Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please help me plan my trip Lancaster , PA
1  2  3  Next

cinnabon

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:22 am
Hi! I would like to go with my family to Lancaster between camp and school. Looking to spend 4 days there .
I have a 4yo and 6yo boy.
Would love to hear what’s most enjoyable (pref not too expensive) there for children those ages.
Also, would anyone know if there are any houses with pools that we can rent there?

Thanks!!

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:30 am
You can spend all day in cherry crest farm. It's a huge farm/park and there is tons and tons of activities to do there.

If your kids like animals, you can book a farm tour in verdant view farms - they take you around and it's super interactive. You can hold the bunny, chickens, find eggs that they serve for breakfast, play with tiny adorable goats and milk a cow! It was the highlight of our trip.

There are also horse and buggy rides that you can do.

There is the Strasburg train that runs through Lancaster and gives tours and rides, of that's your jam.

Of course there's Hershey chocolate factory and the amusement park I forgot what it's called cuz my family is more of the animal and nature type.

You have to bring food along, btw Smile

Enjoy! We just came home and it was a fabulous trip!

Eta: you can check on swimply for local pools to rent.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:33 am
Dutch Wonderland -an amusement park for kids under age 12. It’s a fun place and they have a water park too.

Cherry Crest Farm. A full day trip

Go Bananas is an indoor arcades and soft play place in case of rain . My kids ages 3 through 15 enjoyed it.

tymama

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:35 am
We love cherry crest farm. Really takes a whole day to do everything.
Dutch wonderland is great too
Hershey park isn’t far but might be too old for your kids age

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 12:43 pm
Following. I googled supermarkets in Lancaster and it said weis supermarket has a kosher section. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

cinnabon

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 1:50 pm
Thanks all for the Info!
Cherry crest farm and Dutch wonderland seems great ! Is Dutch wonderland a water park or amusement park?
I’m thinking of doing crayons factory otw up.

My kids love animals and also love love pools. I was trying to find an air bnb with pool but had no luck. Swimply sounds like a great second option.

Any info on minyanim or shuls in the area?

sky

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Following. I googled supermarkets in Lancaster and it said weis supermarket has a kosher section. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Grocery stores had some kosher items. Easiest is to just bring from home. If it’s 1-3 days it’s not so hard.
Breads may be kosher but not pas yosroel.

Kosher pizza: https://www.degelisrael.org/pi.....ukkah

From shul website - it looks like it is down now but has this info:

The shul has a limited number of items for sale including packaged food items and dairy including chalav yisrael milk, yogurt and ice cream. Kosher meat and chicken are available at:

Weiss Markets, 1700A Fruitville Pike, Lancaster
Wegman’s, 2000 Crossings Blvd, Lancaster (off Harrisburg Pike)

Chalav Yisrael (Kreider Farms) milk is available at:

Giant Food Store (at Stone Mill Plaza), 1360 Columbia Ave., Lancaster
Weiss Markets (Kendig Square) 2600 Willow Street Pike, Willow St, PA

Food Available at Degel (mini mart) - Call Abba Leeder - (717) 471-5765

Hersheypark

We had anticipated opening the Kosher Food Truck inside Hersheypark on August 1st, 2020
However, the truck did NOT operate at all the 2020 season inside Hersheypark.

Last edited by sky on Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:03 pm
A few years back I really wanted to rent an airbnb with a pool in lancaster but had no luck finding one.

Was anyone there this year? Is Dutch Wonderland enforcing that kids wear masks?

You can usually catch mincha in the theme parks and the very popular hotels there is maariv arranged too sometimes.

Below is the website to the local shul.

https://www.degelisrael.org/

cinnabon

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:04 pm
Thank you for the info about shuls.

I didn’t think about masks, thought that they’re not mandated anymore...
Would be a real bummer if kids would need to wear on the trip.
Anyone know about crayons factory? If need to wear masks there ?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:30 pm
We went there 2 wks ago. Went to Dutch wonderland cherry crest farm. Didn’t have to wear a mask anywhere.

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:43 pm
In cherry crest farm, this past week there were so many Jewish families they announced mincha at 230pm over the loudspeakers.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:25 pm
Did anyone with kids 5 and under go on an actual tour of amish town? And on the horse and buggies?

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:00 am
We did AAA buggy tour today. It was amazing! They take u on a tour around Amish town , the tour shows you around town and you can ask her all your questions about their culture and lifestyle.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:19 pm
For a rainy day you're not far from Turkey Hill or Herrs (a bit further but we loved it). All the other ideas are great. The shul there has a little makolet in the back where they sell the basics to raise money for the shul which is nice and works if you need more food. Lots of cholov yisroel because that's where other communities actually get their milk from.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:58 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
We did AAA buggy tour today. It was amazing! They take u on a tour around Amish town , the tour shows you around town and you can ask her all your questions about their culture and lifestyle.

Do they bring you back to the same spot they took you from? Asking because bringing a stroller along

amf

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:01 pm
The choo choo barn was very enjoyable for kids and adults;) especially on a rainy day

Haven't been back in years though so I don't know the most up to date info

Ihatepotatoes

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:02 pm
Dutch Wonderland is a must if you're willing to spend the money. It seems like a lot, but you could seriously spend an entire day there with your kids. With Hershey Park you'd be running around trying to find the age-appropriate rides, but in DW practically everything is in that age group. And while your 6 YO is on the roller coaster your 4 YO has a ride for him just a few feet away.

Otherwise, if that's beyond your budget, I'd second Cherry Crest Farms, the Stroudsberg Railroad, and the classic Lancaster stuff I.e. Horse and Buggy rides, corn maze, etc...

Also on your list should be the Turkey Hill Experience. The Ice cream tasting is not Chalav Yisroel, but the Iced Tea is OU Parve, and there are quite a few fun activities there.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:04 pm
The shul has A TON of food. Bachurim grilling hot dogs and such outside, also pizza inside the Yeshiva. a small grocery actually has the Meal Mart microwave meals for cheaper than some Boro Park/ Flatbush grocery stores, plus danishes, milk, ices/ice cream, etc...

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:07 pm
We are in Lancaster now.

We did dutch wonderland yesterday

Today we did a buggy ride (Aaron and Jessica), Strasburg railroad and choo choo barn

Tomorrow will be cherry crest farm

Thursday we booked a tour at kreiders farm. Maybe we'll also do Turkey hill (I wasn't going to because my kids would nit be able to taste the ice cream. But if they can have iced tea then maybe its worth it)

We were going to do the herr's factory but they are still closed for tours due to covid

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:13 pm
[quote="amother [ Tealblue ]"]

Today we did a buggy ride (Aaron and Jessica), Strasburg railroad and choo choo barn[quote]

Did you need to make reservations for these things?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics