Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If it was up to you where should they go? So
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:55 pm
Random thought #1: I don't really understand why any family would move somewhere without having a firm plan for their kids' education. Are people just assuming that they'll be the exception to the rule and schools in Lakewood, Monsey, etc will just squeeze them in? Do people not realize the situation is so bad until they get there?

Random thought #2: I wonder if more employers allowing employees to work from home would lead to more people living in true OOT communities away from the tri-state area. How many people moving to Lakewood and Monsey would move somewhere else if they could keep their NYC-based job?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
Random thought #1: I don't really understand why any family would move somewhere without having a firm plan for their kids' education. Are people just assuming that they'll be the exception to the rule and schools in Lakewood, Monsey, etc will just squeeze them in? Do people not realize the situation is so bad until they get there?

Random thought #2: I wonder if more employers allowing employees to work from home would lead to more people living in true OOT communities away from the tri-state area. How many people moving to Lakewood and Monsey would move somewhere else if they could keep their NYC-based job?

Regarding your second point, if employers did allow remote work, it would only take care of one aspect of true OOT living.

Pple do not want to move OOT for many reasons- jobs being one of them. There are limited kosher food amenities (few restaurants or takeout options), limited shul and school options, being far away from family/chasidish community... I am sure people have many more reasons in addition to these. Otherwise, there would have been some mass movements to Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Dallas, Cincinnati, South Bend, etc. (all functional jewish communities with basic infrastructure)... that ain't happening as far as I can tell!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 4:27 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:

Everyone I know got their kids into school before moving. Most don’t just move and hope for the best.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 4:48 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Everyone I know got their kids into school before moving. Most don’t just move and hope for the best.

People do move without a school and their kids end up sitting home for a while till askanim (that beg people to not move without having a school first) manage to get the kids into already overcrowded schools. This is a very selfish thing to do.
I know families that their kids either travel back to Brooklyn every day or stayin Brooklyn for the week because they didn't get into schools in Monsey. I know some families that moved back because of this.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Regarding your second point, if employers did allow remote work, it would only take care of one aspect of true OOT living.

Pple do not want to move OOT for many reasons- jobs being one of them. There are limited kosher food amenities (few restaurants or takeout options), limited shul and school options, being far away from family/chasidish community... I am sure people have many more reasons in addition to these. Otherwise, there would have been some mass movements to Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Dallas, Cincinnati, South Bend, etc. (all functional jewish communities with basic infrastructure)... that ain't happening as far as I can tell!!

I am in Chicago we are growing like leaps and bounds. In the bais yaakov/boys yeshiva 4 parallel classes is normal now plus 2 classes in the chassidish style cheder up the street. When my oldest (starting 5th) was going into pre1a it was 2 classes per grade. We had 60 new families last year and we are not the only school in town. We have a centrist day school, a MO school, chabad school and a chassidish cheder that I dont know enrolment numbers.

I thought detroit and cleveland also gets many new families.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:04 pm
And Florida
Not everyone even wants to live in Lakewood
Sorry for your issues very frustrating

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
And Florida
Not everyone even wants to live in Lakewood
Sorry for your issues very frustrating

My friend in Florida was kvetching to me that classes sizes are too big and the parents are petitioning the school to stop accepting new students without a plan.
She told me they started the school with small class sizes and are unhappy with the influx.
It’s not only lakewood for sure.

Scotty

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 6:31 pm
I have lived in Lakewood all my life. The traffic and overcrowding has become intolerable. Honestly I have no problem with more people moving in, AS LONG AS THEY RESPECT THE FACT THAT CARS AND PEOPLE NEED ROOM. Build all the houses you want - as long as they come complete with
- internal streets that are *two way* and can EASILY accommodate parked cars AND traffic AT THE SAME TIME (tough one I know)
- driveways big enough for ALL inhabitants of said houses to park their cars
- more than one exit per development (even *gasp* three or four) at least ONE of which is allowed to make a left turn exiting said development
- TRAFFIC STUDIES THAT INDICATE THE SURROUNDING ROADS CAN ACCOMMODATE AN ADDITIONAL INFLUX OF RESIDENTS.
And that’s not even talking about living space re:trees, grass, breathing room.

Yes, this will cut into developers’ profits. Yes, this may mean only 100 families can move into a given space instead of 120. But that’s life. Unless you build upward (apt buildings) and reclassify yourself as a city (with city level roads and infrastructure), the laws of physics are sadly predominant and there’s only so much space.

I love, love, love Jews. I hate, hate, HATE being stuck in my car for a heinous HOUR of carpool every day, traveling FIVE MILES of bumper to bumper parking lot where a road used to be because someone rezoned my town into city-level properties without giving a fig for how the overburdened roads would handle all the thousands of additional cars.

Lakewood is overfull. PLEASE come move next to me - but in the next township, spreading naturally instead of trying to squeeze into my lap. I know that might not be as convenient for you. But it’s the reality. Subdividing one lot into twenty doesn’t create more room, it creates more overcrowding and traffic, which is severely inconvenient for me Ans about a hundred thousand other residents who live here already.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 6:44 pm
Again talk to your elected officials,zoning regulators, and municipalities they are the ones in charge of developer regulations and expanding infrastructure appropriately.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 6:45 pm
Yes I saw the Florida schools are hiring more staff- definitely the way to accommodate. It was a fast influx during a crazy time last year. Bit of a different story.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:

You do realize that the school issue is not only an issue for families moving into town? I know of many young couples that were born and bred in Monsey that have a very difficult time getting their oldest into a school, even if they conform perfectly with the school's hashkafos. The only ones with no trouble are chasidim that belong to a chassidus that has its own mosdos. I'm sure that the same can be said for young families in Lakewood.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 8:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
But you have this. You have people moving to Manchester (Lakewood) and new suburbs of Monsey.

Except that they're still using Lakewoods schools, shopping, etc. Until they open up all the shops and schools in the surrounding towns, it's not really helping.
I'm not saying this in a bad way, just stating the facts. I'm saying it as a Toms River resident lol

GLUE

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:09 am
wifenmother wrote:
You do realize that the school issue is not only an issue for families moving into town? I know of many young couples that were born and bred in Monsey that have a very difficult time getting their oldest into a school, even if they conform perfectly with the school's hashkafos. The only ones with no trouble are chasidim that belong to a chassidus that has its own mosdos. I'm sure that the same can be said for young families in Lakewood.

A few years ago the Family First had an article about a chasidish family in Monsey that could not get there daughter into a school. A few years ago I was in a Kimpter house and the topic of schools came up, even if you are chasidish and belong to a group it is not a given that you will be accepted into that school.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating