Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you take leave every early Friday?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 3:57 pm
Please ONLY answer if you work 40 hours or more per week.

I am starting a new job and I'm very nervous about telling them I need to leave 2 hours early on Fridays in winter.
Do I offer to come in 2 hours earlier? Do I offer to stay an hour later another day? Do I take leave every Friday?

What do you do to fit in your 40 hours? Are they generally understanding?
I'm so scared of how they'll react.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please ONLY answer if you work 40 hours or more per week.

I am starting a new job and I'm very nervous about telling them I need to leave 2 hours early on Fridays in winter.
Do I offer to come in 2 hours earlier? Do I offer to stay an hour later another day? Do I take leave every Friday?

What do you do to fit in your 40 hours? Are they generally understanding?
I'm so scared of how they'll react.

While I am working remotely right now I have usually worked in offices.

I've told them I would come in an hour or two early and work through lunch, eating at my desk. It's never been an issue, but I work in a very casual environment.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:03 pm
I work late Monday nights to make up the hours.
They are happy to have me then so it is never an issue.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:03 pm
I was hired in July so it wasn't an issue for the first few months.I work for a government agency, so I knew they had to allow me to leave early for religious observance. What they didn't have to do was pay me for the time off. I could take leave without pay, use my personal and annual leave, or make up the hours during the week. What I did was offer to come in earlier the rest of the week to make up the time. For many years I had to apply for this schedule every year before we changed the clocks and go back to a normal schedule in the spring. Eventually I got the same schedule year-round.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:15 pm
It’s very very difficult. When the clock changes I present them either a calendar as to how I’ll make it up each week. I stay as late as possible and really only leave early from November till February

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:19 pm
I leave one hour early on Fridays during the winter. Its not easy at all. When I first started at this job, I used an hour of PTO. Then I started coming in 30 minutes early twice a week, and eventually my boss gave me the hour off without needing to deduct PTO.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:20 pm
Originally I offered to come in two hours early on early shabbosos. Now it’s kind of, I can leave when I’m done. Which is usually around 2-3. I’m much more makpid on my time during November-February. I work office hours, but in a hospital.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:48 pm
I told them when I started that I would have to leave early, and asked when I should make up the hours. I was told to do the extra hours any other time during the week (weekends, starting early, finishing late) as long as the timing didn't stop me from doing the work. (ie at 2AM when no one is in the office to answer an important question)

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:59 pm
My sister was invited for an interview for her first job late Friday afternoon, so she had to call them and ask to change the time. She put down the phone and said, 'I've lost that job'. At the interview (on Friday morning) she explained in more depth about short winter Fridays.

She came home convinced that she had no chance of getting the job after all that, and regretting it because it was a slightly unusual position that she really wanted. Ten minutes before candle lighting, the phone rang, and they offered her the job.

Sometimes she worked on Sunday instead of Friday, and other times she made up the hours on a different day.

While she was explaining about Shabbos, she had mentioned the chagim as well. She figured it was easier to explain everything at once, and not leave awkward conversations for later. They were more than generous in giving her time off for all the chagim, including Chanukah, with no further questions.

gibberish

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:07 pm
Adjust your schedule so you always leave early on Friday. My recommendation is the Friday schedule should be consistent all year round. Either come in super early on Friday or work extra the rest of the week.

egam

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:24 pm
It depends on many factors. Salaried vs hourly, your company policy, your boss's attitude.

I had some managers that couldn't care less if I make up those hours because in the long run, it all evens out when we have to stay late. As long as I'm not behind in my projects.

Some thought that as long as I'm home by the sundown, it's all good. They needed an education.
For one of the job's I had, I worked extra half and hour Monday thru Thursday and skipped Friday lunch so I can leave at 2 pm. I had this schedule all year around and that was much more easy for everyone. I was the first ever shomer Shabbos employee there and they did ask me about my accommodation at my previous job.

Right now I, BH, work from home Fridays, so that's a big help.

I think if you are open with them and approach them with different options, your employer will be much more willing to accommodate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics