Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Drinking this Purim and possibly pregnant?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:03 pm
This didn't get any responses over in the pregnancy forum, but maybe more people are here this time of year -

I am IYH going to mikva tomorrow night, and (finally!!!) going off BC! I hope and pray that I'll get pregnant right away, but obviously won't know for another few weeks. Should I avoid drinking on Purim? What effects do alcohol have on a baby that early (assuming Hashem is good to us)?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:18 pm
I think Mama Bear once posted that for the first week or two it's not a problem.

Dayzmom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:24 pm
Well if you were on hormonal bc it takes a few cycles to get back to normal. If not then ditto what Crayon said.

Even if there is a chance of getting preg. how much do you intend to drink? A few mixed drinks or a glass of wine should be fine. Many pple drink before they realize they shouldn't have.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:26 pm
Dayzmom wrote:
Well if you were on hormonal bc it takes a few cycles to get back to normal. If not then ditto what Crayon said.

Even if there is a chance of getting preg. how much do you intend to drink? A few mixed drinks or a glass of wine should be fine. Many pple drink before they realize they shouldn't have.

It can take a few cycles to get back to normal, but this isn't necessarily so. How many people have you heard of that got pregnant their first cycle off hormonal BC? I've heard of quite a few.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:30 pm
My doctor said not to assume that it would take a few months, and to be ready to get pregnant right away. I don't plan on drinking so much, I am hosting a whole bunch of people and making shabbos. But lechatchila I would never want to harm the baby!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:31 pm
wheni got engaged I started preparing for a healthy babay by taking care of myself. if you're concerned, don't drink then.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:35 pm
I drank and smoke when I was pregnant, I didn't know at the time, B"H the baby was healthy and the doctor told me the first 2 or 3 weeks nothing happens

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:45 pm
the first couple of weeks the embryo gets all nourishment from the yolk sac and not the mother. in any case, if youre going ot the mik this week, you wont even be pregnant by purim, sinc eimplantation happens a week after ovulation. the alcohol wont reach the embryo.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:

I am IYH going to mikva tomorrow night, and (finally!!!) going off BC!

Me too! Same exact situation...

Dayzmom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:48 pm
Of course you guys are right, it is possible to get preg right away, although not likely. Then again, if this is the case I still defer to the end of my post.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 8:53 pm
never too early .....

Hannah!

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 9:09 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 9:11 pm
I'm pretty sure there is no chiyuv for a woman to drink.

Am I the only one who learned that it is considered vulgar for women to get drunk?

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 3:04 pm
I never drink on Purim (or ever). I don't handle alcohol very well
Drunken Smile Puke

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 3:21 pm
Hannah! wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
never too early .....

While normally I would agree with you, in this particular case I disagree as there is a chiyuv to drink (to a limited extent) at the Purim seuda and drinking would pose absolutely no problems to the OP's theoretical pregnancy should she conceive bwn. going to the mikvah and the seudah on Fri.

There is no mitzva at all for women to drink. It is actually assur for a woman to drink if there are men there other than her husband, for tzniyus reasons. Maybe women are chayav in basar v'yayin, but a sip would be enough for that.

mom7270

Post Tue, Mar 18 2008, 3:25 pm
I cant see how it could possibly affect the baby at that point.. and thats IF you do get pregnant this time.... just dont overdo it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics