this will also generally charge a fee for the design board which is recoupable against what you purchase so it is free if you go forward but you don't get the design board for free because it takes time and effort for a designer to create one.

That business model only works if you are spending a significant amount of money because otherwise there is just not enough money in a commission for it to be worth it for the designer.

However there are designers who charge by the hour and you can select what services you want. Some of them will design and help you with space planning so that they help you determine what furniture to keep and what to get. They will often give you parameters of what to look for so that when you go shopping on your own you have a sense of what works and have an overall plan.

My designer also worked with me in this way when I was looking for specific stuff like sconces or the bedroom. She would tell me what size I needed and what might work and then I could look through stuff and send her possibilities.

Other designers will go with you when you shop and this can be helpful if you want access to their sources like the D&D building in NY - although so much is now online that I am not sure it is a big deal to go to one of those to the trade places anymore.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 11:25 am
I have the same question. Is there more than one in-house decorator there? Have you worked with any of them and is there someone you’d recommend? I need living room furniture.
Asking for the Brooklyn location.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 11:28 am
If you're shopping at the New Jersey LQ location, then I highly recommend Mr. Fried.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 11:31 am
Their phone number is 732-367-6565 I think his extension is 300. You can call and set up an appt with him. He designed my entire home when I moved to Lakewood.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 12:17 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
If you're shopping at the New Jersey LQ location, then I highly recommend Mr. Fried.

Thanks - I’m looking in Brooklyn.

sweetdimples

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 12:25 pm
Never used her, but I heard Pessi Friedman has a great eye for design. Hatzluche

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 12:31 pm
sweetdimples wrote:
Never used her, but I heard Pessi Friedman has a great eye for design. Hatzluche

I’m sure she does, but she is very quick and decisive and expects you to make quick decisions on the spot too. And the color she chose for the couch wasn’t what I wanted.
So I’d like someone who moves a little slower and has the patience I need, but also has good taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries