Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Are there any social work programs in israel, in english?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:12 am
Subject line says it all.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:19 am
I don't think there's any college or universities in English here. If you want something that isn't a degree per say like graphic design, photography, etc.

But social work is a degree....
You could do your program online if you'd like.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:23 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I don't think there's any college or universities in English here. If you want something that isn't a degree per say like graphic design, photography, etc.

Isn't IDC in Herzilya in English? But it's very expensive.

Also I think there is the Rothberg School at Hebrew U. But not sure what degrees they offer. They have a lot of international students.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:26 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Isn't IDC in Herzilya in English? But it's very expensive.

Also I think there is the Rothberg School at Hebrew U. But not sure what degrees they offer. They have a lot of international students.

I thought all international students study in Hebrew and have Ulpan classes and help with the Hebrew.

I may be wrong though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:28 am
LovesHashem wrote:

Thanks, Im specifically looking for social work.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:30 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I thought all international students study in Hebrew and have Ulpan classes and help with the Hebrew.

I may be wrong though.

No, IDC הבין-תחומי and Rothberg school are in English AFAIK.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:36 am
Thanks. I lookd at both of those options and they do not have social work programs. Oh well.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 2:52 am
If you want to be social worker in Israel, you're going to need conversational Hebrew. Studying in hebrew, with Israeli girls would give you a good chance to acquire that. In my experience of university here, the other students tend to be helpful, and most teachers allow you to write papers in English, even though the course is taught in Hebrew.

Don't forget that understanding is easier than talking. You'll probably understand a good proportion of the classes to start with, and you'll improve over time. This will give you four years in a mostly Israeli environment. That's giving you a great opportunity to really improve your Hebrew which it would be hard to find another way.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:00 am
Elfrida wrote:
If you want to be social worker in Israel, you're going to need conversational Hebrew. Studying in hebrew, with Israeli girls would give you a good chance to acquire that. In my experience of university here, the other students tend to be helpful, and most teachers allow you to write papers in English, even though the course is taught in Hebrew.

Don't forget that understanding is easier than talking. You'll probably understand a good proportion of the classes to start with, and you'll improve over time. This will give you four years in a mostly Israeli environment. That's giving you a great opportunity to really improve your Hebrew which it would be hard to find another way.
Im in Israel almost 2 decades. Im fluent in hebrew and nowhere near the age of any "girls" that would be in any programs.
Im just not sure Id be comfortable studying in hebrew, thats all.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:03 am
I would be surprised if there is a social work program in English. Whereas in technical fields you may be able to get away with all English, the very nature of social work means you will probably be working in the public sector (someone correct me if I am wrong), and Hebrew is pretty necessary there.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im in Israel almost 2 decades. Im fluent in hebrew and nowhere near the age of any "girls" that would be in any programs.
Im just not sure Id be comfortable studying in hebrew, thats all.

So maybe it's time to challenge yourself! As I said, you can normally write papers in English, and at worst you can pay to get them translated.

As far as age goes, there are always a few outliers. My friend studied social work in her forties, and she wasn't the only one in her age range in the class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions